Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,753
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Support options?

I don't believe he's tried that first number, perhaps it will work for him.

If you read this thread, you'd see I've already given him the other numbers.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
joachimbuechse
My Carrier: Swisscom

Anyone reading this, I would strongly suggest to take the content behind this link with a big grain of salt.

After the friendly but in my case not very helpful advice from Mr Sanders I contacted Blackberry support and they suggested to turn Wifi and 4G off. This has brought my "standby" time from 1.5 days to almost 3 days. Still very far from what I would expect or what was advertised by BB but quite an improvement. My next test will be to turn 3G off (i.e. live with plain old time division multiplex only).

JSanders wrote:

Ten ways to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life

That referes to the Z10, but all also apply to the Q10.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

That's absurb device... it's a mobile smartphone.

It's like trying to save gas in a car by not driving it. Yea, that sure works, but it doesn't serve the purpose of the automobile. Turning your network connection to 3G only or even lower, you might as well just go get a an old 8900 BlackBerry.

So, yea, disabling WiFi when NOT on a WiFi router is a good idea, of course. Always.

The link you say to take with a "big grain of salt" was written by BlackBerry technical support.

And, I know the guy who wrote it and he's probably more knowledgeable than anyone AT BlackBerry on the device.

The link says:

...turning off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or NFC as well as changing your cellular connection to use a different network technology may not improve battery life. We recommend using Wi-Fi whenever possible because it offers substantial power savings, so make sure you are actively adding Wi-Fi networks and hotspots to your smartphone as you come across them...

Anyway, take all the pot shots you want at me to make yourself feel like a big boy, but you're making yourself look silly.

Oh! you can also extend battery life by turning the Q10 OFF!!!!!  Your battery will last for days!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
joachimbuechse

Again Mr Sanders, I think you should not take things so personal and I would like you to stop aggressing me.

I've described my experience here, nothing more nothing less. The advice to turn Wifi and 4G off comes from Blackberry technical support in Switzerland. I told them that I was given a link that says to keep Wifi on, the guy put me on hold, came back and confirmed "turn it off to save power".

I set email polling to 30minutes for business and 2h for personal so the few milliseconds 4G will safe me over 3G dont merit a single minute of lost battery life for ME.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

joahcim, give it a rest. You made it personal yourself in YOUR second post in this thread, after I KINDLY and RESPECTFULLY answered your initial post. Scroll and read.

Any one who begins a sentence with the silly statement of "no offense" is about to INTENTIONALLY offend. And you did. "Co-sufferers" "none of them relevant" "your battery tips" (lol, not mine), etc. and so on. My response to your initial post did nothing to merit your rude response.

joachimbuechse wrote:

I've described my experience here, nothing more nothing less. 

pffffttttt... hogwash. You've got some kind of chip on your shoulder with BlackBerry. It's evident from your posts.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9

Joachim, my Q10 works for 1.5 days between recharges, I konw this is not what BlackBerry advertised but I am happy with that autonomy, coming from an iPhone 4GS. I have found an app, Free Battery Booster, works for 3 days without paying, and it, somehow, extended my battery life with 4-6 hours. I can't recommend this app but, give it a try, just to see if you can get some benefit. If yes, I think a better battery management from BlackBerry should be desirable with the next SW update. And yes, you are right, we are lightyears away from what BlackBerry claims on battery autonomy still, I am quite happy since iPhone didn't deliver this autonomy with the same generous specs.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joachimbuechse

[ Edited ]

Blackberry

1) advertises specs that suggest a standby time of one week

2) only delivers 1 day in default configuration

3) does not provide aid in modifying the device config such that it can get close to the spec

That's what I have a problem with.

To Mr Sanders: Regarding your other comments I feel like this is just getting silly. This was never meant as a personal conversation - I think I made this clear several times. If you feel personnally attacked by what I write then I invite you to stop reading this thread, I'm sure there is a feature for that in the forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9

I completely agree with all the above. I see no way for getting 1 week standby.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Just FYI, the phone will stay in standby for a week. In standby, with no network connected, no WiFi, no accounts configured, etc. But that is not your case, your device is not staying in Standby the entire time.

I took my Q10 and did that just this past week (27th), removed all accounts, charged to 100%, and left it. It actually ran dead in six days and would have gone longer in standby had I not taken it OUT of standby to check a few things each day. Watching my battery monitor usage, I can see those power spikes when I was using the device out of standby.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
joachimbuechse

[ Edited ]

Actually, I found the solution now.

As I wrote before I had set the phone to

• Wifi off
  • 2G+3G only
  • wake from "sleep" only with "power button"

and was getting >2 days of standby. As this is still completely inacceptable for any phone in my opinion I tried the final trick that worked with the first UMTS phones I've seen some years back:

• turn 3G off (i.e 2G only)

Et voila! With 2G only battery life is as it should be. I took my BB off the charger yesterday at 8:30 in the morning, it's now 18:30. So I've had 34 hours of normal operation including some phone calls and my regular email polling (30min business, 2h private account) and quick email reading 3-4 times per day. My battery indicator still shows about 80% full (could also be 70% not sure if there is a precise indicator somewhere).

I'd be very interested to hear what your results are with 2G only. If this is consistent for other users than I can imagine a rather straight forward software improvement that can boost the BB battery life to what BB advertises.

cu Joachim

PS: I'll see how much battery life I get out of the BB with the current setting and will then try turning Wifi back on.

Please use plain text.