Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
lostinfaith
My Device: Not Specified

AKO imap set up

Due to the new settings, I cannot access my AKO.

how do I enter the required military settings into to the blackberry to utilize this.  I am using the black berry storm.

The app request the "email server"

does not state if it is outgoing or incoming.  or a place to enter the ssl or port.

Thank You

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: AKO imap set up

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

To configure, you might need to know all of the server settings in order to configure -- BIS can detect some settings for some services, but not all. If, after entering your email address and allowing BIS to make the attempt, then if it fails, you have to enter the settings manually. Which means obtaining the settings from whoever controls that email system. If the device interface is not successful, you can try the web interface from a PC.

Find your carriers BIS logon site here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F

And then use these instructions to configure the account manually:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10154

Good luck!

OH -- one more thing...this will be moved to the Storm forum so that it's properly filed:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=9500

This is the 8300 forum...

Message Edited by sdgardne on 07-13-2009 09:23 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
lostinfaith

I do have these settings but due to recent military regulations they have blocked email through the blackberry due to the password be stored with a 3rd party.  I am attempting to configure manually as to keep the email local and password local. I haev verizon.  And I am attempting to configure through their site.  But their is no place for the proper ports or enabling ssl.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Ahhh...now I understand. No can do...the built-in POP/IMAP service for BB's is BIS, and it functions by storing your password for your email accounts. What it does is reduce OTA transmissions -- BIS checks your email servers and, if there's nothing there, it generates no traffic to your BB...saving you consumption on your data plan (and saving your carriers network from transporting what, in this configuration, would be useless data packets). With BIS, this is the way it works -- no choice.

So, if that is forbidden by your email service provider, then you need something other than BIS to handle your OTA email. I have a distinct recollection of this being asked in the past and a potential solution being posted...but I'll have to dig around. Stand by...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
lostinfaith

I did find some software that was cretaed for this purpose, but to be honest it does not function well on the storm, it functions better on non touchscreen os's
s005jjf

I have the same issues. What software did you find that works? Thanks.

CampPA

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  Microsoft Outlook Mobile supports IMAP but does not appear to be a compatible software with Blackberry devices.  The other two I've come across are LogicMail and Tiggit Mail.  However, I've been unable to obtain any real previews of the software.  I realize Blackberry devices were originally designed for the corporate world but the Storm is a direct competition to the IPHONE and this is a very big downfall to the device.