Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

Contributor
eiwar
My Device: Blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Digi

Weak Battery

[ Edited ]

The battery on this phone is really weak, I don't know if what I bought is faulty or this is really how far it can go. It can't even last for 8 hours with minor data usage. You go home from work and plug the phone to charge, wake up the next day with 75% battery life on your way to work you get 65% at 9am your down by 50% by the time your lunch ends its on 20% before your shift ends at 4:00, its dead. Take note: I'm done charging by 11pm send a few messages in whatsap and leave it there. I wake up and badaw! 75% battery. great! and to think blackberry is used for emails most of the time and they pack this one with a weak battery and what's worse is the batteries can't be replace. you guyst better do something about this while it's not too late. Dissapointing.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kb08
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Weak Battery

This reply is from personal experience. Faced more or less a similar issue with battery life, to begin with. I'd suggest you do a quick fact check:

1. You are on 3G or 2G?

2. Connected to WiFi?

3. Any background programs?

4. Average talk time in a day?

3G (on any phone) saps the battery!! The least you can do is change you Network Mode to "3G&2G". This should give you some relief. I was getting a average 20 hrs (10% residual battery) on a 3G network, with WiFi on 60% of these 22 hrs. Now, I have switched to 2G only as my Network Mode and use WiFi whenever I need juice for heavy downloads. The battery drain pattern tells me I should manage between 24-30 hrs, depending on my talktime during this period. Shall confirm this tomorrow....In the meanwhile, do try out these small changes and see if it/they help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Diwaker33
My Device: BB - Q5
My Carrier: Vodafone - INDIA

Hi, Same is the case here, it's battery life is to low, infact it's doesn't even gets charged fully, atleast the icon doesn't show that.

Can some one please help.

Thanks.

Thanks,
DG
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eiwar
My Device: Blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Digi

Thanks for your response, i've tried those out. and nah, didn't work for me. Good for you, you even reach 20 hrs on 3G. I don't even get close to 10 hours. The Luckiest I get is 8 hrs.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kb08
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi eiwar! As a quick update, I'm already 24 hours since my last charge and still have 30% battery life. My initial estimate of 24 to 30 hrs was spot on!

Now, coming to your problem, why don't you once allow the battery to drain completely and then charge your handset for a straight 8 hours?! However, to reiterate, 3G coupled with heavy browsing (and moderate talk time) can be what's causing your woes ! For a day, why don't you select network preference to 2G and see. It'll help give you an idea about the kind of battery life you can get out of the Q5. I'd be happy to hear from you again.

All the best!
Please use plain text.
emile_b
My Device: q5
My Carrier: Proximus

Same for me... on less than 7 hours without any call (no wifi !) my battery was down to 9%

Please use plain text.