Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
tbraddock
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

I bought a Q10 just before July 4th and was back on my 9900 by Labor Day. Sure, the rich text email was cute and the browser was a marked upgrade but the switching costs were too great:

• Trackpad functionality and all that goes with it (especially for those of us blessed with eyesight to use 5 or 6-point fonts)
  • The manual contortions necessary to find or highlight specific messages and then execute an action
  • One touch dialing (which I understand may finally be back)
  • No BIS
  • The maddening headache that syncing became particularly compared with the elegance and control found in the BDS
  • The need for two-hands on the device to do most anything (one to hold it and the other to squeeze, spread, etc) when previously just tapping a single key and/or using the trackpad achieved certain ends
    ...to say nothing about actually having to stand still to work with the new touch-driven device when one once could briskly walk and use the device at the same time
  • Answering the phone became a sobriety test

I would provide more but I threw out the list of bugs I had uncovered when I reactivated my 9900. At that time, this thread was 52 pages long and I read all those posts, along with similar threads in other fora. I returned here to see what, if anything, Blackberry had done to resolve all the various issues that all of us loyal customers had uncovered. I guess it's encouraging that the posting rate on this thread is about 50% of the initial rate, but I'm not sufficiently encouraged with the Q's progress to re-try it.

In the desktop world, there are apps that are mouse-driven and those that are keyboard-driven. Without doubt, these two inputs are complementary, but the latter dominates the former for a large number of everyday business activities. That's why people love F-keys and keyboard shortcuts. This highly-efficient, keyboard-driven and profound access to the Blackberry that we knew and loved clearly dominates so many of the reasons why the 9900 users posting here miss the old OS's functionality.

Right now the switching costs are too high for me because I do not see any actual benefits from the new implementation. Blackberry is simply telling me to change my habits without giving me a compelling reason to do so. So, I'm stuck with a slower data link and browser, but I'm not wasting time and creating neuroses wondering what happened to my contacts or calendar events, copying and pasting, etc, etc.

I do sincerely look forward to the day that Blackberry offers a device that exceeds my expectations as much as the original 9000 did.

Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

Well said!
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

tbraddock wrote:

I would provide more but I threw out the list of bugs I had uncovered when I reactivated my 9900. At that time, this thread was 52 pages long and I read all those posts, along with similar threads in other fora. I returned here to see what, if anything, Blackberry had done to resolve all the various issues that all of us loyal customers had uncovered. I guess it's encouraging that the posting rate on this thread is about 50% of the initial rate, but I'm not sufficiently encouraged with the Q's progress to re-try it.

Most, perhaps a majority, of those initial lacking features on the Q10 have been resolved, or added back to the OS now, with 10.2.1.xxx.

Some remaining issues you will likely never see on BlackBerry10 devices, such as BIS, or a trackpad (escpecially in the next 121 months).

For your shortcuts, most all are still present on the Q10, check the other float post here with the Q10 keyboard shortcuts.

Anyway, the 9900 is a great device, and remains so.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
tbraddock

If I remember correctly (and I may not), the OS version I had was 1.2030. That version maintained the frustrating sync issues. Has there been an update that let's users:

• 2-way sync
  • view the proposed syncing changes
  • choose which data set will resolve an individual syncing conflict at the time that the user is notified of the conflict
  • captures all the data in a given Outlook Contact's "Notes" field (not just the first 540 characters)
  • Is not limited by the number of contacts, calendar items, etc in Outlook

I am not surprised that there are users who enjoy the new Blackberry experience; but none of their expressed joy changes the fact that Blackberry has materially impaired certain functionalities and failed to provide material benefits in return. A lot of eggs were definitely broken making this omlette; clearly some of us don't like its taste.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

tbraddock wrote:

If I remember correctly (and I may not), the OS version I had was 1.2030. That version maintained the frustrating sync issues. Has there been an update that let's users:

• 2-way sync  yes
  • view the proposed syncing changes  not sure
  • choose which data set will resolve an individual syncing conflict at the time that the user is notified of the conflict  I don't understand this question
  • captures all the data in a given Outlook Contact's "Notes" field (not just the first 540 characters)  probably not
  • Is not limited by the number of contacts, calendar items, etc in Outlook  I don't recall this ever being an issue

10.1.0.2030 is pretty old, but ATT has not pushed the update yet to 10.2

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
giepie
My Device: Q10

Hi guys

I went through all your posts and my concerns are exactly the same as all of you mentioned.
Pitty I didn't see this thread before starting my own (called BB Q10 - VERY Dangerous). But I find it very interesting that all the points I made (in a bit less formal way than this thread, I expressed my frustration more openly) are the same at the core.

I think you guys might actually enjoy my post, feel free to read it.

To come back to the matter(s) in hand, the biggest problem is the world moving toward touch technology, which in my opinion is not as efficient as physical buttons which are predictable (as most of you would agree and have mentioned). The example of the TV remote is a very good one. The example of Windows 8's start button, an even better example.

I think the problem with technology these days is this: 80% of the world wants the "coolness factor". Unfortunately that 80% are kids, Pizza delivery guys (not being biast) etc. Whilst the remaining 20% of the world needs technology for serious business. The sad reality is that the 20% are the ones making the big money, providing for their kids, support the Pizza delivery guys (and their bosses and their entire company). What I'm saying is the ones who make it possible for the 80% to have the "coolness factor" are the ones who don't want it themselves.
 (I hope what I'm saying makes some sense, English is not my first language).

I would like to add one more thing which I forgot to mention in my own thread, I'm a lefty. Nuff said?! When I use my left thumb to scroll up and down my BB HUB, insanely weird things happen. A mail at the bottom of the list would open whilst my thumb is actually at the top. When I tap the < or > instead of going back, it would open the thing. This happens a lot in the web browser when I try to close a tab. Instead of closing the tab (the x), the tab opens. I have to retry up to 10 times 99% of the time.

Yes, the best feature of the BB (where BB kicked ALL other brands' behinds) was most certainly the scroley wheelie thingy (what do you call that any way? Track pad?). But now BB has taken the remote away and you have to touch the TV.

I sincerely hope BB/RIM would hear our heart-filled complaints and bring the scroley wheelie back.

Thanks guys, I hope you all have an awesome day!

Contributor
amckayceng
My Device: Q10, 9900, 8900, PlayBook*2

Hello again all,

I have posted a few times on this page about my dissapointment with nthe Q10 versus the 9900, and now must make clear that I now fully endorse the Q10.

My initial reservations were:-

1. Cut and Paste was imprecise - solved with the OS updates
  2. Default '$' instead of '£' - not a simple as the 9900, but there is a solution, with the help of this website
  3. Outlook synch - solved with OS updates
  4. Speed dial a bit of a faff - only found out to-day it has been fixed, and works as well as the 9900, I probably missed the comments from all the helpers on this site.

BB you must have listened to your users on this and other webpages, and made the Q10 a good replacement, and credit is due to your engineers in fixing these 'anomolies', but you have missed a trick in NOT PUBLICISING THESE CHANGES, BLOW YOUR OWN TRUMPET FOR A CHANGE, LET THE USERS KNOW!!!

I look forward to many years of BB developments.

NOTE: I am a user of BB, and in noway have any financial interest in BB.

Go Canada. :Angel:

regards,

Sandy

New Contributor
tbraddock

JSanders

First, you deserve a hearty thank you for your persistent efforts to solve uninvited problems...so, thank you for your ongoing and magnanimous efforts.

WRT “choose which data set will resolve an individual syncing conflict at the time that the user is notified of the conflict  I don't understand this question”

Consider the following: I attach my phone to the computer and attempt to sync it. When using BDS with my 9900, at the conclusion of comparing the device data with the Outlook data, BDS first highlights which data are in conflict and then allows me to examine what’s on the device versus what’s in Outlook. BDS then allows me to choose which data set wins the conflict. Further, BDS then allows me to look at each individual change that it proposes making and lets me decide if I’m OK with it before going through with the changes. This graduated syncing functionality was lost when BB foisted BB Link upon us. I don’t recall a Read Me that announced the loss of what I deem to be an elegant syncing solution.

Thanks for maintaining the conversation.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That's because BB10 was launched with NO syncing solution and BlackBerry had no plans to offer a syncing solution stating the cloud sync was the way of the future. After a rebellion by customers, with JSanders at the lead and making the most noise, they finally agreed to offer desktop syncing and add it back. It is not as robust as what was on BDS. However, considering where we were in January when BB10 was launched I think it's pretty remarkable to have sync at all.

The change forced me into getting contacts and calendar into Google and I'm happy that I did as I'm not tied to desktop syncing anymore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
giepie
My Device: Q10

I have to second you on that one. I would also like to add that I have never needed to use desktop sync, I always sync'd with my Google Apps accounts (Calendar, mail, contacts...)

But for those who still use Desktop sync, I do understand the feeling of a critical/essential feature being taken away.