Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Orange

How the Q5 Wrecked My PC

I became the proud possessor of a Q5 a few days ago, took some photos with it and connected it to my Dell Inspiron (Windows 8) by the USB cable provided, intending to upload the pictures to the PC. I set everything going to install Blackberry Link on the Dell and wandered off to do something else. Upon returning I found an error message on my monitor, telling me that Windows Repair had been unable to repair my PC! After two hoursof sheer panic and online chat with a Dell engineer I had the PC working again, minus all of my installed software; it's taking me hour upon hour to get the Dell back to normal, and I keep receiving an error message that prevents me re-installing my e-mail software (Windows Live Mail). (The Dell engineer told me that software clashes of this type are not unknown.)

I am most unhappy with Blackberry, who must know of this devastating problem but don't appear to think it necessary to mention it. Shame on Blackberry, who should pay me a few hundred quid for my wasted time, frustration, and sleepless nights!

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: How the Q5 Wrecked My PC

Hey Twoddle,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the post.

When the computer was up and running again, did you install BlackBerry Link again and try to transfer any data?  Also have you tried to plug in the BlackBerry via USB to see if an error still appears?  

Also is this a laptop or a desktop computer?  Have you tried different USB ports?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Orange

Re: How the Q5 Wrecked My PC

Hello, Vicious Ferret.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried to reconnect the Blackberry to the computer (a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop) because I'm terrified of the possibility of having to go through all that repair nonsense again. I have another PC - a Toshiba Satellite C660 laptop (Windows 7) - and I'm tempted to try connecting the Blackberry to it, but I dread the prospect of Blackberry Link sending that one into a coma too.

The Dell desktop is now back to normal, but it took me an awful lot of time and effort to get it there!

Best wishes,

Twoddle