Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: 4038447692
Accepted Solution

Q5 no effective way to zoom in browser

[ Edited ]

I just went from a torch to a Q5.  Q5 doesn't seem to have a useable method of zooming in on a web page like the torch had.  TOrch would resize the width of the text to keep it all on the screen.  Q5 just scales it up in all dimensions and it is unreadable without scrolling left to right constantly.  I tried the reader function and it only converts some parts of a page to reader.  For example this is a forum site I use a lot   

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=458099&mid=3722731#M3722731

If I use reader, I only get one post at a time.  Is there a way to make this thing zoom like the torch did?  I've tried changing the font size in the browser, but it only changes a very few random words and numbers, nothing useful.

I really liked the torch but it was slowly dieing from the adverse conditions I use it in.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Q5 no effective way to zoom in browser

That's just the way the Q5 displays pages. The Z10 and Z30 screens will fit the page to their screens but the Q5 does not, I guess.

Other than pinching and zooming, you'll just have to look at the pages displayed like they currently are.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thats what I was afraid of, that seems like a giant step backwards, I just took it for granted that a newer phone would have all of the functionality of my old phone.  I wanted a keyboard so didn't look at the Z series.  Does the Q10 do the same?

Elite II

The Q5 and Q10 have similar screen dynamics so I'm guessing you'd see the same results with both (but I'm open to correction by someone with exact knowledge).

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Is this something that is likely to be addressed in future software updates, or is this just a lower grade phone and I get what I paid for?

Otherwise I'm pleased with the phone, much faster, I'm learning to work without buttons.....but still miss them.

Elite II

AlbertaFarmer wrote:

.....or is this just a lower grade phone and I get what I paid for?

The phone is considered entry level but only in terms of hardware construction (i.e. plastic housing of the phone). In terms of OS, it's running the same OS as the Q10 which is one of the finest available. More than likely it's the screen's square dimensions that dictate this behaviour.