Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
mhw100
My Device: Bold 9700

Screen brightness - am I the only crazy one that thinks its dim

The screen brightness on the Z10 and every other phone on the market is fantastic compared to the Q10 which is dim by comparison.  I've compared mine to other Q10's and they are all dim so I know mine is not defective.

I see very few complaints about this on the web which means it can't be considered to be significantly terrible. 

However, in a dark room the auto brightness makes reading text on a yellow/dark background which is supposed to be white , very difficult.

Does anyone know if BB is going to put in fix so the user can disable auto brightness.

Retired
WheresWaldo
My Device: Z10 9800 9900

Re: Screen brightness - am I the only crazy one that thinks its dim

Hey mhw100,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question. The darkness of the screen is by design and makes the BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone more battery efficient. This is built in and cannot be changed.

Thank you for the feedback

Cheers

-WW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
mhw100

Thanks for the response. Can an auto brightness toggle not be put in as an option similar to previous OS. Darkened room viewing of a web page of text on a white page is eye straining and a poor experience. It's almost as if this was never tested.
New Contributor
kobekilo
My Device: bb q10

yes i agree.  with auto dimming on the Q10, it is very difficult to read the screen in low lit rooms.  BB should alow the user to disable it on the Q10 just as they have done on other phones.  It is very diificult to read the screen when the phone does the auto dimming.  its crazy how poor the screen gets.  if Q10 is a high end phone then BB should put in the feature to allow customer to turn OFF auto dimming!!  Hopefully BB will respond and put in this feature ASAP.  if they dont then I will be switching to iphone.  I have been a BB user for a very long time and refuse to change to another device... but with this auto dimming feature on the Q10 i probably will switch to iphone if BB does not fix the problem.

New Contributor
alphabetagaga
My Device: Q10

screen brightness is fine. both indoors and out. set at 35%. coming from a n4 i found that screen even with auto brightness set was too uncomfortable to read in a darkened room
New Contributor
mhw100

Are you telling me at 35 that text on a white Web page in a room with the lights out is ok?
New Contributor
alphabetagaga

perfectly for me. what is fine for my eyes will not be the same for others.
Contributor
Tupee
My Device: blackberry Q10

I disagree with the brightness on the phone. If you went outside with the blackberry on its lowest dimming of background light the sun would not have any sun glare effect on the screen. Yet if you had a another top quality smartphone like HTC or samsung it doesn't matter how bright the screen is out side it will be terribly effected by by sun glare. That's what my HTC and samsung did
New Contributor
alphabetagaga

so you are ok with the brightness levels on the q10 or not? i cant work out if you

disagree with the original post
or
disagree with the brightness setting on the q10
New Contributor
djorgenson
My Device: Q10 Z10 9930

I tend to agree on the brightness issue. It is really a pain to use outside! I have both the Z10 and Q10 and the Z10 does much better both indoors and outdoors. I would like to use the Q10 as my main device but the screen is really bothering me. I know the OLED screen on the Q10 is the issue, however I would assume (and I may be wrong) that the brightness issue could be addressed through software. I would easily sacrifice an hour or two of battery life for a brighter screen.