Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
jaymoskowitz
My Device: Blackberry 8700, Q10
Accepted Solution

Where are release notes for version 10.1.0.2030

Where does Blackberry post the release notes for OS software updates. It would be nice to know what is changed in the next version of the OS software instead of running into things by accident.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Where are release notes for version 10.1.0.2030

Hello,

Historically, BlackBerry has never done so. Historically, the actual release of the OS was the responsibility of the carriers, and they then had responsibility for publishing the release notes. Sadly, very few ever did.

With BB10, the release process remains under the control of the carriers, albeit not quite in the same manner as with legacy. Consequently, the responsibility for publishing such release notes remains with the carriers...and they seem to be doing an even worse job at that with BB10 than they did with legacy (which was dismal at best already).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
jaymoskowitz

That is a pretty sad state of affairs. I assume that a particular OS update is specific to a single carrier. In other words 10.1.0.2030 is specific to AT&T and if, for example, there was a Spint update to the Q10, it would be under a different version number. So assuming the release number is specific to one carrier, why would Blackberry rely on the carrier to publish information they know nothing about. Blackberry would have to write the release note for the carrier to publish. If Blackberry is writing it anyway, why not just release the information publically? I can't understand how a major release of an OS would not carry any documentation to let the users know what changed. Do they really expect the users to find modifications by accident? Obviously Blackberry knows what they changed in each release. Why don't they let their customers know?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Your assumption is not correct...the OS is the OS is the OS. Each carrier that chooses to release a particular version first "wraps" it with their things for their own customers (e.g., their carrier-specific apps and such), but the core of the OS is all the same, as long as the fully qualified version number (all 4 octets) is the same.

However, formal front line support is (contractually) the responsibility of each carrier. Some choose to release some OS versions, others choose not to. But front line support is (and has always been, from long before BB10) the responsibility of the carrier, not BlackBerry. As such, it is the carriers responsibility to control the information they choose to make available to their customers. All users are customers of a carrier...not directly of BlackBerry.

As I understand it, it is actually the carriers that forbid, contractually, BlackBerry from releasing such information to the public at large, for the carriers choose to keep that control to themselves. The fact that they fail so miserably at it is a sad commentary, but the contract remains binding on all parties.

So perhaps your ire is, in light of this information, misdirected? Perhaps it is the carriers to whom you should be addressing your irritations?

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
jaymoskowitz

Based upon your explaination I totally agree. Blackberry may very well be providing detailed release notes to the carrier and we as ATT customers would not know it. So unfortunately if there are new features that would be good to use, we may never get to know it. Unless someone at Crackberry finds such new capabilities and posts it at their forum.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Indeed...there is an entire cottage industry of different blogs that are dedicated to publishing such information. They have dedicated folks who figure it out and publish what they discover. We all wish that the carriers did a better job at releasing information...but sadly such is beyond our control.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
xhajt03
My Device: Q10

Just a thought - isn't this unfortunate situation described above (lack of communication about progress made towards the end customers) one of factors contributing to lower popularity of BB OS and BB devices using this OS compared to some alternatives? If this is the case, shouldn't BB/RIM be interested to try changing the contract conditions with carriers? If carriers are interested in keeping the devices market competitive, this argument should be understandable for them too, right?

Tomas