Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Trusted Contributor
augusts
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Bite

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

[ Edited ]
Bis is very important when you travel from europe to Russia, each mb costa arnd 8 usd there for a european carrier like me. When i used q10 for few weeks i travelled to london for few days ans didnt switch off the roaming, that was it the next day i switched to 9900. Simply u cannot used with roaming onky wifi which at that tdidnt work properly. And to John: why do you have an ipad is there is playbook??
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

You can post it here all you want. However, BB rarely reads these forums. If I were trying to get something through to BB folks I would tweet them. That seems to get more attention.

As for my iPad, I fly airplanes for a living and the iPad is the only device that runs the apps I need for navigation.

I have two 64GB Playbooks, too. See my info under my name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
augusts

How would you know bb reads here or not? They havent that is for sure but they should if they want to get some feedback from their costumers.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

They may read it but rarely ever post.  The forum is a peer-to-peer resources for users to help other users.  It's not an official support channel.  This was spelled out in the terms and conditions when you signed up and it says it at the top of the screen.  Again, if you want to get suggestions noticed then I suggest tweeting them @BlackBerry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
augusts

If i am not wrong it was dell which used to ignore forums like these on their products. One day they stoped ingoring and it gave soke positive signals. Read it somewhere some time ago already. Maybe someone knows here?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mdbd
My Carrier: ATT

Hello everyone!  I'm one of the early posters about this and am still chewing my nails down in frustration.  My husband left for Europe on Sunday to present at a VERY large conference.  As I'd mentioned before, he had to take an iphone because his firm won't allow the Q10 because of a lack of security which violates their policy - unlike the 9900 which he could use previously.  It was gnawing at me about all the wasted opportunity BB had to listen to us - so it forced me to write another load of BAD poetry in the hopes someone fresh at BB might read it!  Anyway, for those of you who didn't see my original post:   (I've reposted it here in blue font).  My latest addition is at the very end in red font.

I have emailed (attempted to) the executive board at BB as a last ditch plea before I sit in a bath of baked beans outside BB's corporate offices dressed as an oversized 9900 to plead the case for the phone!  Heh, someone may listen!  Here's what I wrote:

Dear Thorsten, Kristian, Brian, Frank and even Steven too!

As a blackberry dedicated user – I hope this reaches you!

Please offer me the courtesy of a real and true reply

Direct from YOU to show YOU’VE read and understand just why

The Z and Q we cannot use for real business or play

Consumer unfriendly, Ill thought out, did users get a say?

In designing both the Z and Q why did you not ask us?

We could have told you everything to help you keep that buzz

The technical, the interface, the extras that we want

Not ‘busy’ screen, time-consuming swipes or a choice of pretty fonts

You MUST all listen and take to heart what clients want and need

To lose this captive market now will make your profits bleed

You can’t gain fans or sell handsets with essentials just not there

The market for the ‘fluff’ leisure phone is saturated bare

For all its faults (think “checkerboard”) the 9900 WORKS

The trackpad is essential or we’ll give you a wide berth

So swallow your pride, ditch the Z and Q and listen to our roar

Make 9900 your focus and long term BB will soar

….and now to the reasons why I need to keep my Blackberry 9900 (no poetry from now!)

If you go to the supportforums.blackberry.com area of your website, you will see an entry from a  man named Robert, entitled “Why I’m giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900” and the very large (and growing rapidly) number of responses from users, just like me.  My own entry on the site reads:

Oh Blackberry, what have you done?

I'm with you Robert on returning to the 9900.  In fact, my Q10 was returned to ATT today and my new 9900 (my previous one died from abuse) arrives tomorrow.  (Is it possible to see my sigh of relief online)?

The last straw was last night when Blackberry told me to buy a developer's program to link to another program to link to another to sync my business calendar.  SORRY?  And whilst the hub is a great idea, functionally it is a speed-reducer.  It's a time waster, not a time saver.  I have separate emails for distinct reasons.  I have thinks I want to keep separate in order not to confuse my 'inbox' and my time.

My BB is used for my sole-person business, my teaching jobs and emergency situations (daily and without notice) for a chronically-ill child.  I need the trackpad and my 5 quick go-to functions of the phone to get me from A-Z with the least time.  The hub of the Q10 not only makes this less simple (and most definitely less objective and practical) to use, but it's a whole load of screen swipes and time delay from what I need in one place.

A friend of mine literally has a 'life-saving' job for which she needs her blackberry.  She is on-call 24-7 arranging life-saving medical care and addressing emergencies.  The Q10 cannot give her the fast-paced, functional core that she needs...and when I say time means lives, in her case, I mean it.  She's hanging on to her 9900 for dear life (sorry about the pun).

My husband has always loved his blackberry.  It has been essential for him - businessman, world traveler, always working and on-call.  When he got his first blackberry I was convinced he'd fallen in love with it more than me (not sure whether that has changed)!  HOWEVER, he is now unable to use Blackberry.  Why?  The Q10 and Z10 do not have the security features that will allow him to work securely with the information he has to handle and the massive  firm for which he works, has had to transfer everyone to iPhone (WHICH HE (and everyone else) HATES) and have said they cannot support the new BB Os..

The 9900 has some very well-known glaring faults:  slow browser (I am BEYOND SICK of checkerboards...anyone else?),  the charger point (which is very weak in terms of how sturdy it is), and the screen real estate (as you fancy tecchies like to say....the rest of us will happily go with 'screen size').  In terms of additional apps....yes I know many of you like the ability to choose between zillions of them, but I'm more in need of a workhorse with power and the 9900 gives that.

There are, of course, other faults with the 9900 that more stringent business users find frustrating.  No need to list them here as I know many others have already done this. However, compared to the ill-thought out Q10 and Z10, it's a dream.

I always think of computer programmers and heavy computer users when trying to make an analogy regarding phones:

Why is it that computer programmers and REAL solid business users use key strokes (think of the old DOS system and WordPerfect for the archaic end-users like me) and swift codes?  They use them because they get to the core of what is needed, and quickly (just like the 9900).  When MS Word came out, I thought (and still think) that these little drop down boxes and pretty icons are more geared to the 'fluff'' user:  the person who has time (or lack of knowledge) to move between icons, choose a picture, grab another box, etc, etc.  This translates to cell phones just the same.  For example:  The Samsung Galaxy 4?  Very fragrant little phone if you want to choose between bubble gum pink dialog boxes or pale blue or yellow (for your text messages)...but I DON'T NEED THAT!  I don't want or need to have thirty-five thousand wake-up tunes for my phone alarm clock and the ability to have a disco-ball app on my work phone (oh yes...believe me..it's on there).

The 9900 is a business phone and serious phone for those cell phone users who don't necessarily need to tweet all day long as a method of communicating with their next-door neighbor.  The Q10 has fallen (unfortunately) into the trap of working with the 'fluff' aspect of the market rather than the serious user.

If the 9900 gets a much faster browser and added functionality (with a little larger screen) without losing its essential characteristics:  Blackberry - YOU WILL HAVE THE PERFECT PHONE!  ANYONE LISTENING BLACKBERRY?

One last thing...I used to work for the world's 4 largest cell phone company in all international markets.  Guess what we all used for work and play?  Yep:  Blackberry.  Every 3 months, we would all have to pick three customer numbers (picked 'blind') and contact them to ask a)  what are we doing right, b) what are we doing wrong, c) what do we need to do to keep your business and what do YOU as a consumer want to see from us?  Well I feel this is where Blackberry has just got it wrong.  The emphasis has been on the company's developers trying to compete with and out-do the leisure-user brands (targeting a trendier and over-saturated market) and diverting from the essential business-core that has been its main appeal for many years.  They've not asked us (the long-term BB user) what we needed, or what we thought.  I'm not a fuddy-duddy, ancient, wrinkled grandma who doesn't want the extras; but I'm certainly a heavy user of what have always been the Blackberry essentials and Blackberry has dropped the ball in ensuring that our needs have been met in the Q10.

So, I'm getting my 9900 tomorrow and will be saying my prayers tonight that the 'powers that be' at Blackberry swallow their pride, realize they made a really big marketing and directional mistake, and produce a 9900 for the future.  ANYONE LISTENING BB?

Since posting the above entry last week, I was out for dinner with a good friend of mine, who happens to be the Head of Communications for an international pharmaceutical company.  Guess what phone he uses?  Yes – the 9900 and he is unwilling to part with it because the Q10 and Z10 are time wasters for him and don’t give him what he needs.  Like all of us commenting on the forum – the trackpad and ‘home’ interface are essential.

In no way are we saying to get rid of extra apps or speedier mechanisms – but the whole HUB aspect of the new phones DOES NOT WORK and is time-prohibiting.  You can attract more leisure users easily with the extras (and I’m not saying to get rid of those) but you can’t do it at the expense of your core market.

Now…back to the poetry:

Please call me and/or email me so I can give input

On what your phones really need before BB becomes kaput

Your developers need to listen when designing any phone

To actual groups of businessmen or your chances will be blown

So swallow your pride, get back in the game and admit that you were wrong

Put an improved 9900 out there for us and you’ll be singing a sweet song!

Many thanks and I really WOULD love to get involved when you are working on your product offerings.

..enjoy everyone!

Before you read the latest offering below, I'd like to thank my vodka martini for it's excellent support in producing my little ditty...

Oh boy, oh boy, why do I need

To write to you again?

I'm sick of worrying Blackberry

Is bleeding down the drain

Who took responsibility

For designing that **bleep** hub?

Heads should roll and quickly

Before I bash them with a club

'In-house' bods are not the best

At real-world business wants

Not understanding  COMMON SENSE in

Apps and mail and fonts

Behind their programs, developers

Are aging wishful teens

They're happy to be 'what's up braw'

And think they're still 18

We're into smart

They're into 'rides'

And think they're 'tope' as well

But then give us with one LOUSY phone

Which fails at the hard sell

Are synthesizer voices and the hub

Necessary for me?

The swiping action on its own

Requires an advanced degree

We're past all that

And happily so

So listen to us noobs

10 = EPIC FAIL

Is that 'hoodrat' enough for you?

What do I ask?  Well just the same

As when I asked before

For Christmas I just want a phone

That works great, and no more:

A quicker browser

No checkerboard

No sexy, posing stuff

I'm past the need for irrelevance

Of apps that give just FLUFF

A bigger screen

The QWERTY STAYS,

but bigger if you could

Check deposits to my bank

But please, NO BLOODY HUB!

Security, productivity

Is all I really ask

You spent too much on Playbook

And Alicia Keys is past..

...any relevance to your customers

Your BREAD AND BUTTER ones

Remember us?  People you need

To score that big home run?

No Q and Z, please concentrate

On the basic ABC's

The things that work, the 'need to have'

That made BB so great

So PLEASE this time just listen   

And do just as we say

The posters on this BB board

Will show you the right way

Read through the posts and understand

Just where we're coming from

Learn from suggestions, tips and you'll

succeed with all aplomb!

I'm happy to rap it sitting in a bath of beans whilst simultaneously trying to seduce Anderson Cooper (highly unlikely as I am a girl) if anyone at BB takes notice!!  You'd think that someone there now realizes the key to success with any future offering is actually incredibly simple.  BB – you have really messed this one up by overcomplicating things.  Ah well. Personally I'd go back to drawing on a cave wall rather than go to iphone or worse, Samsung!  When I was at T-Mobile UK years' ago we LOVED BB and we were one of the first companies to really take notice of what our customers said with DIRECT contact with them and also internet research as to their postings/thoughts, etc.  I know this, because I facilitated it for our e-business department.  Unfortunately BB has removed itself from interaction with its core customer base.  Actual customer feedback is essential for the success of a firm.  Build on feedback and ask for our direct buy-in and the company will do well.

Please Father Christmas...can the reindeer give my Christmas list to Blackberry's CEO?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,906
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

augusts wrote:
If i am not wrong it was dell which used to ignore forums like these on their products. One day they stoped ingoring and it gave soke positive signals. Read it somewhere some time ago already. Maybe someone knows here?

That's pretty much illegible.

The fact that you don't like BlackBerry not reading this thread for forums, is not the issue in this thread. Staying on topic would help.

John-Clark, will not reason, is here only to complain and is simply nothing but a troll at this point.

He knew the Q10 didn't have a trackpad to begin with before he bought the device. It was clear to anyone who asked that the Q10 would not use BIS anylonger, yet that's unreasonable to him.

, I honestly don't know understand why you stick around. You're getting no where here. The device IS what it is, and your threats if BIS and trackpad don't return are pretty much falling on deaf ears in this thread. Yea, it'd be nice for you, but no one in this thread is gonna make it happen.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

@mdbd,
While your poetry is cute, your biggest argument, the issues with the Hub not being workable, only shows that you never gave the Q10 the chance and didn't learn how to work it.

I can VERY quickly swipe over and select to view each individual mailbox. That part of BB10 is MUCH faster than moving to different individual mail folders on the 9900.

I'm not going to go back over all of it but your argument in favor of iPhone due to security that the BB lacks doesn't have much merit either. I'd like to see where you got your facts on that because it is clear that the security on the iPhone, while it's gotten better, is lacking--see all the iPhone hacks and jailbreaks that come out every time a new OS is released. I suspect the security issue was only an excuse to move the iPhone.

I hope your messages to BlackBerry top management get read but your main arguments don't really cut it, at least for me.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again
My Carrier: Telekom

@John

You wrote: "I can VERY quickly swipe over and select to view each individual mailbox. That part of BB10 is MUCH faster than moving to different individual mail folders on the 9900."

That isn't quite correct. I myself have a total of 8 mail accounts on my 9900 (6 POP, 1 IMAP, 1 MS-Exchange), which at first have individual mail folders.

It is however possible to implement one mutual folder for all mail accounts, also for SMS, WhatsApp and XING on the 9900. This is easy to implement. I can then hide the individual mail folders in order to keep a better overview on the Bold display. Thus it isn't necessary to move to different individual mail folders on the 9900.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,906
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

AndyZed wrote:

It is however possible to implement one mutual folder for all mail accounts, also for SMS, WhatsApp and XING on the 9900. This is easy to implement. I can then hide the individual mail folders in order to keep a better overview on the Bold display. Thus it isn't necessary to move to different individual mail folders on the 9900.

The exact same is possible on the Q10 under OS 10.2.1.xxx

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.