Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
blondeix
My Device: Bold 9900 - Q10 - PB64

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Yes heraiz of message 218 for Business and Government. But let's not forget Small Business which need to use Z/Q10 standalone (I.e without BES or similar). They also need secure email and voice communication. With secure Apps maybe?
Let's hope
Bernard
Please use plain text.
Contributor
IoannisFCN
My Device: Q10 and back again to 9900 Bold
My Carrier: CHINA MOBILE

Am sorry to say but the discussion points seem to have been derailed... People, we are talking about something very factual and exact and not about our wishful thinking here! the fact remains: BlackBerry Q10 is a complete waste of money and time as it fails to address the fundamental needs of the core users - unstable and insecure, it is a me-too mobile that caters to the needs of another target market. A market that could, would consider the Q10 as a smartphone if there were no other smartphones out there! So this thread here set out to explain to BlackBerry management and whomever else was responsible for this painfully wrong "evolution" why we will give back this phone in favor of an older - and more successful - model... Let us please focus on this and deliver our messages and start a new thread about the rest of the messages about the whatifs and the future we wish to deliver....
Please use plain text.
Contributor
emadw5
My Device: z10
My Carrier: stc

Dear Robert Vance,

I want to thank you for the time you spend to tell us about your experience with Q10

I am one of the people who really like BlackBerry and honest I am shocked from what they offer to market

the latest Q10 and Z10 is just like waste of time...

I buy Z10 and use it for just 3 days after that it is back to original box don't know what to do with it...

I was thinking to sell it and buy the new Q10 but after what I read about it

really I will think again what to do however I do agree with you 9900 Bold much better than all new BB devices 

I will wait to see if BlackBerry care about the end user and see if they are going to do something about the big mistake they done

Best Regards

Emad

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

emadw5, is it simply that you don't understand how to use your #Z10?

Do you have specific questions?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iamShishir
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone IN

While I like the new Q10 interface too, some simple things that were a breeze on my BB 9900 won't work out of the box on this new one. 

• I cannot twitpic - have struggled for a couple of days and I can't get Twitter for BB / Blaq to send out twitpics.
  • I used to delete emails on my device and they used to stay in my Exchange Inbox before. However, I can't find an option to do that on BB 10.
  • No RSA soft-token, so I now have to carry an extra hard token for VPN use.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

1. Please explain...

2. That function is not present yet on BlackBerry10. Meanwhile, if there are emails you wish to delete on your BlackBerry but still have on your email server, you can FILE those emails. Touch and hold the email in the list > File.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
IoannisFCN

Guys, I mean no offense nor disrespect but the thread here is about WHY we're getting rid of this non-business tool that we purchased by mistake and not about HOW to adjust ourselves, our tasks and our learning curve so as to accept the Q10 with all its shortcomings... All those that wish to have a "Q10 support issues thread" please direct yourselves elsewhere in this site and under more appropriate titles so as to actually help someone who may be interested in keeping this model. Best to all, John.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again
My Carrier: Telekom

Well said IoannisFCN!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
IoannisFCN

Mission accomplished!!! Just managed to track down and purchase two 9970 Bold in a dealer in HK. For 2,800 HKD (abt 280 EUR) these unlocked mobiles will work in China and keep me covered for a while. The problem remains though... What's next Blackberry? Will you take notice and come up with a model that may be trusted by the business world and user or will you sit and wait for the new target market that you think is "satisfied" to flood your books with profits (...)... In any event a solution is needed because all we are doing is buying ourselves time, one way or another... Best to all! John.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RobertVance
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Congratulations John on finding the phone.  I'd like to expand on the rest of your comment.  I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic with the "flood your books with profits" comment but let's address that anyway.  If Blackberry's new consumer oriented approach works and they sell 10s of millions of new devices a quarter and gain a sizeable market share then of course the device that we in this forum want will be forgotten in a corporate heartbeat.  Blackberry does have to answer to shareholders after all and they only care about one thing -- more money.

But the theory that we have been consistently proposing here and thus far has been proving true in the real world is that there is simply not enough room in the market for another generic "me too" capacitive touchscreen only device.  

One way of quantifying that is by looking at first quarter sales numbers.

"In Q4 2012, the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S were the best-selling handsets with sales of 27.4 million (13% of smartphones worldwide) and 17.4 million units, respectively, with the Samsung Galaxy S III in third with 15.4

million units".  - Wikipedia

"Execs on the earnings call refused to break down Z10 and Q10 shipments specifically, but did say that 40 percent of the 6.8 million reported shipments were BB 10 devices -- which adds up to a disappointing 2.7 million next-gen units." - Engadget

In other words, the players that Blackberry is competing against outsold them in their first quarter by as much as a 10 times.  Now I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison for a host of reasons but the reality is, these numbers represent the companies direct revenue stream.  Well, that's not even true as Apple and Samsung make lots of other electronics while Blackberry is much more reliant on one product so it's even worse for them.

So, the early results are in and the new approach Blackberry is taking their devices is most certainly not "flooding their books with profits".  So they have the option of trying even harder to make this work or admit they made a mistake and readjust course.  What might that look like?

Well I think that boils down to the other part of your comment in that a phone that will be "trusted by business world".  To me this boils down to 2 things: Security and efficiency.  I think that Blackberry already has the security part down with all of their industry certifications (http://us.blackberry.com/business/topics/security/certifications.html)

So what about efficiency?  This to me means being able to perform the complex series of actions on the device that we all perform every day in as few individual steps as possible and that those steps can be performed using the exact same process each time.  We know that if you took the fastest iPhone/Android user and put them up against the fastest Blackberry user  (on an OS7 keyboard based device) and asked them to say: add a contact and during the add contact process switch to the browser to go to a website, copy and paste some information (say the name and address of a company), switch back to the contact and paste it into the notes field and then edit the pasted information to change the case and insert a word in the middle that the Blackberry device would win 100 times out of 100.

So efficiency means either going back to the track pad, physical buttons touch screen combination.... or some completely different UI model that has never been tried before.  The first one we KNOW is faster.  The second is possible but would be very risky to pursue.

The problem is, even if Blackberry wants to do this, what are their options?  They've invested a lot of time and money into OS10 which has more or less been built from the ground up with a touch only interface in mind.  How much work would it be to fully integrate a trackpad interface?  I'm honestly not sure.  Would it be as efficient as what they perfected with OS 7.1 (including all of the shortcuts and tweaks made over the previous 10 years). Unlikely.

So there is then the announcement of the new OS 7 device that is supposed to be launched to retain those users who have contracts expiring.  However, from the rumors I've seen thus far, this is at best a mid-range device in terms of specifications and physical appearance.  I think we'd also agree that for Blackberry to be successful, they need to retain the business crowd.  These are people that have money (or more commonly corporate budgets) and so don't care if the device is $299 or $699.  But they do care when they walk into a boardroom or a client site that they are not "made fun of" by their customers and clients.  (Yes, this happens a lot sadly today).

The moral of the story is that I believe (along many others) is to bring back the touchpad and physical buttons and go after the business market with the efficiency banner.  Will that happen? Believe it or not, I continue to remain optimistic even though I don’t really have any factual reason to be.  Here’s hoping.

- Robbie 

Please use plain text.