Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
fastartcee
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Sudden battery drain problem

Since I bought my Q10 over a year ago it has had good battery life, near 2 days; suddenly it's 5 or 6 hrs.

2 gmail accounts

BBM: minor usage, with small contact list

No games

Data turned off

From Device Monitor, Battery: System varies from 40% to 55%; all other apps/tasks 'Idle'

From CPU Usage: cyclical variation, 32% to 50%

From WiFi Usage: cyclical variation, 9 to 12 MB (near 600 MB over past 48 hrs?!)

I've installed 'Taskmanager' this morning, and used it to stop four apps; made no difference.

This battery drain problem started 4 or 5 days ago. So what might be going on? Any suggestions would be welcome; it's very frustrating to have to have a charger at hand constantly.

Art

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Re: Sudden battery drain problem

What? No hints or suggestions from anyone in the Group? :smileysad:

Battery getting sucked dry at a steady rate. System still chewing away at 43%, plus or minus. This has been going on for several days now!

BTW, other than Taskmanager, I've install no new apps for months.

Help?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
MrDJ
My Device: Q10 (rip Torch)

have you just or recently updated the operating system?

this is one of the main reasons for battery drain and it can take upto 3 days to settle down but if yours has been doing it for 5 days i have no idea on that one.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

The last update (the latest version) occurred about two weeks ago. I don't recall the battery problem developing until maybe a week later. No apps installled or deleted since before last update (except for Taskmanager).

I've just deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts to see if that would make any difference. Nope...  no difference.

I suppose I could try deleting my two gmail accounts, one at a time, and see if that matters.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

I am getting mighty confused, not to say perplexed!!

I just turned off WiFi (data was already off). Device Monitor shows WiFi usage at zero, and decreased CPU usage (from 45% to 16%), but System is still at 42%, plus or minus, and battery usage HAS INCREASED (from 10% up to 12%). Battery still straight-lining to dead.

What the hell is going on??

(Does BlackBerry have any staff techie monitoring this Group? If so, SPEAK UP!)

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Aha! A  reboot seems to have helped, as System is down to single digits.

(Strange, tho, 'cuz a restart a couple days ago didn't seem to accomplish anything.)

I then restarted WiFi, and after a blip of usage, System has settled back down to single digits.

Problem might be solved. I'll report after perhaps a day, and after I've recreated my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

it is several days later and everything is normal again, with the battery lasting about two days. The system seemed to have been in an endless loop, perhaps having to do with updating accounts. Stopping all network activity and rebooting corrected whatever the problem was.
Please use plain text.