Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
Summarizer
My Device: Bold 9700

UNREAD message flag changes to READ on its own in my Inbox

[ Edited ]

On BlackBerry Q10 the message flag changes from UNread to READ. I'm accessing POP3 email via WI-FI. Anybody knows how to fix it?

I'm accessing my email also from a Samsung tablet and the READ - UNREAD message flags are working very well. The same is on my Outlook on my laptop and PC. Only the BlackBerry Q10 changes the unread flag to read - ALL MESSAGES.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Ottawa

Henry

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: UNREAD message flag changes to READ on its own in my Inbox

Hi Summarizer,

Are you accessing your email via POP when using Microsoft Outlook and your Samsung tablet as well? Do you have access to your email via a webmail console on your computer?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
farkasm2
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Hi.  I'm having the same problem as Summarizer.  I am indeed accessing my email via POP when using Microsoft Outlook.  My web host is Yahoo, which I can access online as well (of course).  

When Outlook pulls down emails from Yahoo, it renders the emails on the Yahoo server as "read."  But, on all my Blackberrys before the Q10, this did not affect the "unread" nature of emails pulled down by the Blackberry.  In other words, even though Outlook pulled down emails from Yahoo all the time and the Yahoo server had all the emails listed as "read," the blackberry would always keep the emails it pulled down from Yahoo as "unread" until I actually opened them on the Blackberry.  Now, the emails pulled down by the Q10 are very quickly converted to "read" without me touching them.

Is there any way to stop the Q10 from doing that, other than closing Outlook on my PC???  I can't believe that RIM changed everything so dramatically.  This would mean that anyone using both Outlook and the Z/Q10 will have to settle for their device to not have unread emails on it, ever.

Thanks for your help.  

New Contributor
Summarizer

Thank you Cpt_Sweatpants for asking the clarifying question. Indeed, on my Samsung tablet I access the email using POP3.

It seems that accessing my email on BB Q10 using IMAP does not agree with accessing the email on the same mail server from Outlook on my 3 PCs and Samsung tablet in POP3. The results are that the UNREAD status on BB Q10 (IMAP access) is automatically changed to the READ status. Probably this is happening when any of my PCs with Outlook automatically downloads another batch of emails (every 15 minutes). Needless to say this is very disconcerting.

Does this mean that accessing the same email server by IMAP and POP3 is not compatible?

Does it mean the BlackBerry implementation of the email demands that any given mail server can only be accessed by either POP3 or IMAP?

Is there a way to make accessing my email via POP3 in Outlook and IMAP on BB Q10 maintaining correctly the READ / UNREAD status respectively for each device?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Ottawa,
Henry

PS
A related question:
Does Gmail maintains the correct status of READ / UNREAD whne accessed via POP3 in Outlook and IMAP on BB Q10

New Contributor
Summarizer

Hi Farkasm2,

You have described the behavior of the flags changing from UNREAD to READ very accurately. 

I do not know if the flag change is the issue related to a simaltaneuos access to the mail server using both POP3 and IMAP clients or this is the way the BlackBerry's new Operating System 10 works.

It would be good to find out from the BlackBerry support if this is bug in their software. Is it going to be fixed in the next release of the Operating System? 

I wonder if Samsung and iPhone also have the same behavior or they handle the UNREAD / READ flags correctly when the mail server is accessed both by POP3 and IMAP clients.

Hope that someone will help us out. Many thanks for sharing your case.

Cheers from Ottawa,

Henry

Contributor
farkasm2
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Henry - i've recently heard that all of this is "normal," as in, the way the BB10 software is supposed to work. Essentially, your device is tied directly to your server. If Outlook renders your server's messages as "read," then your device will mark your messages as "read" even if you haven't yet read them. Even worse, if you delete a message on your device, then it will delete it from your server. So, if you deleted an email before your Outlook had the chance to pull it down from your server, it will be lost forever. Good one, huh? We'll have to change the way we've always done things with the BB/Outlook combination. Good luck to us.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants

Hi farkasm2,

As the BlackBerry 10 series pulls email using a different method than previous devices, if a message appears read in Yahoo, it will appear read in your BlackBerry Q10.  In previous devices, this feature could be disabled.

Thanks.

-CptS

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants

Yes, as Farkasm2 has indicated, this is expected behavior. If the messages appear read on the server, they will appear read on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Thanks.

-CptS

New Contributor
Summarizer

Hello CptS,

Thank you for your clear explanation.

A follow up question. Why is downloading of emails from mail server using Outlook POP3 setting a flag on BB 10 that the downloaded messages are READ?

Reading in this context refers to the human user opening an email rather than the system downloading emails.

Is the highly touted BB OS 10 NOT CAPABLE to distinguish what is downloading of email by POP3 client from user opening an email on the BB Q10 device?  

These are 2 clearly different actions and different flags should apply.

From the usability point of view equating downloading email with human reading is NOT understanding how users may use emails. It is an error in design and execution that should be corrected as soon as possible.

Certainly Farkasm2 and I are NOT the only people who need to use email with Outlook POP3 as a client and BB Q / Z10 as its IMAP client.

Technically there are no reasons from properly reconciling emails used in mixed mode - POP3 and IMAP - and permitting users to correctly see emails as READ / UNREAD.

And also permitting users the option to delete the email ONLY on the device and not on the server if they desire so should be an option.

In general, good design offers options to users to accommodate different scenarios of usage and this is acutely missing in my experience on BB 10 devices.

Please forgive the long explanation and please share your opinion on this issue.

Cheers from Ottawa,

Henry 

Visitor
glee68
My Device: Not Specified

I'm using MacBook Pro and BT Yahoo email. Unread email messages delivered to my Q10 appear as read in my BT Yahoo email, when they haven't been read anywhere. Any solutions?