Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
fastpuppy
My Device: Q10

The Q10 - Poorly designed P O S.

[ Edited ]

So... I've had a Blackberry now since 2003 (I think it was a 6230) and now that relationship will end with my Q10.

To say I am unhappy with the phone is a understatement.

Within 3 hours of trying to get this phone set up correctly I found myself amazed at the level of agitation that this phone inspired.

Ok...here is a list of what I found so far

1 - This swipe up thing has got to go.
-------------------------------------------------
- if the controls for scroll down and close the app are the same then there are going to be problems
- if I am trying to get to something in a call I seem to invariably hang up the phone

fix:

2 - Blackberry "hub" email etc...
- get rid of it and put the icons for the accounts back on the **bleep** desktop!

Where the hell is my message count?

Seriously what was your development team thinking here? Do any of them actually use email?

email in general on the phone is poorly thought out.

3 - speeddial
why is this so overly complicated?

Why do the instructions on the blackberry website not work?

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/50635/amc1343097705599.jsp

It used to be you hold down the key you want to dail the person. Why would you change that?

The guys at Crackberry.com released a video on this called:
Brainstorming BB10: Please fix Speed Dial on the BlackBerry Q10!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0uu4vjL1Ik&feature=youtu.be

4 - End call button on the
the button has been on the right for over a decade.

Why did they move it to the left?

On every Blackberry I have ever had it was on the right. On most other phones on the market it is either on the right or in the center.

I know this sounds like a minor detail and I guess I could "get used to it" but this is just a silly change for the sake of change.

5 - Screen design
- I am not exactly sure how they managed this but they made the screen larger and seem more cramped at the same time.

6 - Calendar: Agenda view
why does it not show ALL upcoming events?
Or at least the next 3 events in the calendar?
THAT is what agenda view means!

I'll add more to this post if I decide to keep this phone but as it stands now I'll probably be returning it very soon. 

Trusted Contributor
petercreasey

Re: The Q10 - Poorly designed P O S.

F, Take a breath!

You will come to like the Q10.

. . . . . Pete
New Contributor
fastpuppy

Pete... it's not going to come to that. 

I sat with a friend who had recommended the Q10 for a while today to just make sure I was not over reacting. It turns out he is a light email user and does not use the calendar at all (which is my lifeline). 

I was willing to deal with the odd functionality but the fact that it doesn't give me a running message count and the agenda view of the calendar make it completely unworkable for me. I rely on my phone for work and I can't afford 

What saddens me is that it seems to be all just poorly designed UI issues.
The mechanics of the phone seem to work really well in terms of syncing data, multi-tasking, etc... 

Returning the phone tomorrow. 

Trusted Contributor
petercreasey

F, It sounds like you and I are similar users.

The Q10 will grow on you and you will come to really appreciate it.

. . . . . Pete
Contributor
amckayceng
My Device: Q10, 9900, 8900, PlayBook*2

Fastpuppy,

I had similar issues with the Q10, but perseverence does work, although the speed-dial function is a bit of a pooper! Try and change the text settings to a larger font, this helped me, but as you say, the Q10 is a good phone/browser, but operationally - it is a differnt animal from the 8900/8520(?)/9900.

Hope you stick with BB, as they are a great Co.
I do not work for BB, only believe they have the best products.
New Contributor
fastpuppy

I just want to say thanks to Pete & amckayceng for thier feedback on what was admittedly a rant... albiet a fairly detailed rant.

I have other issues with the interface that are untennable and I'll be glad to switch back to my Bold 9900 (I never thought I'd ever say that!).

From the teeny tiny font sizes on the message counts to the hiding away of the email in that silly hub this is simply not a work phone.

As to getting used to the interface, sure I'll accept a minimal level of that (and yes it does get easier) but from a usability standpoint it should require faultless deterity and visual accuity to operate a phone.

Killers for me were
 - hidden message counts (HATE the hub)

- the fact that it took too many clicks or swipes to do pretty much anything (more than 3 is unacceptable ever)

- general work flow

- too much **bleep** swiping

- an on screen end call button that stalls often

The user interface of ANY phone should be quick, efficient and easy to use.
The BB10 interface is none of those.

New Contributor
fastpuppy

I can't believe they censor **bleep**

tunexs
My Device: q10 but not for long

I have had a Q10 for three days now and it has caused me more frustration than my EX wife. I am super disappointed but even more so I am frustrated with the Q10 it is the worst designed phone ever. As a loyal blackberry user, it hurts to say it but good riddance to them. A smart phone is supposed to make you more productive this POS Has done nothing to enhance my experience. It makes the easiest tasks a challenge with the so called touch screen. Too bad as I was a definite supporter of the tactile screen and have a 9730 for work and had a Bold for personal us I would go back to the bold in a moment however as it is old and issues I will need to move on beyond the Q10 as I can not put up with 2 years of this frustration. As for the work 9730 I believe it will have an incident and need to be replaced very shortly in the near future. As for BlackBerry I count for two more customers gone and will take as many with me as I can. I hope they follow NORTEL.