Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

amf
Contributor
amf
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Smart Communication (Phils)
Accepted Solution

9550 - Can't load OS and looping re-boots

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this is going to be a long post.

I have been running OS 428 and a hybrid (428 based) since it was leaked w/o any hitch. About 2 weeks ago, my 9550 re-booted on its own with a JVM ERROR 534 (I think that's the code because the screen just turned white with the error message and then re-booted on its own). It never booted properly then. The boot process goes up to about 3/4 of the way then the JVM error pops up again then re-boot. A batt pull doesn't help.

I wiped and loaded the OS (loader.exe) but when the cods are loading, it will re-boot again (the reboot happens when the email.cod is being loaded). Tried it several times and it never loaded properly. I tried a straight OS 428 load and it went well. When properly booted, I wiped the device and loaded the hybrid I was using previously and all was fine. When the 451 leaked out, I upgraded and all's fine--- for a week!

It just rebooted on its own again. I think with the same JVM error code! I am unable to load the OS using loader.exe. I even tried the "loader.exe /nojvm" switch to no avail. I wiped with BBSAK and Jl_cmdr, still no go. I then used BB DM. I loaded OS 320 and it loaded fine. I then wiped and loaded OS. It would either not load or when it loads properly, the JVM error pops up again 3/4 of the way in the boot process.

So when I load OS 320, it will load fine even after a battery pull. If I use OS 428 or 451 (both shrunk via Shrink-A-OS), JVM error pops up either when using the device or during the boot process. Please remember that previously I was using either straight (shrunk) 428 or 451 and a hybrid w/o any problem.

I decided to try an unshrunk OS 451 and used the "Platform.alx" file from OS 320. It works so far! Pulled the battery about 4-5 times already and loaded all my apps and no JVM error for about 2 days. I tried straight OS 320 and it will also re-boot on its own several times a day.

It looks like completely wiping the device using BBSAK, Jl_cmdr and BB DM does not really completely wipe out the device.

What could have caused the re-boots and JVM error???

EDIT: I tried wiping the device using the wipe option in Security options. The status bar reached 100% and when the device rebooted, the JVM error pops up again and my 9550 goes to a continuous reboot process again (even pulled the battery).

EDIT: I tried the command line "javaloade.exe -usb wipe" to wipe the device and the OS loaded (using loader.exe /nojvm) fine. At the end, loaders says "updated successfully". The device rebooted and about 3/4 of the way--- another jvm error! I removed the battery and waited a few minutes before re-inserting and it's currently booting now..... Will update what happens next.....

EDIT: Yes! It booted finally. Will try another battery pull...... 1/4 of the way in the boot process-- another JVM error! Pulled the battery and rebooting.... JVM error again about 50% in the boot process..

EDIT: Can't get any OS to load again using "loader.exe" or "loader.exe /nojvm". It stops while loading email.cod and then reboots. I was able to load OS 320 though via BB DM. Problem is when I click Options, error occurs: "Error starting net_rimm_bb_options_app: Symbol KeywordFilteredScreen. KeyChar' not found" Is my device hosed??? PLEASE HELP. Thanks!

EDIT: I tried loading the OS by:

-removing the battery.

-Connect to PC.

-Command prompt: loader.exe /nojvm command

-When it says connecting to device and the Battery icon with a red "X" appears, I re-insert the battery.

-The OS loads fine but can't get to boot properly as 3/4 of the boot progress bar, a JVM error occurs and then reboot again. HELP!

-->Was able to boot properly after a second un-forced reboot. Will try a battery pull.... JVM error again... Will allow it to boot on its own w/o a battery pull....  JVM error... Removed the battery, re-insert.... JVM error... allowed to boot on its own... JVM error!... I Will remove the battery and re-insert after 5 minutes... Still JVM error... What's with this endless reboots?!?

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

Re: 9550 - Can't load OS and looping re-boots

Can anyone help please...

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

[ Edited ]

I have tried loading the OS on 3 different PCs and 2 of which I used before without any problems. Also  I tried both DM versions 4.7 and 5.1 with the same results.

Just now, the OS loaded fine but when it booted an exception error occurred after the VZW screen. If it fails to boot properly, JVM error 534 appears. What could be causing this?

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

I DL'd DM 4.6. Used DM Apploader to load the OS (451). It loaded and booted fine (checked event log and there were no errors). Pulled battery and error 534 again. Tried to boot more than 5 times and got the same error.

Then tried "loader /nojvm" switch. OS loaded fine but won't boot with an error 534 again. Is my Strm2 bricked???

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

I was able to load and boot OS 320, 428 and 451 via DM 4.6 but after each battery pull, the error 534 pops up and I have to reload the OS again. Anyone have any clue about this problem???

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

Just had my 9550's motherboard replaced and all's fine!!!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
class1dave
My Device: Storm

Sounds like you just bricked your phone! If you using the mac desktop manager its almost a certainty!

Send your phone in for repair and that should get it working again!

Please use plain text.
amf
Contributor
amf

Can you please explain why using the Mac DM would brick a BB?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
class1dave
My Device: Storm

The mac desktop software bricked my phone and the only way to fix it was to send it in for repair.

The following issues I encountered...

Sync issues-temporarily resolved by reinstalling the OS

Contacts: after syncing my entire contact list consisted on one entry repeated over and over again.

Calendars: double entries after syncing which tells me that the desktop manager is writing the wrong info in the wrong places. Then sync errors after that... being unable to sync until the phone OS is reinstalled.

Viewing the forums and finding lots of people have sync issues and various means to fix them.

Viewing the known bugs KB##### etc. The desktop manager can delete entries off the mac address book without any warning. The desktop manager should not be able to escalate its authority to damage data on the mac. Mac software is designed to prevent security issues however, for some reason, the desktop manager finds ways to destroy data on the mac and/or erase it from the address book. This is a known issue, RIM does not know when it will be fixed. Checking for known issues with the desktop manager almost always ends in RIM does not know when a fix will be available.

This means that either RIM has no clue on how to fix the issue, or they are unwilling to devote enough resources to fixing the problems any time soon.

UVM 507 error... tried reinstalling the phone OS via pc. Couldn't update. Tried updating to an older version via pc with same failure. Tried installing OS via mac and at least the mac found the phone and seemed to go through the steps installing the software but the phone refused to boot and continually encountered UVM 507 error while booting... the phone would not turn off... it just locks up. Remove battery and it hangs with the error when turned on.

Called tech support and they said if the phone is getting a UVM507 error (you really need a magnifying glass to see it...I'm not kidding!) then the phone has to be sent in for repair.

When using the mac desktop manager I was reinstalling the phone OS two or three times a month. I even had it crash so bad that I couldn't even dial out on the phone. I talked to Bell and their tech support. Eventually, they said to never use the mac desktop software and never to use my mac to sync data. After following their advice with one exception (I still sync media), I have never had to reinstall the OS. I've never had it crash so bad that the phone quit working... yes... the storm is slow and hangs now and then when its busy... sometimes forcing me to turn it off. The only thing I sync with my storm are the media files. Any data syncing I have turned off and refuse to use it anymore.

From my experience with the desktop manager, sync errors are caused by the software and seeing that the software is destroying data on the mac, writing garbage in address book contacts on the phone, destroying the phone OS so that it can't even reinstall the OS, its not much of a reach to ask that if the software writes garbage and deletes whatever it wants, perhaps it is also overwriting the phone OS wherever it wants which would cause sync problems and the inability to reinstall the phone OS.

Since I have quit syncing any data from my mac to the Storm via the desktop manager I have never had to reinstall the phone OS. I have never been refused the right to alter contact data on my phone (which is the case if you sync via the desktop manager), I have never had contact data deleted on my mac. I have never had to reinstall the OS on the phone. I have never had problems with duplicate calendar entries on my phone.

For people who continue to sync data via the mac desktop software, at least be aware that you are using a time bomb. One day you may end up bricking your phone and have to send it in for repair.

The mac desktop manager includes the media sync which used to be downloadable as a stand alone product but has since been mixed in with this dangerous data sync service from RIM. If you turn off all data sync services via options on the mac desktop manager, you should be fine.

You can email contact cards (.vcf) to your BB and have it add the contact to your BB address book without fear of bricking your phone. I have yet to find a way to do the same for calendar contacts but perhaps someone has found a way to do it.

Please use plain text.
robbieh
My Device: Not Specified

hi amf,

can you tell me where you had the mainboard replaced?

Thanks

Please use plain text.