Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
mmarko
My Device: q10

Time Zone Change when editing an existing appointment

When I try to edit an existing appointment from my new Q10, it sometimes - and this is the confusing part as it is not always, changes the time zone to Mountain (-2 hours from my zone, Eastern). I synchronize with Outlook, but that is set for Eastern. I'm not sure why it does this, but it's quite frustrating to have to check to ensure the appointment has not been switched to Mountain. It seems to happen, sometimes, upon opening the appointment to edit. No idea what to do, and this was not a problem with any of my previous BlackBerry devices.
Please use plain text.
Retired
abarreto
My Device: Z10

Re: Time Zone Change when editing an existing appointment

Hello mmarko,

Have you confirmed if the time zone in your BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone, Microsoft Outlook and computer are in sync?

Also, the appointments that have the wrong time zone, were they appointments that you received as an in invite?

To verify the time zone on the BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone, to go Settings>Date and Time

To confirm the date and time on the computer, click on the start Button>Control panel and double-click on Date and Time icon

What version of Microsoft Outlook are currently running?

Thank you

-ab

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmarko

Thank you for your reply.  My BB is set as Time Zone "Eastern Time (-5)" and my Windows is set as "(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)" and my Outlook is same as Windws (Tools>Options>Calendar>Time Zone).

The events were created either from my Outlook desktop or from my BB, not from other parties as a meeting request (outside of time zone or within). To confirm, this is usually only when editing an existing appointment, i dont think i have had the problem when creating an initial appointment.

I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6680.5000) SP3 MSO (12.0.6662.5000).

any help is great approecaited.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10

I thought I might be the only one with this type of problem, I'm in Central -6 and calendar items come up with Tijuana as the zone, the the time for the item is correct and all connected computers are also on Central zone. Obviously a glitch somewhere, I think it's only calendar items that are created on the Q10 but I'm tracking that.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xhajt03
My Device: Q10

Hi,

Is the timezone of the meeting (as seen e.g. in MS Outlook) really changed to a different one, or is it "just" that the time of the meeting is wrongly shifted by those two hours in your calendar? Does it happen both for individual events and recurring appointments?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman

It appears to be the meetings that are being entered on the Q but I will have to do some checking to see if they are being displayed correctly or not in Outlook. So far I've just been correcting them on the Q so next one I run across that is wrong I will check and let you know. I'd be they are wrong in Outlook. When I change the time zone for the meeting on the Q it then moves the meeting by 2 hours as it should.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman

OK,did some checking, the problem is in the displaying of the events on the Q. They appear correctly everywhere else they are correct. I have been carefull to enter a new appointment and then after it's saved and I go back and look at it the time zone is wrong. I'm now seeing events with different wrong time zones. Of course when I correct the time zone it changes the time for the event and then I have to go change that. The time does not ever change in Outlook, it stays correct. This does not happen with every calendar entry. Obviously there is a bug that needs attention.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xhajt03
My Device: Q10

I wonder whether it might be related to the issue described on http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Q10/Recurring-meetings-shifted-wrongly-after-chang... - in particular, the interesting bits are that it seems to be related to timezone handling and the shift is by 2 hours (the same here, although my supposed reason of this exact number in case described there would not apply in your case - but it was just an assumption in my case and possibly a wrong one).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmarko

I have been observing the problem more closely.  Again, most appointment updates occur without an issue.  However, some appointments, when opened for editing - are changed to Mountain Time (from Eastern).

- does not appear to have anything to do with recurring appointments; the examples i have found are not recurring, but i think it can also happen to a recurring "occurance" that is edited

- seems to be appointments created on the desktop, yet edited on the Q10

- If the appointment is an "All Day" appointment and i move it from say Tuesday to Thursday by editing on the Q10, and i dont notice it altered the time zone (realize, you have to scroll down to see the time zone - which is even more anoying), the desktop will show the event as Thursday 2am to Friday 2am

- i have not been able to observe how the desktop responds when a time specific appointment is altered by the Q10, but will update this post when i do.  the reason i have not seen this is because i am usually not at my desktop when i am editing appointments on my Q10, otherwise i would just edit the appointment on the desktop.

this is still a very irritating problem, so i hope someone can figure this out.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmarko

ok - was able to confirm the following as well:

This morning, I moved a Monday 8:00am (Eastern) appointment to Tuesday 8:00am, using the Q10.  The Q10 switched it from Eastern (as it was) to Mountain and even though I have it as 8:00am Start time, it comes up as 10:00am in the calendar.  This is when i typically realize the Q10 did this and i then go back in and revise.  I left it, and now checking my desktop see the appointment is showing as 10:00am (Eastern) in Outlook.

I hope you can now see why this is such a PITA. 

Please use plain text.