Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,988
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Hamilt500, and if you actually read any of my posts in this thread or others, you'd know I am using a #Q10, that I agree with many of the critical issues facing these users, and that other than a few such as you attempting to call me out, I've mostly responded only to direct questions in this thread and to correct factual misstatements of the device's ability and use.

Scroll up and over. I've even asked users to discuss offtopic issues in new threads so to not crowd this one with unrelated technical discussion.

Don't assume to much, you'll be mistaken.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
GranReviewsmo
My Device: Z10 STL-100

[ Edited ]
JSanders, for someone who constantly admonishes other people on this forum to either post on topic or not hijack threads you're doing a pretty much the same thing here. When you say the BB10 devices are business phones, that is not fact, it's your opinion which is no better than anyone else's. The company I work for, a multinational with operations in 28 countries on 3 continents has refused to support BB10 devices, I bought the Z10 myself the week it came out and so far have only been impressed by the browser. I haven't posted on here in a while because I stopped using the Z10 as my primary device, bought a new 9900 :-) I'll grant that a lot of your function and how to posts have been very useful to myself and others on this forum, but I have to also say your hall monitor/cheerleader demeanour doesn't go over well and takes away from some of the good advice you've given. Let people have their say when and where they want as long as its within forum rules, you don't need to reply to every post (including this one). For someone who doesn't work for Blackberry you're on this forum an awful lot.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,988
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

GranReviewsmo wrote:
 When you say the BB10 devices are business phones, that is not fact, it's your opinion which is no better than anyone else's.

GranReviewsmo, when you take time to read this thread, you will find that is exactly what I've said... it's an opinion. My opinion, your opinion. Again, we're in agreement.

GranReviewsmo wrote:
  you don't need to reply to every post (including this one). For someone who doesn't work for Blackberry you're on this forum an awful lot.

When you address me directly, I can choose to respond or not. Just as you chose to repond, right?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

@petercreasey

@JSanders

Somehow I have a problem understanding general market dynamics. Listening to your arguments, one could think that a handfull of critical users in this thread are responsible for other potential customers not buying BlackBerry? You really can't be serious! As stated by Pete, multitudes of people are thrilled with their Q10 and have no incentive to come on boards such as this. Logically then, this board hasn't to the smallest degree had any negative impact on the big sales volumes of the OS10 range of products.

We should try to stay a little down to earth. Are we participants in this thread really that important, as to the extent that sales volumes are generated or not? I moreover believe that only an extremely minute number of peaople have even tumbled into this support forum.

May I also note that apparently most of the people here are long-term BlackBerry users and avid fans of that user interface, which had made BlackBerry strong for so very many years. Yes, many of these users seem to be disappointed with OS10. People without prior experience with the BlackBerry philosophy may very well have a different view and should thus be able to boost the sales.

Let me also add that many smart phones are more or less being bashed or praised in much more numerous other blogs or publications. This is true for Android, iOS and Windows phones. But, the single decision to buy something is made by the individual and can only to a very small degree be influenced by others.

Why then this thread is conceived as being a forum for "ambushing" this BlackBerry initiative, so Pete, blows my mind. What initiative? Being a me-to vendor of smart phones? Going into competition with the big players and leaving the staunch community behind?

Fact remains, that the participants in this thread are not solely "old" people, who are not willing to adapt to technological change. These peoble "love" BlackBerry, but are not capable of understanding why such a revolutionary technology transfer had to be carried through. And yes, I belong to the "old" people, who were very satisfied moving through different and almost always improving devices (from the 6230 to the 9900) and above all, from a UI standpoint, being able to migrate from device to device with quite a bit of ease. Is it then so difficult to understand when such users, and also younger ones, have difficulties adapting to a completely "new world"?

Time will tell, if the management decisions made by BlackBerry were good or bad. But, then again, the BlackBerry market share had in the past been based on a niche market. Now BlackBerry is out there with the sharks and trying to leave the niche and in that endeaovor perhaps be losing many supporters. My stance to OS7 and my 9900 remains unchanged until a point of time when a reasonable successor is presented or my 9900 stops working. The only thing that I know just for myself is that OS10 and Q10 is in no way a viable replacement for my 9900.

Trusted Contributor
augusts
My Device: 9900

bravo :smileyhappy: couldnt agree more with you!
p.s. friend of mine who actually used q10 for more than a month just switched to iphone 5. at first he was okey with q10 but it got very irritating for him as well and he didnt consider 9900 as was fed up with the same phone for more than how many years. i believe there are so many of these stories. in our local ebay there are a lot of q10 being sold for around 350 gbp with commentary used for 2 weeks, :smileyhappy: i sold mine as well :smileyhappy:
Contributor
RobertVance
My Device: 9900

@AndyZen

Well said!  

I feel that part of the disconnect between some here in the last few posts has been debating if the Q10 is a "business" phone or not.  I think there is some merit in exploring that idea.  So first, let's get specific.  What does a "business phone" mean anyway?  I think the simplest definition is "a phone that helps or allows you to do business."  Well, by that metric, any phone is a business phone.  Even the dumbest of dumb phones can make the million dollar sales call.  So let's go a little deeper.  I think everyone here will agree that email is what makes a modern business tick and therefore for a phone to be called a "business phone" it needs to be able to send and receive email.  Hmm.  By that definition, my old Palm Vx with cellular attachment could be considered a business phone.  Certainly, any modern smart phone can wear that moniker.

So where does that leave us with Q10 and its ability to wear the "business phone" label?

In my mind, it boils down to another buzz word and that is productivity.  That is to say, how productive can I be with the device in a fixed time frame?  The Q10, the 9900, the iPhone 5 hell even the Blackberry 7250 (the first one I ever used) are all going to be able to check the boxes for basic productivity functions.  The variable that separates these devices then is how long it takes to complete those functions.

Here is where I think the ultimate disconnect is coming from and why I and it seems many others are disenfranchised with the new direction Blackberry  took.  The physical keyboard combined with years of subtle optimizations and shortcuts (and also in my case combined with that macro writing software I love so dearly) make the Blackberry OS7 devices hands down the most "productive" devices available.  

Can you send an email on a Q10?  Of course.  Can you send multiple emails on an iPhone5?  Obviously.  Can you manage and clean up your mailbox on an Galaxy S4.  Indeed!

But can you perform those tasks, one after the other in seconds using the same physical movements of your fingers using one hand?  With the touch screen devices, not reliably due to the lack of haptic feedback.  And sadly also not with the Q10 because it enshrines the advantages of the keyboard for a touch screen UI.  The double whammy here is that the screen size is almost half that of a true touch screen device which makes that paradigm even more time consuming to use on a regular basis.

So if I may be so bold (pun intended), let's all agree that every phone is a "business phone" including the Q10.  But it's not the most productive business phone available, and in fact has reduced productivity compared to the devices that preceded it.

I stand by statement  I made earlier that if you put the fastest Blackberry OS7 user against the fastest user of any other device and gave them a list of say five tasks to perform, the OS7 user would be able to complete those tasks in the fewest operations.  

- Robbie

Contributor
terpits
My Device: Not Specified

I stand by statement  I made earlier that if you put the fastest Blackberry OS7 user against the fastest user of any other device and gave them a list of say five tasks to perform, the OS7 user would be able to complete those tasks in the fewest operations. 

Give me a Pearl 9100 and I will take that challenge! :catvery-happy:

Contributor
matt1
My Device: q10

DONT buy a Q10  - rubbish - and if you do want one , you can buy mine!

Contributor
matt1
My Device: q10

[ Edited ]

When Balckberry can't get the very basic stuff correct then its a very sad day indeed. I waited nearly six months to buy a BBQ10 and I can safely say its the worst I've ever had:-

1) "Once only" "one way" sync of contacts to MS outlook - old blackberrys went both ways ongoing.

2) No ability to Group Text - the old blackberrys had this.

3) You cant write a new text message until the last one you wrote has been sent - the old blackberrys allowed you to do this.

4) BBQ10 constantly loses your "saved wifi" profiles - the old blackberrys didnt. I have to reset/re-input my WIFI passcode for my home WIFI at least five times a week.

5) I follow BB's instructions to update OS software and BBQ10 loses all my text messages - old blackberries did not.

This is very basic "bread and butter "stuff that a large organisation like blackberry should be getting right.

I cant beleive that my experience is any different from other BBQ10 users.

Contributor
sydneyp
My Device: Blackberry Q10

matt1 wrote:

When Balckberry can't get the very basic stuff correct then its a very sad day indeed. I waited nearly six months to buy a BBQ10 and I can safely say its the worst I've ever had:-

1) "Once only" "one way" sync of contacts to MS outlook - old blackberrys went both ways ongoing.

2) No ability to Group Text - the old blackberrys had this.

3) You cant write a new text message until the last one you wrote has been sent - the old blackberrys allowed you to do this.

4) BBQ10 constantly loses your "saved wifi" profiles - the old blackberrys didnt. I have to reset/re-input my WIFI passcode for my home WIFI at least five times a week.

5) I follow BB's instructions to update OS software and BBQ10 loses all my text messages - old blackberries did not.

This is very basic "bread and butter "stuff that a large organisation like blackberry should be getting right.

I cant beleive that my experience is any different from other BBQ10 users.

Are you sure we have the same Q10?  Because, while I can't speak for your number 1(because I haven't tried it):

2) I group text all the time to my sisters, and I get group texts from them.  It even gives me the option to enable group conversation before I send the original group text.

3) I tried to write a text message, stopped writing it; then tried to write a second message and send it.  No problem sending the second message even though I didn't send the first. (the first message that I DIDN'T send is sitting in my text folder as a draft)

4) Just checked my wifi profiles - I've got about a dozen and didn't see any missing.

5) Every text since I purchased the device on June 24 is still there; and I updated the software once.

My last update was .2030 so maybe that makes a difference, but I'm not having any problems with the phone.