Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: Q5

Re: How can I get my phone working after water ingress

Okay, I'm pleased to say I have a result.
My phone now works perfectly, it took two flattened batteries but then I connected to my computer on third attempt and incredibly it kick started it into life.
I thought I had lost it but no, just inconvenient at the most.

Many many thanks, patience is the key. Once again THANK YOU...
Have a good Christmas my friend. John.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

I'm happy for you, looks like Christmas came early for you, a phone you thought was gone coming back to you is almost as good as getting a new one.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor

You are right, just like a new one.

I don't even know you but am extremely grateful for your help...

You have a good Christmas, I will. :smileyhappy:

John.
My Device: 9720 BlackBerry Bold

Let's see if it's not too late to help you, bear with me, for I will do things in reverse and tell you what I did twice, that is drop one BlackBerry into a cup of coffee and a few months ago drop my BlackBerry Bold into seawater in the Philippines!!!! In both cases I was able to get them back working for I have a background in electronics.

When any phone is dropped into water YOU MUST REMOVE THE BATTERY A.S.A.P for electricity is being applied to the circuitry of the phone and as we all know water and electricity do not get on too well together LOL

Let me tell you how I fixed the one that dropped into seawater in the Philippines in March this year.

1) I took out the battery immediately. Practice doing this so that you can do it in double quick time. It is well worth doing that for we all do the same or similar to you at some time.

2) Pour water gently over the keyboard and SHAKE OFF VIGOUROUSLY. This will get rid of anything such as sand or sticky coffee that might me jamming the keys. Repeat this at least one more time. When you SHAKE HARD AND FAST make sure that the phone is pointing DOWNWARDS so that GRAVITY will also play its part.

3)Then you can either leave the phone to dry out naturally, in a hot country that is not a problem, but the BEST TIP IS TO PLACE YOUR PHONE WITH BATTERY REMOVED INTO A BOWL OF DRY UNCOOKED RICE. This will naturally attract any remaining water. Repeat this if necessary. You may need to be patient for depending how much water got in 24 hours in the rice may be necessary.

I hope this is able to help you. 

Mike Doyle

London

England

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,
what an interesting story... not just ME then :smileyhappy:
The only problem with the Q5 is the battery is fixed, at least for people like me that means removal impossible.
My phone would not switch off after the 'mishap', it was just Blackberry logo and backlight permanence until it went flat, I did the shaking etc, blind panic that's shorthand for, to help.
At first re-charge nothing changed so repeated the 48 hours treatment, the second turn on was successful.

Motto is, don't drop it in the loo, or any other 'wet' place. The secret is 48 hours and don't panic, twice if need be..
HAPPY CHRISTMAS everyone... :smileyhappy: John.

Sorry I forgot to say that I connected my phone to my computer, then turned it on... I don't know if this helped but it certainly worked..