Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9530

Background Activity icon

Does anyone here know how to tell what background activity is happening when the small black loading icon appears in the middle of the screen?  I'm having an issue where it will stay there for almost 5 minutes and won't let me do anything.  I've had it happen when I get a txt message or email and then I have to wait forever before I can check my message.  I think it might have something to do with Google Sync, but I'm not completely sure.  Anyone else having this problem??
---------------------------------
“If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. Unless you’re a unicorn, because there’s always someone who believes in unicorns.” - Dan (Shoebox Blog)
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Background Activity icon

By default 5 application run all the time in any BlackBerry device. These are Message, BlackBerry Messenger, Call Log, Browser and Home Screen applications. If other apps are running then you can close them at any given time. But those 5 can't be stopped.

You can view which apps are running by holding Alt button + Escape button.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Contributor

I understand all of that and I always keep my icons down to the least amount.  Sometimes I have Pandora running and I also always have Google Maps turned on for Google Lattitude.  I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the icon for as long as I do.
“If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. Unless you’re a unicorn, because there’s always someone who believes in unicorns.” - Dan (Shoebox Blog)
Solutions: 6,111
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

For the Application Switcher, just press and hold the Menu key a couple of seconds. There is no ALT key to press on the Storm, that works on other models.

Google sync could very well be your culprit.

Do you have Memory Cleaner enabled? Options > Security > Memory Cleaning?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Yes I have Memory Cleaner enabled, but it doesn't seem to really do anything.  I just checked the Free Memory for my Applications and it's at 0.0KB.  I did a battery pull a few days ago and since then it looks like the phone has just drained the memory and neither QuickPull nor Memory Cleaner seem to free it up.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ejwaibel wrote:

Yes I have Memory Cleaner enabled, but it doesn't seem to really do anything.  I just checked the Free Memory for my Applications and it's at 0.0KB.  I did a battery pull a few days ago and since then it looks like the phone has just drained the memory and neither QuickPull nor Memory Cleaner seem to free it up.

FYI...Memory Cleaner does nothing to free up more App Memory. See this article to see what it does do:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03862&slic...

Best advice -- turn Memory Cleaner off. Do a batt-pop reboot (with power on, remove the battery, wait a minute, insert battery and power up).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Solutions: 6,111
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Well, QuickPull sure won't "free" it up.. it only allows you to simulate a battery pull.

First off, now, disable Memory Cleaner. It is your problem, along with the file free at 0.

Memory Cleaner runs in the background when the device is idle... doing just what you described. And it does NOT free any additional memory, it only wipes the already free memory space a higher and more secure government standard. Good for the FBI, CIA and corporations that require it, but not useful at all for the consumer user that doesn't have national secrets stored on their BlackBerry.

Message Edited by JSanders on 07-01-2009 12:09 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates