Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

Contributor
My Device: LTE BB Q5 BLK DÉP
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Security wipe out.... backup?

Hi !

I want to do a security wipeout on my Q5 phone...

they are recommendaing to do a back up on bblinks....

but I have no photos, no video, I dont use any application outside of FB and twitter

What would that back up be for.... would I lose my contacts?

Thx

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Security wipe out.... backup?

That depends on where your contacts are saved. If they are saved to an associated email account (gmail, outlook.com, etc. then you wouldn't lose them. if you just have them saved in the "local" contact list then, yes, you would lose them.

Make the backup. It does take a little time but it's worth it if you realize there was something in it you needed. You don't HAVE to restore the backup when you're done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

First problem I have... iv got an 8g data stock memory on my phone... I have it for 2 months now and im already ar 7.7g... there are no new applications, there are no pictures or videos on the phones.... I'Ve deleted every single application I dont use... and deleted cookies and historic from my browser, and deleted everv txt msg and FB msg....

99% of my data are Stocked in the ''other data'' catégorie.. so I absolutely dont know what the F... it is... how can I have 7.7 g of Data after 2 month using it.....

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I really don't need to be sworn at for helping you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

im french.... so maybe my writing wasnt right.... in no way was I swearing at you ?! was just explaining you my problem... sorry if you took it that way.....
Guru II

This does happen, and it does happen to iOS devices too. I had it happen on my iPad2.

Try this go to the File Manager app. Choose "Device" at the bottom left and navigate to >misc >android >DCIM >Camera. Are there any photos in there? At the bottom change it to the List view and scroll down to the "Thumbs.db" file. How big is it? I've seen that file extremely large sometimes. It can be safely deleted. You might also look through other folders for similar files that are very large for no apparent reason.

If you can't find what is causing it then make the backup and do the wipe as instructed.
Guru II

JF31 wrote:
im french.... so maybe my writing wasnt right.... in no way was I swearing at you ?! was just explaining you my problem... sorry if you took it that way.....

Ah...so I guess you meant you didn't know what the French was taking up all the space!  

Contributor

I didnt find any file at all in the file manager app.....

I guess I will have to make the wipe.... but I need a usb cable I think?.. I dont recall getting one with the phone.... I will look for it.... since this morning, Im also having probleme with my Hub.... it works really bad... My txt msg are no longer in the hub.. neither are my facebook notification.... if I try to restart the phone.. the hub takes 15 minutes juste to load........ I guess its related with being unable to make my updates because I dont have enough space on the memory?

Contributor

it was more about expressing about how fed up I am with my phone than swearing at you!
Guru II

You found no files or you didn't find that file? 

If you bought the device new it would have come with a cable. 

Ah, so you have some other issues you didn't mention.  Here's what I recommend (when you can find the cable.)

Wipe the device

To perform a Security Wipe please follow the instructions below. Be sure and use BB Link to make a full backup before proceeding with the wipe.  The size of each module of the backup file can be a clue as to where the data is hiding (usually application data):

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33591

Once the wipe is complete I recommend updating the OS to the latest available.  Lots of bug fixes are incorporated in this latest version:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-10-OS-Device-Software/Upgrading-BB10-OS-Using-Sach...

Try not to restore your backup if you don't have to.  Start over from scratch.  If you have to, do each module of the restore separately (Settings, Media, Application Data) and see if you can determine which one of those has all the data.  It's usually App Data so don't restore that if you don't have to.