Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,930
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Misspelled words are underlined in red. Not so different and certainly not hard to to see.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
heraiz
My Device: Bold 9900 - International - Arabic - Unlocked

To our valued customers, partners and fans,

You’ve no doubt seen the headlines about BlackBerry. You’re probably wondering what they mean for you as one of the tens of millions of users who count on BlackBerry every single day.

We have one important message for you:

You can continue to count on BlackBerry.

How do we know? We have substantial cash on hand and a balance sheet that is debt free.

We are restructuring with a goal to cut our expenses by 50 percent in order to run a very efficient, customer-oriented organization.

These are no doubt challenging times for us and we don’t underestimate the situation or ignore the challenges. We are making the difficult changes necessary to strengthen BlackBerry.

One thing we will never change is our commitment to those of you who helped build BlackBerry into the most trusted tool for the world’s business professional.

And speaking of those dramatic headlines, it’s important that we set the record straight on a few things.

Best in class productivity tool.

We have completely revamped our device portfolio this year with the launch of BlackBerry 10. We have four BlackBerry 10 devices – two all touch and two hybrid (touch and QWERTY) – and all are running the third update of our new platform. If what you care about most is getting things done – taking care of your business – we have the best range of devices for you. And we continue to offer the best mobile typing experience – no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Best in class security.

Governments all over the world, global corporations and businesses that simply cannot compromise on security choose and trust BlackBerry. Security is our heritage, and the industry recognizes that BlackBerry is the most secure when it comes to the device, server and, of course, our global data network. Have no doubt that you can continue to trust us to keep your communication safe and private.

Best in class enterprise mobility management.

We changed with the market, embracing BYOD because we understand that as iOS and Android devices become common in the workplace, businesses still need to manage all of these different platforms seamlessly and securely.

This is not a trivial task. While there are a number of startup companies that make bold claims, BlackBerry has more software engineers and the most resources dedicated to developing the most innovative solutions to address this complex challenge.

And our customers know it. Over the past quarter, our BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 server base grew from 19,000 to more than 25,000. Corporate clients are committed to deploying and testing the latest enterprise technology from BlackBerry. We are committed to evolving with our customers. That will never change.

Best in class mobile social network.

We are bringing the most engaging mobile messaging platform to all, with our BBM launch for Android and iPhone.

There are already around six million customers pre-registered to be notified of our roll out. This number is growing every day, and speaks to the tremendous opportunity we have to expand BBM beyond BlackBerry smartphones to make it the world’s largest mobile social network.

Yes, there is a lot of competition out there and we know that BlackBerry is not for everyone. That’s OK. You have always known that BlackBerry is different, that BlackBerry can set you apart. Countless world-changing decisions have been finalized, deals closed and critical communications made via BlackBerry. And for many of you that created a bond, a connection that goes back more than a decade.

We believe in BlackBerry – our people, our technology and our ability to adapt. More importantly, we believe in you. We focus every day on what it takes to make sure that you can take care of business.

You trust your BlackBerry to deliver your most important messages, so trust us when we deliver one of our own: You can continue to count on us.

Sincerely,
The BlackBerry Team

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ventoux
My Device: Q10

Just sold my Q10.  So pleased to be using the Bold 9000 again, complete with BIS.  I have a Bold 9900 inbound and so will have the missing hotspot app. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hmsingh
My Device: Q 10

Eagerly awaiting 10.2.. to make Q10 realize its immense potential....atleast what a 9900 could handle so efficiently .. like a NOX kit..giving you a surge in business communications...!! plz plz plz we are now in mid October what is the delay
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorcroft

If BB10 was more customizable there could be apps that could make this device more usable for the power users.

I'm imagining a device where when you hold down the alt key it basically simulates that row on the bold 9900 thats between the keyboard and the screen, that would solve a lot of my problems.  Does anyone know if this is doable from an app developers perspective or would this have to be done at the low level OS level by blackberry?

I've been a die hard blackberry user for so many years so have barely used an android device but I've heard that they are highly customizable from the app developers perspective, ie: custom keyboards, etc.  It's unfortunate but if there aren't enough power users to support a really powerful and efficient device then the answer of the future will likely be highly customized touch screens, that will be a sad day for me, but it will likely come :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mohansen

This is suddenly reminding me of the shift in the mid-90s from the solid-state DOS-based WordPerfect to the ever-buggy MS-DOS Word.  When that shift occurred, not only did I lose the ability to use all of the wonderful macros I had written to speed up my regular tasks, but, I quickly learned I could no longer rely on autonumbering or create tables of contents that would "refresh" on a reliable basis.  Ugh!  

Fast forward twenty years to today, and there has been no improvement.  The amount of time and energy that still gets wasted each and every day by people correcting formatting issues in Word documents is completely RIDICULOUS!  Efficiency took a HUGE step backward when (due to what was found to be illegal bundling) "everyone" moved to Word for Windows (and away from DOS-based WordPerfect), and it will be a very sad day if/when RIM goes away or stops supporting the last of the Bold phones, and we have to give up the efficiency we've come to take for granted in our BlackBerry smart phones.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,930
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

mohansen, have you read the thread on the dozens of keyboard shortcuts for the Q10? It's at the top of this Q10 section.

For me, moving to MSWord was a blessing. So much more user friendly and feature rich. You made a perfect analogy, and I am thrilled at the technological advances for both products.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Douglark

I agree totally with everything you have pointed out. I have another problem with it. I run a mobile business where clients email us our works orders. With previous BB's ( 9900 being the favorite but I have owned about 10) I was able to open a document whether DOC. Or PDF, using the menu I could press ' view plain text'. This was one of the best features for me because once I did this I could touch the number on the screen and call the number. With this Q10 I have to fins a pen and paper, write the number down then find my way into the phone function,then dial in the number! Takes ages!! I have now had to download NFR reader which did work but only on some documents but now doesn't work. Anyway, not happy. Had the phone about 3 months now and trying to like it but... the love affair's over I'm afraid.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBUser20yrs
My Device: 9900

I and my employees do a great deal of traveling WORLDWIDE.  I put that in caps because there is more to the world than just the US Market.  I am currently boxing up 10 each Q10 phones and sending them back for a refund and for now putting all my Bold 9900s back in play mainly because of the death of BIS.  The data compression on the emails was what ruled with Blackberry and in my opinion this will be the death of Blackberry in the long run.  I am looking at other phone options but to be honest there are really none out there that give me the low data roaming option like the Bold 9900 does. 

That doesn't even cover the text messaging scolling feature.  I mean come on Blackberry, why would you think someone would not want their text messages to scroll.  The work around I received was when you get to the second line of your text type in the first or second word and then click on the alt key and hold it down until it locks then hit return, your text messages will then scroll.  It worked but come people that is simply not acceptable.

Check this out the Blackberry Quartely Report:

Quartely Report

Sales down and most unit sold are Blackberry 7 Devices

Houston we have a problem....Blackberry is dieing a slow death because they forgot their customer base.  Simply put if I want my phone to act like an iPhone I would buy an iPhone.  I have stuck with Blackberry for some many years because of their email and data compression.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hmsingh
My Device: Q 10

Last eve I was analysing this titanic sink of bb10 with my analytical son and what we concluded was that premium products are more coveted for reliability and identity with a gradual upgrade wheras all flashy cars come with bells and whistles ..which can be seen in android devices.. BlackBerry could on a sos basis find a way to move major features of 7.1 o's in 10 and may be it takes time it will get those premium biz users back to their fold..as ((((1 premium user gets in 100s of others)) who doesn't know that obama is a BlackBerry freak? I myself sent out a broadcast bbm to all my friends to hold upgrading to any 10 device as moving to 10 devices will actually weaken BlackBerry more with those many irrational swiping fingers....
Please use plain text.