Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
BBBP
My Device: Q5

Maps 1013 error: "GPS location can't be found"

Hi,

the navigation feature of the Maps app on my Q5 keeps giving me the error code 1013 saying that the GPS location can't be found etc. 

I'm in Berlin under clear sky with up-to-date OS (10.2.1.2941) and location services are on and enabled for the app! 

Any idea how to fix it? 

It's so frustrating, really! And it's been like this since several updates. It's hard to believe that a leading smartphone company is acting so poor on such a severe issue. But I don't want to give up on my first BB after just a few months :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Peter 

New Contributor
BBBP

Re: Maps 1013 error: "GPS location can't be found"

Is it a forum read by Blackberry?

Can you just say something? For example: sell your phone and buy another, or wait 1 year for an update, etc.

I'd like to know what's going on with one of the basic features a modern age smart phone must have!

Thanks
New Contributor
harvesterofsoro

I'm having the same problem.  Maybe the Q6 has a substandard GPS device inside?  Very frustrating.

New Contributor
harvesterofsoro

Peter I have found a strange workaround for this which has worked so far, but is far from ideal.

The sports tracker app Endomondo uses GPS and I have been using this very well.

I open this app and let it locate and get ready for use, then close it and open the Maps app and it locates straight away. So it does seem to be a software rather than hardware issue.

To be honest though, even when logged on fine the Maps app has failed mid journey on a couple of occasions(Luckily in the sections I knew). So not sure I will ever trust this fully and look like having to buy a TomTom for piece of mind.

All the best.
bejobbq5
My Device: BB Q5

Me too on Q5, after update software the maps error,.. the UGLY UPDATE... Suckss
New Contributor
harvesterofsoro

It's bad. To the degree I can't trust it. I hope they sort it with the big update in the autumn. But to be honest there doesn't seem to be that many people who have complained about this problem so maybe not.
fsm
Contributor
fsm
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Ran across this thread as I am having the exact same problem.

When I run maps, it finds me just fine.  I can enter an address, and it calculates the route.  Then I hit the "Go" button and it says "Updating route", and ends with a 1013 error.

I have tested the gps using endomondo, GPS test and other apps and it works fine.  The virtual expert also seems ok.  This seems very much like a software error.

I have done 2 security wipes (no change). Did a "Factory reset" from link (which i think is just another security wipe), and even did not accept the last update....still no change.

Ultimately, this looks really like a bug of some kind. Surely Blackberry can fix it?  There seems to be a lot of similar posts around various forums.

I'm running 10.2.1.3062

New Contributor
harvesterofsoro

To be honest, my problem has got worse rather than better. Even locking on via Endomondo has become unreliable and some days I give up and have to enter my walk miles manually. I have a Q5 not "Q6" as I said before haha. I can't work out what it is. If I didn't value the physical keyboard so much I'd have gone now. I had to buy a Tom Tom because I need Sat Nav and have used my phones for several years until this one.
fsm
Contributor
fsm
My Device: Playbook

Thanks for replying.

Since late last night my turn-by-turn is working.  The only difference is that I am now fully charged (whereas I had maybe 20-25% before).   I wonder if you will get different results on a full charge?

I suppose it is possible your GPS just doesn't work on your device, but the virtual expert or the GPS Test program in BB World should say that.  Either way, I have to say I certainly don't have confidence that I can rely on the GPS, though I'm still hoping this will get fixed in 10.3.

New Contributor
BBBP

Guys, selling my first and last BB has solved the problem: GPS works just fine on my 3-year old $150 Android smart phone and I'm a happy user again :smileyhappy: