Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 6,028
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

I don't think BlackBerry continues to regroup and one day in the future all the haters will continue to eat those words. Same as those who said it would be dead by 2010. Then 2011. And then 2012. And BlackBerry is still going.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
giepie
My Device: Q10

I certainly hope so. I've come to love BB, mainly due to the fact that everything was always so logical and you were always two clicks away from whatever you needed to do.

The old BB button used to work similar to a right click on a computer. Just imagine someone taking away your PC's rightclick. Even worse, imagine someone taking away your mouse! This is how removing the trackpad and other navigation buttons feels like to me.

And I would REALLY like to have the dial/end buttons back. I REALLY miss the red button. Perhaps if BB could link the backspace button with the RED button's functionality this would resolve that matter in a future release.
JSanders

The three dots overflow icon or touching and holding has replaced the BlackBerry menu key.

And that too, is covered in the user guide. Has anyone not taken the time to scroll through the manual?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
rlkswan

Manual??  We just ask you..

Anyway, I would certainly miss my Q10 if BB went bust: Great keyboard, bright fast screen and the navigation so much better than my Bold, with that irritating flicking bar of icons and a lousy browser. I no longer miss the button pad, which was so yesterday. No, I don't think keyboards are yesterday.

Rob

Contributor
matt1
My Device: q10

You'll get used to the lack of a trackpad, the finger wipe across the Q10 is one of the only things that works very well and I haven't missed my old track pad.
Regular Contributor
giepie

[ Edited ]

Then I guess I'm the only one left with that frustration. I've had my Q10 now for 3+ months and I really can't get used to not having the scrolley thingy trackpad.

I've got huge hands and fingers, the icons (particularly the X's) are tiny on the screen and I always have to tap them several times, sooo annoying. It is workable when I'm sitting at home or somewhere being a bit more relaxed, but when I desperately need to answer 20 emails and lookup answers on our company wiki etc I get so frustrated I want to throw the Q10 out the Window.

I can't understand this logic: You have two types of systems (referring to the trackpad navigation vs touchscreen navigation)

1) Control your entire device's navigation from a small area (referring to the trackpad, red, green, BB and back buttons)

2) Control your entire device's navigation from a HUGE area (being the screen)

Now lets say you're an IT manager and you have to control all your company's branches' servers. Would it makes sense to:

1) Control your entire company's servers from a single place (your IT office) remotely (like using the tiny area your trackpad etc uses)

or

2) Physically go to each server to manage it (like navigation using the screen does)

Shopping centers:

1) Would you have your staff going to each customer to bill them (big screen, staff all over the shop with POS machines)

or

2) have your customers come to a small area to pay there?

Perhaps someone could come up with an example which would put my mind straight, but in my reasoning removing the trackpad is a huge step backwards in technology. Just like RobertVance said:

"Imagine in the age when the TV remote control was first introduced and suddenly people could change channels faster than ever before. But then that TV company decided to abandon the remote control and put a fancy touch screen on the TV itself and labeled it as a feature. What progress are we really making here?"

Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

Who really ever reads user guides for smartphones?

I am still with my 9900 for business and very happy with it. I had never needed a user guide.

For "pleasure" I am currently working with a Note3, which is so self-explanatory that I have not even thought of needing a user guide.

Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

@giepie

If the track pad were the only OS10 topic in comparison to OS7, one could get over it. However, there are so many more lacking features, which I had put down in many earlier posts of the past.

To be very frank, the only advantage of OS10 is the fast browser. All the rest ist the failed attempt to produce a BlackBerry smartphone with the traits of an iOS/Android mixed breed. 

JSanders

[ Edited ]

AndyZed wrote:

Who really ever reads user guides for smartphones?

No, I wouldn't expect you to read anything other than this thread for a device you don't even use and only come here for negative comments and trolling.

You've posted NO relative comments in months, you're not asking questions for support and you don't respond here to attempt to help other users with questions. All you can do is whine about stuff now. What you knew four months ago is no longer relative to discussion here after the recent OS upgrades.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
petercreasey

AndyZed wrote:I am still with my 9900 for business and very happy with it.

Andy,  Your grievance with the Q10 is readily apparent; thus, you don't need to keep  coming here with your hard feelings.  It's not productive for you or for anyone.

. . . . .  Pete