Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Visitor
My Device: Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

BB Storm 9530 -- SIM card to use it in Ireland

Hi, I have a Storm 9530 largely unused for several years. I got it from Verizon.  Can I take it to Ireland and get a SIM card there to use it as a cell-phone only to make calls to Ireland and to receive calls from Ireland and the US, also?  (I'll be taking an iPhone, using for WiFi only.)  Do I have to clear this with Verizon?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BB Storm 9530 -- SIM card to use it in Ireland

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are several factors to consider...since you are intending to use a local SIM, then international roaming does not apply (in other words, you don't need VZW's "permission").

First off, your device must be unlocked from VZW so that it can function on any other carrier at all...refer:

Second, you must be sure that the radio technologies and frequencies that your device supports are compatible with whatever other carrier networks you wish to use it on operate with. You can research your device capabilities here:

But you will have to search the Internet regarding what the carriers available in the places you are going to operate with.

Since you intend only voice-level services, there is no issue with any BB-proprietary service requirements...that would introduce an entirely separate level of complexity, but would pre-require satisfaction of the above two items anyway.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code