Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
BIGN
My Device: Q10

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

As mentioned by Robbie, the market has spoken and RIM shares tumbled 20%! Yes twenty percent!!! RIM was holding it's hope on the Q10 and Z10 and regrettably the strategy does not seem to be working. I believe the market would take a much dimmer view of RIM if they read this thread! The market's view is based on the limited info RIM is passing to the market. Furthermore, the stock-market's reaction is based on a limited time with the Q10 being available and not enough time for a large enough segment of feedback. This is still to come; and based on this thread, it "ain't gonna be good"! The messages RIM communicate to the market are confusing and do not give a true complete picture. One day they want to focus on their core business clients with a true business phone; the next day they launch a new platform with to phones that will alienate the core market that use Blackberry. I would certainly not invest in this company...very sad...
Contributor
RobertVance
My Device: 9900

I've just realized there is another somewhat chilling angle to all of this. The theme of this thread and a view held by many here is that we are going to stick with our OS 7 devices as long as possible. Depending on what happens in the next few quarters, that might be a shorter period of time than we might expect.

Think about the Blackberry topology. The value of the devices is based almost entirely on being connected to BES/BIS. These systems route all traffic through a Blackberry managed infrastucture. We've all seen what happens when the "Blackberry network" goes down. That's actually a huge selling feature of ActiveSync - no global single point of failure.

My doomsday scenario is that the Blackberry engineers that keep that network up and running, concerned for their jobs will preemptively find work elsewhere. These are the guys with the deep instutional knowledge of how things work. As more people leave, the network will have some issue that takes it down. Only this time, it takes them days to get it back up because no one left knows how to fix it.

When that happens, most of our beloved older devices will be not much more than paperwieights and will unravel the company like nothing before. Now, once again, $3 billion dollars buys you one hell of a cushion so I don't see this anytime soon. But if enough of the right people leave in fear... It could get ugly.

What is that famous proverb / curse?

"May you live in interesting times."

- Robbie (written on my Bold 9900)
Contributor
BIGN

BlackBerry need to urgently launch a true upgrade to the 9900 as soon as possible. They can keep the os10 going for new users, and slowly build that platform up. In the meantime, so as not to loose their core business and to keep an acceptable market share, they need to invest quickly in os7 and new devices.

I think this is the only viable strategy for mid to long term survival of Blackberry...

Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

BIGN has given a true and viable viewpoint of the given situation, which BlackBerry should really and seriously take to heart!
Contributor
vvdon03hcmut

[ Edited ]

BB OS 10 is a new platform that follows a tendency and still keeps the original value. It's difficult to satisfy all demands. All are at the start...

To improve everything, I think Blackberry must hear customer comments, They must collect all issues, ideas, comments,…Those are the things a Manufacturer have to do..

And the contribution of customer is too important, If we still love blackberry, we'll contribute to them, by suggestions, ideas,...

And of course, there are a lot of things that Blackberry must do.

I think a new OS Release will satisfy all demands, day by day...

I'm using Q10, many issues but also many excitement...

Regards,

Don

New Contributor
meny
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 ...Going back to the Bold 9900

After a long waiting I conclude that the Q10 is not for me.

Here is my personal priority in in smartphone.

1. Phone the easy of making call, find contact etc. .
  2. Text / email.
  3. Browsing.
  4. Other application like Map / GPS / Skype…

The Blackberry devices all the way to the 9900 found a way to marry ease of phone use, with the smartphone capability.

My friends although carry iPhones and Androids devices was always impress by how quick and simple me to make a call on my Blackberry.

Now that Blackberry makes it as complicated as iPhone to make a call even on the Q10 there is no good reason to move to Q10.

The Z10 is very similar to iPhone shape and behavior  … just a “me too” phone .

The Q10 has physical keyboard, but without the evolution of Blackberry :

No speed dial ,

No quick navigation keys : Trackpad  ,back button, Home. (note:  even the iPhone has home button) .

No Wifi Calling .

Q10  is as hard to make a call as the iPhone.

I will keep using my 9900 for now .

New Contributor
BrianAllanAng

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 ...Going back to the Bold 9900

Evrything is so true, 

the BB 9900 is way better than the q10. i was expecting a better blackberry to replace my 9900. but it seems that blackberry has neglected all the good things they were known for. i purchased a q 10 and after trying my best to understand it, it seems that i just have to put it back in the box. 

i dont know if BB RIM would be able to develop a software to change and reverse all of our concerns. and maybe i would reconsider using the Q10 i purchased. 

BB RIM if they want to compete with Samsung and Iphone with their touch fones, they should just do it with the z10 but since they created a keypad hanheld mobile phone, they should have developed the Q10 way different and specifically for those people lke me who still prefers to have a physical keyboard and a business phone. 

I HOPE THAT RIM WOULD RESPOND/ CONSIDER keeping the 9900 format and developing it better for the users who still prefers the keypad, the trackball.

THINGS THEY SHOULD NOT REMOVE FROM A (BUSINESS / KEYBOARD PHONES)

1. The ability to do a long press on a key and make a call ( DIRECT SPEED DIAL) thats very important to me and i guess to a lot of people

2. The convenience of searching your contacts with a few keys press. ( unlike the Q10 where in you have to really use both hands to find a contact. ( at times even with the search screen on, typing  a name doesnt even search any contact)

3. the accesibility or mobility to move around the screen with one hand. (the trackball was one of the best thing that happend with BB) its now so complicated with the Q10.

and a lot more....

Now Why would RIM create a keyboard phone where in the functions are that of a touch fone. 

if they want to compete with the other touch fones, do that with the z10. Since they created the q10 keyboard based fone. they should have kept the essence of the keyboard type fones, otherwise scrap the q10 it defeats the purpose.

>>>> lastly there is no customer response and center for us to communicate with BB. i rmbr way back with PALM TREO where in they have a toll free number and you can simply pick up the fone and ask all the questions you need .... Does BB have the same thing????? please help. 

BB RIM, Please try to address our concerns and maybe you can be bigger than IPHONE and SAMSUNG. customer response is something you should not neglect. 

Contributor
IoannisFCN
My Device: Q10 and back again to 9900 Bold

In complete agreement with your message and with all the people who shared this unexpected cold shower from BB in the name of progress... To add some more spice... After struggling with my new Q10 for a week now, things have not become any easier... I still miss the control buttons and I still hate the touch screen... This is a business tool and not a toy. And fooling around with that touch screen like the kids around us with their smart phones simply doesn't cut it. For perspective, Remember just forgot a set of several notes/entries that I had to type all over again from the Notes on my old 9970... They simply vanished on day 8!!! Oh, and so did thousands of messages from my inboxes.... Now they only go back to 2-3 months... Randomly! Nothing to recover them... After it took almost forever to download them, now they all vanished... Seriously disappointed by this model... Best to all, John.
Regular Contributor
AndyZed
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again

Often the touch screen capability of the Q10 is being put in the front row. We, i.e. the old followers of the RIM philosophy, shouldn't forget that the 9900 had the best of both worlds + the track pad. What a shame. I gladly use my 9900 for business and will stick to it after having discarded my Q10. If I want to play, I use my Note II.
New Contributor
BrianAllanAng

the same here .... using my 9900 for business and for the other stuffs such as gaming, facebook, browsing, i use Samsung Note 2. very efficient as well.