Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790

How do I search all Contacts fields in the Q5 with OS10.2?

Blackberry appear to be advancing backwards with their new Q5 and 10.2 operating system. I originally bought the Blackberry specifically for its ability to search into the notes field of email contacts, which no other phone could do at the time. When the operating system was "upgraded" to OS7 I was disappointed to find out that the Blackberry Search was no longer able to access the Contacts Notes field. But then I discovered the "OldSearch" app. This app replicated the old search functionality and I have been using it on my 9790 quite happily for the past two years. However, when the time came to renew my contract this year I made the BIG MISTAKE of assuming that the Q5 with its OS 10.2 would be a big step forward. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED. Once again the Blackberry search function could not search the notes field of Contacts but, worst of all, OldSearch cannot run on OS 10.2. After four days trying to persevere with the new menu format and combined with the search problem I decided to give up and hand the Q5 back. I have subsequently found out that most cell phones now have the facility to search into the Contacts notes, including the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone. So, reluctantly, I say bye-bye Blackberry, hello Samsung S4.
Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: How do I search all Contacts fields in the Q5 with OS10.2?

So, you're not really asking how to search contacts notes on the device. You just came to tell us you switched to to the S4.

Good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Reply to John Clark:

John, I REALLY AM asking how to search all the Contacts fields as I still have the opportunity to stay with Blackberry before I get an alternative phone. 

It's very difficult to find anybody who can give advice on this subjet as most people either don't understand the problem or are not using Blackberries! 

Any help would be of assistance!

Chris.

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

You're correct. The notes field is not searchable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: 9780

There is an Android app called "Contacts Search Advanced" on Google Play; you can install from Amazon App Store directly on to Blackberry 10. The developer is aquilin.nl and the link on Google Play is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.aquilin.acs&hl=en

Other than the banner ads this app quickly and reliably seaches all fields on Contacts. Which begs te question, why on earch is Blackberry unable to implement a functionality that some random Android port seems to have no trouble doing? It is truly baffling; I wish Blackberry could be a little more forthcoming when they bizzarely remove essential functionality and never breath a word of explanation .....

Guru I

I'm sure they know how. However, it's a bit short sighted to think that every option can quickly be included on every device. Every option comes with a cost vs benefit. To band one option means hundreds of hours of programming and testing and there has to be enough demand. Maybe it will come later.
Contributor
My Device: 9780

John - I think full keyword search of plain text fields should not involve 100s of hours of programming ... It's sort of like the most basic thing a computer can do, even DOS could search plain text fields for content. As I note, an Android port called Contacts Search Advanced appears to have no problem searching text fields of contacts, and that is working through the Android emulator. To suggest that Blackberry is not cabpable of searching fields in its contacts database without superhuman programming effort seems shockingly unlikely; or, if it is the case, certainly merits some kind of explanation. Would you happen to be in a position to get some responsible person at Blackberry to be responsive to this sort of issue?

-----

There is an Android app called "Contacts Search Advanced" on Google Play; you can install from Amazon App Store directly on to Blackberry 10. The developer is aquilin.nl and the link on Google Play is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.aquilin.acs&hl=en

Other than the banner ads this app quickly and reliably seaches all fields on Contacts. Which begs te question, why on earch is Blackberry unable to implement a functionality that some random Android port seems to have no trouble doing? It is truly baffling; I wish Blackberry could be a little more forthcoming when they bizzarely remove essential functionality and never breath a word of explanation .....

Guru I

I hear you. However, there is MUCH more that goes into EVERY option. Every added line of code affects thousands of other lines of code and, yes, it does add hundreds of hours of programming, testing, and reprogramming to get the code released. Then technical writing has to be done to add the feature to manuals, etc.

While I agree with you it's a nice feature, you can't underestimate what it takes to add each and ever feature.

It has been suggested before but, as of yet, it's not a feature. I don't know why other then it doesn't come up that often here.
New Contributor

John, maybe the reason that this subject does not come up here that often is that people have given up and moved on. It is clear from Blackberry's lackadaisical approach that it is not interested in satisfying its customers needs.