Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

danny_b, the Q10 has most of all of the previous OS7 hard keyboard shortcuts. Dozens of them. There's another thread here on those.

Perhaps, just not the few keyboard shortcuts you want?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Danny_B
My Device: Blackberry Q10

J Sanders, how about simply pressing (and holding) a single key to speed-dial a desired contact...without first navigating with a series of swipes and taps to a specific screen within the phone app?
JSanders

danny, you said "all". Didn't know you actually meant just one.

Seems you already know the answer to your own question. No.

I have been told it's coming from the home screen.. .hopefully.

Meanwhile, it take one tap to the phone app.

Or get one of several apps which enable homescreen speed dialing.

I don't see the problem.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
hmsingh
My Device: Q 10

Can Q10 also resize videos.. -incl resizing for mms in photo app
Trusted Contributor
augusts
My Device: 9900

that is how much it was from official mobile provider. i was probably one of the first who has q10 in Latvia. thanks to bite.lv in for that :smileyhappy:
Trusted Contributor
augusts

New Contributor
jmugrl95

Like many in this thread I am very frustrated with my Q10. I have given it 3 weeks and I have learned how to use the phone, but I just do not like it.  I have stayed with blackberry because of the features that are now going away. I really thought that the Q10 would just make accessing information on the web faster.  I understand why the Z10 lost a lot of the traditional blackberrry features, but then why not keep them on the Q10 and give blackberry users some options. 

I do understand that we are such a minority, however we are quite loyal. 

I'm switching back to my Bold in ten minutes. Life is all ready frustrating enough. 

JSanders

jmugrl95 wrote:

I have stayed with blackberry because of the features that are now going away. I really thought that the Q10 would just make accessing information on the web faster.

What features have gone away that you need?

And yes, your thought is right, accessing information is so much faster, using the universal search it's all just one tap and search away.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
RobertVance

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57605180-94/executive-infighting-reportedly-led-to-blackberrys-down...

"In the end, BlackBerry's leadership may have been its own worst enemy."

"The Z10 was a departure from the company's famous keyboard-equipped mobile phone and BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins' best weapon to compete with the glass touch-screen handsets sold by Apple and Samsung. While the Z10 was designed to showcase the next-generation BlackBerry 10 operating system, it had one major detractor, according to sources interviewed by the newspaper: company co-founder Michael Lazardis.

During a meeting last year with the company's board to review plans to launch the new device, a frustrated Lazardis voiced concerns that the company's new direction was an abandonment of his vision that made BlackBerry handsets popular with corporate customers.

"I get this," Lazardis said, pointing to one of the company's signature devices. "It's clearly differentiated." Then he pointed to a touch-screen phone. "I don't get this."

If the above quotes are in fact true, it starts to paint a clearer picture of how the situation evolved to where it has.  It appears that the individuals responsible for the original vision of the Blackberry device that serves at the heart of this thread agreed with the sentiments expressed here.  However, the new generation of executives believed that Blackberry's future was to be found in what can best be described as emulating a commodity.

Blackberry is soon to once again be under new management though.  I have to imagine that during the due diligence phase, Fairfax became aware of the political atmosphere at the company and yet decided to go along with the sale anyway.  They still see value there and that gives me hope.

New Contributor
jmugrl95

I suppose it is not so much  features that I need, but features that I like and find easier to use.  

I do know how to answer the phone, not a swipe, but more a hold and drag. I hate it. I have not been able to answer at least two calls. I do not use a holster, so setting the phone to automatically answer when removed from the holster is not an option for me. 

I very much dislike the copy and paste feature. I never get the cursor where I want it and take more time trying to drag that ring that appears where I need it than I want to. I have tried making the font larger, but then cannot see all of the text that I am typing. And if you tap the text to hard, trying to copy something or move the cursor to fix a typo, then you can accidently send the text. I have done this several times. 

I know some people like the hub, and it is fine, but I want a tile on my home screen that alerts me when I have an email. I do understand I can slide the screen up and 'peek' or swipe the screen towards the right to see the hub, but I don't like doing that. I also do not like the fact that parts of my emails or texts or whatever option that is highlighted can be seen behind the hub, not very private! I end up selecting the 'pin' option which is blank and then swiping to the hub. 

I don't like the fact that there are not as many custom ringer options either. 

I do realize that many people probably like this phone. And that for people who want to keep multiple things in view like their facebook page, email and maybe BBM, that this works for them. I also know that touch screens are all the rage now and people just seem to love swiping, and tapping their phones, maybe I just grew up hearing people tell me not to touch the television or computer screen for so many years that I have become phobic :smileywink:

I have now been using the Q10 for three weeks and have worked pretty diligently to try to learn how to use it to avoid frustration and to adapt to new technology. So now it is not so much as not knowing how, but not liking how. I have had a Blackberry Curve, Tour and 2 Bolds. Loved them all. I was excited to have the kind of Blackberry I loved, that wouldn't take several minutes to view a Web Page. At least there is still a great key board!