Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
joachimbuechse
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: Support options?

I've did some more "measurements" with my Q10 - i.e. systematicaly recorded the times of usage. Here they are:

# 2G + 3G, Wifi off, unlock only via Power Key
# Do 4.7. 12:20 fully charged - Sa 6.7. 10:00 yellow blinking, empty
# Sa 6.7. 12:30 fully charged - So 7.7. 22:00 turns off (lots of pictures taken)
# Mo 7.7. 09:00 fully charged - Mi 10.7. 11:30 turns off

# 2G only, Wifi off, unlock only via Power Key
# Do 11.7. 08:30 fully charged - Di 16.7. ~10:00 turns off
# Di 16.7. 17:00 fully charged - Sa 20.7. ~18:00 turns off (incl several downloads through Wifi)

# 3G [three!] only, Wifi off, unlock only via Power Key
# So 21.7. 09:00 fully charged - Di 23.7. ~21:00 yellow blinking, 0% battery
# Mi 24.7. 09:00 fully charged - Fr 26.7. ~15:00 yellow blinking, 0% battery

As I wrote before, I'm more of a classical user than a geek. I'm using the phone to make and receive a couple of usually short calls per day, check my mail maybe 3-4 times per day, have a look at my calendar maybe 1-2 times per day. Overall active usage of the Q10 is most likely somewhere between 45-60 minutes per day most of which are phone calls.

To sum up the results

• "2G + 3G + 4G + Wifi" gave me less than 1.5 days, sometimes less than a day.
  • "2G + 3G" mode gives me 1.5-2 days off battery life
  • "2G" gives me 4-5 days of battery life
  • "3G" gives me about 2.5 days.

My conclusions:

• 2G only blows the others out of the water and is the only setting that provides reasonable battery life. While 4-5 days is still a lot worse than my previous phones and a factor of 3 from what BB advertises it is somewhat acceptable to me.
  • I had no coverage problems when using 3G only and that setting already provides better battery life than 2G+3G.

Hope this information may be useful to someone who is sufferung from unacceptable standby time.

BB should probably invest some brain power into their network selection / polling algorithm. When on 2G the phone is reachable and as long as you are static it can even retrieve small amounts of data (like email headers or calendar updates) with reasonable delay. When the user launches a browser or attachments need to be fetched the phone could switch to 3G or 4G. Can't be that hard to implement given that BB has complete control of the sources unlike most Android "producers".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

Re: Support options?

I have performed the same tests and I agree with the above statements: 2G+3G = 2 days, 3G = 2.5 days. Many thanks for your update, pointed me in the right direction!

Please use plain text.