Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
luc3ky
My Device: Q10

computer cannot communicate with Blackberry

I'm trying to use Blackberry Link to transfrer the Contacts currently on my Blackberry to my Sony Vaio computer. However, when I try to access the tab for my Blackberry Q10 within Blackberry Link, I get a message indicating that it "Cannot Communicate with Device". It offers me two options: to try Reconnecting -- which doesn't work -- or Reloading. However, if I choose Reload, it says that it will restore the factory settings. Elsewhere, it says that if I restore the factory settings, I will lose all my data -- which, of course, would defeat the original purpose of being able to transfer the data related to my Contacts to my computer. So what can I do?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
omargaizi
My Device: BB Q10

Re: computer cannot communicate with Blackberry

Hi,

Does the BB Link connect with the phone, can you preform other tasks, like a backup to the phone

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

I believe the BB link gives you a one-time chance to get the contacts from your old phone and transfer to your new Blackberry.  I did not do that since I just had new Q10 to backup.

Contacts are part of the backup.  I may be wrong but you cannot cherry pick data sets. You must go with everything.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
luc3ky

Currently, when I attach the Blackberry to the computer via USB cable, the computer seems to recognize the Blackberry, at least in terms of emiting a sound that would normally signal a new connection. However, that seems to be about it. I can't seem to make other connections -- other than that, in Windows Explorer, I can see what appears to be a connection to the Blackberry. There's Drive C and then the Blackberry (as what apears to be a separate drive, like any USB-connected device).

However, when you click on that drive, you get a message saying that it's empty. In addition, you can also elsewhere see the Blackberry listed under "PC Settings/Devices" beside the message "RIM Network Device -- Driver Error").

Previously -- a few days ago? -- I could see the Blackberry and transfer files back-and-forth between the computer and the Blackberry (usually via copy and paste).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
luc3ky

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. It appears that, when my carrier (Koodo) set the Blackberry up for me, it did transfer the contacts from my previous cell phone to the Blackberry. (Whether it used Blackberry Link to do this, I don't know). But the challenge now is to transfer the contacts from the Blackberry to my new laptop. That's what I'm trying to do now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

Blackberry Link may do backup automatically.  Whenever that program is busy, it presents a "spinner" but no status line to say what it is doing.  The help documentation is pretty good so you can set it up with your preferences.

In the help menu, you can find the location of your backup files. Your contacts and other profile data are secured within so you cannot modify them with BB link.

Part of the device memory is allocated for photos, music,  and documents. You don't need BBlink to modify the so-called media folder.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.