Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
robynw
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

3 issues - Blackberry Storm 2 freezing and clock keeps coming up and Java Lang error

Device info

Your carrier: Verizon

Model info and OS version (go to settings, options, about): Storm 9550 v 5.0.0.1015(Bundle 1656 Platform 4.2.0.442)

Apps and free space

File free before and after a battery remove/replace. (settings, options, status):72702464 free

Did a battery pull fix your issue? NOT at all - not all 15 times I tried

Apps installed and their version if possible. (settings, options, applications): Facebook, Twitter, Bing, Groupon, OnPoint, Sudoku, Tagreader BB, VZ Navigator, Vzw Tunes, Webex Meeting center and WhatsApp

First MAJOR issue - device will shut down. Take out battery - put back in wait 10 minutes. When back up - if you go to messages or phone - phone freezes. Only resolution take out battery and wait 10 minutes to reboot. Can go to menu key and choose another folder. Then choose a folder to delete. Issue - then you have to reboot again. It doesn't always delete application. I have tried this in case there is an error in an app but they won't let me delete them. This has left me without a phone for HOURS when I am working unacceptable.

Second issue - whenever phone does a major restart - Error: java.lang. Again maybe be an app but I can't delete them.

Third issue - over the last two days - the little clock starts running - then 10 minutes or so again. Try to change mass storage option to off. Hasn't helped.

Other issues - If I miss 2 calls or more - phone resets.

Battery has been draining rapidly with these issues and the clocky thingy. It is going dead within 3 hours with NO talking a very little usage.

OK you asked for details there you go.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: 3 issues - Blackberry Storm 2 freezing and clock keeps coming up and Java Lang error

Have you tried wiping the device of its data to see if its a data corruption problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
robynw

Re: 3 issues - Blackberry Storm 2 freezing and clock keeps coming up and Java Lang error

Then I lose all my BBM contacts and I might as well get a new phone and to be honest Blackberry doesn't have one out right now that is competetive and although I don't want to switch... Reloading all my data - makes a new phone more attractive.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I feel your pain, though I would recommend the 9850 that Verizon does have out.  It's a HUGE improvement on the Storm 2.  I would switch to it myself but T-Mobile doesn't offer it.  So, I'm waiting on BB10 myself. 

That being said, you can make a backup of your device before wiping the data.  That way you don't lose all your contacts, etc.  I would recommend making the backup, wiping the device and seeing how the device responds with no data on it.  If it solves the problems then simply add back the databases that you really need from the backup file. 

If it doesn't solve the problem then a reload of the OS may be the next step before restoring the backup file.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
robynw

Thanks John. I have already backed up all my contacts (and everything else possible) as a precaution should my phone die- unfortunately this doesn't include BBM contacts - you cant back them up (that I know of) and since many of my friends are overseas....  there are a few. I really don't want to switch to a BB that does NOT have OS10 but if I keep holding my breathe my phone may die :-) And like for many people that phone contains my life, and my work. I was eager for the Milan but that is now dead.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

BBM contacts should backup.  However, to be safe I always make a manual backup of BBM contacts within the BBM application.  You can backup to a the cloud or you can backup to a media card.  If BBM contacts don't restore during the regular restore process you can restore them from the BBM app itself.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
robynw

Thanks for the BBM hints.

Please use plain text.