Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
IoannisFCN
My Device: Q10 and back again to 9900 Bold

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Hey. George!

Apparently I mislead myself and the group! The model I refer to is the 9790 Bold. Works just fine in the environment here. Web browsing is somewhat of a pain but I also have an iPad for this task in my arsenal. However, placing and receiving calls is a breeze - not the case with the Q10 - and all text communication is very convenient and highly reliable - again not the case with the Q10. I guess the 9900 is also a great option but the 9790 looks better from a design pov. And the differences in all comparisons that are out there are marginally in favor of the one or the other. Hope this helps you some?

Best,
John.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
petercreasey
My Device: Q10

Reading all of these negative vibes on the Q10 is painful.

Only wish all you folks could have the same most favorable experiences with the Q10 that we have had with two Q10s.

Having come from prior BlackBerry phones, we could not be more pleased. From our perspective, a great phone (of course, I'm knocking on wood as I say this!!)!

. . . . . . Pete
Please use plain text.
Contributor
IoannisFCN
My Device: Q10 and back again to 9900 Bold

Pete,

Your experience is definitely great! Only wish you share with the right lot of people and in the right thread. The thread here is about people sharing experiences that lead them away from the Q10 and for very valid reasons too. These are not vibes nor impressions Pete. It is an attempt to talk into deaf ears and help the company we care about.

Best,
John.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
McJagger

Pete, may be everyone here just got a bad batch of units? How long does your BB Q10 last on a full charge (without a battery pull done)? Mine lasts 10 hours with a battery pull and 6 hours without a battery pull!! It has been driving me crazy. I leave for work at 6am, it dies before lunch!!! I'm taking my Q10 to Rogers for repair, hopefully they will be able to fix it.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
petercreasey

McJagger wrote:
Pete, How long does your BB Q10 last on a full charge (without a battery pull done)?

M,  I have never had to pull my battery.

I leave my Q10 on all day and then recharge each evening when perhaps one square is no longer illuminated (thus indicating probably 80 - 90% of my battery still with a good charge).

I have WiFi, NFC, etc. turned off but leave 4G LTE on at all times and do occasional browing and exchange fairly frequent emails during the day.

Our second Q10 has the same performance characteristics except it is recharged only when necessary, say, every 2 or 3 days.

. . . . .   Pete

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
GeorgeB
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900

Thanks John !!  

When I read further, I did see that you'd corrected the model number.

Hope that the company takes some of the suggestions, fixes up the sw, and we'll all be better off.

Regards,

George

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sydneyp
My Device: Blackberry Q10

[ Edited ]

McJagger wrote:
Pete, may be everyone here just got a bad batch of units? How long does your BB Q10 last on a full charge (without a battery pull done)? Mine lasts 10 hours with a battery pull and 6 hours without a battery pull!! It has been driving me crazy. I leave for work at 6am, it dies before lunch!!! I'm taking my Q10 to Rogers for repair, hopefully they will be able to fix it.

I'm not Pete, but, I will jump in to say I had the same probems with I first got the BBQ last month. And, I was pretty disappointed because I'd heard so much about the Q10 and it's great battery. What has worked for me has been to turn off both wireless and data services when I'm not using them. So, most times, only phone and texting are on; if I want to use data or check email, I turn data back on. Now, I can get 3 days without charging; although, I admit I am not a heavy user of data.

I also saw someone post earlier about the screen going black during calls or when a call ended. That also happened to me - a lot - early on. I was ready to return the phone. I finally figured it had to do with the screen protector I was using (I used one of my old ipod touch screen protectors and just cut it to fit the Q10). I found out by accident that I wasn't getting that black screen when I didn't have that protector on. After getting the BBQ screen protector, I only get the black screen now when you're supposed to, I guess - which the phone is up to my ear, or after 30 seconds (but then I just swipe up to get the phone screen back).

I will say, though, that, if I could do it again or if I had read some of these comments before, I may not have gotten the Q10. But, this is my first BB and I didn't know what to expect, so, from my perspective, I think it's nice now that I have the kinks worked out.  But, now that I know what I'm missing or what could have been, I hope BB will make some changes!

Edited to add:  Plus, I don't think I will ever buy a phone when it first comes out again...I paid $199 for the BBQ less than a month ago, and now I hear the price may soon be slashed to $49!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
McJagger

Sydneyp, I'm sorry to hear that your first BlackBerry is the Q10. The older BBs are a lot better and more reliable than the Q10. I had a 9700 which used for 3-years. The only reason why I upgraded was because the "n" key was showing signs of significant wear. The battery lasted 4 days and it never froze (once I realized that it couldn't handle more than 4 apps).

Regarding not buying if you had read the comments, if you browse through any BlackBerry thread on Crackberry, you will see people asking for help with their device. I think a lot of those cases are of people getting a bad device, or have a bad combo of apps on their phone. And this is true for all devices. If you look up Samsung Galaxy S4 or iPhone support forums, you will find tons of people talking about the weird things their phone is doing. So it is difficult to judge by looking at a support forum if a device is truly worth buying or not. I will say though that I regret buying a newly released phone. Not only because the price will be slashed soon, but because none of the major quirks or kinks don't get worked out until 6-12 months after the device has been released. BlackBerry OS 10.2 is scheduled for October, 2013. So now I will most likely buy an older (but reliable and functional) phone because having a 6 hour battery life and a phone that skips emails is not an option for me. A phone with a 6 hour battery life is more or less a corded phone, it is no longer a (practical) wireless device.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
McJagger

Pete, what model is your Q10? I have an SQN100-1. 80% battery life after a full day very good. I don't know why mine dies after 6 hours.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paulh46
My Device: Q10 (from my sins)

Bloody awful phone I've spent hours and hours trying to resolve issues with syncing and sending emails. Very happy to accept that there are always going to be teething problems and adjustments with a new device but it seems like so much is wrong with it. I can't spend any more time trying to fix issues which I shouldn't have to.

And this community has been worse than useless too. "Don't post your issue in threads that have the same problem - post your own thread". Which is then ignored. I know that people are volunteers and hate to get down on them - I'm going to assume that they're just overwhelmed with **bleep** off Q10 users trying to save their businesses from the knock on effects of one-way syncs, messed up contact databases and impenetrable email problems
Please use plain text.