Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Regular Contributor
mweed212
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

Backing Up 3rd Party Apps

Hello,

I tried searching this...maybe I didn't put in the right string of words...How does one go about backing up 3rd party apps. I have gotten that Error 523 or whatever it is...where I basically have to reinstall everything on my phone. I can usually pull the email/contacts/messages backup off my computer but I don't know how to specifically back up my 3rd party apps. 

Also, since I am asking anyway...is there anyway to wipe my phone completely using desktop manager? I have heard people say they use JL commander or whatever...I'm unfamiliar with that program and was wondering if there was a way through DM before I search out another program. 

I appreciate the help in advance. :smileyhappy:

Pictures of Mars totally make up for a lack of affordable health care!
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Backing Up 3rd Party Apps

[ Edited ]

Here's a really good link that provides step by step instructions on how to back up 3rd party apps (note that you will still need to input your licenses after for those that require licenses): http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-back-up-3rd-party-applications-53201/

If you simply want to reinstall the OS that you had on your phone, JL_CMDER is the easiest method (otherwise you have to downgrade first, then upgrade again).  To make it as easy as possible, all you need to do is download the non-installer version of JL_CMDER (it's a zip file, can be easily extracted in Windows).  Run JL_CMDER and select option 4 to wipe the phone.  Follow the remaining steps and your OS will be wiped (your phone will have error 507 on it once it's been completed successfully).  

You can then reinstall the OS using the desktop manager or via the Loader.exe file found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

This is the easiest way to simply reload the same OS.  But if you don't want to do this, and if you're able to find a file to downgrade to (e.g. 4.7.0.65), you can do the downgrade first and follow it by the upgrade again.

I hope that makes sense but let me know if you need help with any of it.  I'll be on the forums for about the next 45 minutes or so.

Message Edited by Krypto on 04-26-2009 11:17 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mweed212

Thanks for the info...

Where do I find this JL_CMDER program?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mweed212

HAHAHAHAHA...guess I could have read further down in the link!

So do I want just JL_CMDER or do I want the installer for it as well?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,848
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Here is another method to backup your third party apps...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/91912-how-backup-restore-all-installed-3rd-party-apps.h...

For JLCmder, it is here, from the original writer of the app: 

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/18789-jl_cmder.html

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mweed212

Dumb question...what happens when I use JL_CMDER? Does it leave my device without an OS? does it auto downgrade to .75? Can I just use apploader to reload software? I feel like I am missing a step?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

As I described above, it removes the OS from your phone - you'll then need to use the apploader after to reload .75 back on your phone.

The benefit by doing this as I mentioned above is that you don't have to downgrade and then upgrade again which takes more work and can sometimes have other issues.  :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,848
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Actually, JL_Cmdr has the function to "reset to factory" should you want to use that. That will not remove an OS  (but it won't downgrade the OS either) but it simply removes personal data, etc., without having to use the wipe in the security options.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JaneDaly
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Apologies if this is answered somewhere in the forum- I could not find it so please direct me if I'm mistaken-thank you!

I cannot figure out how to back up my 3rd party apps on my desktop software for Mac. I need to do a re & re with my software as my device is freezing constantly but  do not want to have to re-install my apps. I am sure there is a way to do this but cannot figure it out. 

Thank you in advance!

Using a Torch and Mac OS 10.6

follow me on Twitter
@see_jane_Sell
Please use plain text.
terigee
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Why isnt the fact that you can't back up 3rd party apps mentioned when you first get your BB.  I religiously backed up my Bold 9700 for 2 years only to find that my text messages, which used a 3rd party app, were not backed up and I can't retrieve them for my Torch 9810.  This is extremely upsetting since I bought a new BB under the assumption that i wouldn't lose my texts, which were the most important things on my phone.  I can get the contacts, the emails are on my computer, but my texts are inaccessible and that really angers me.

Please use plain text.