Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
hockeyfan427
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Backup Fails using DM. Unknown Error

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.  I've spent about 4 hours so far, Googling and reading every fourm known to man looking for a solution.  Here's my situation.  I have a VZW Storm, and wnat to upgrade to the .75 OS.  I've been trying to backup my device first using Desktop Manager, but it fails every time.  It's confusing becuase it fails at different points, but always with "Unknown Error" (very descriptive, huh?).  Anyway, I have tried everything from battery pulls, clearing cache, reinstalling DM, disabling all FW/AV software, disabling UAC, and every combonation thereof.  Still same descriptive error.  Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have a solution?  Here is my system config:

VZW 9530 Storm .65 OS

DM  ver. 4.7.0.32

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (SP1)

HP Pavilion dv6000 AMD Turion 64 x2 processor, 4 GB RAM

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
nayrons

Re: Backup Fails using DM. Unknown Error

Unfortunately, I too am having the same problem with my VZW Storm.  "Unknown Error"  I am running DM on an HP Pavilion desktop running Windows XP SP3, for what's it worth.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hockeyfan427

Well, I tried backing up each DB one at a time and discovered the problem was with the Location Based Services.  I decided it was worth the risk, and updated to .75.  After the update, and restoring my other DBs, everything works fine, including the full backup.
Please use plain text.
Techmom

I am not 100% sure, but I thought I read somewhere about the software being supported for the 32 bit Vista.  I may be incorrect, but I thought it might be a path to look up. 
Please use plain text.
nayrons

That's good news.  How do you select what to backup?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hockeyfan427

In DM, select "Backup and Restore", then on the right of the screen, choose "Advanced".  You can then choose each DB on at a time from the right to backup.  Be sure to save the file when you are all done.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
brachele
My Device: Blackberry Storm

I too had this problem (running OS .75), but I just discovered that if I clear the browser cache (all options) the whole backup works fine.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
billvo

That did it! I have spent hours on technical support calls with Verizon including wiping the phone, then I was passed on to Blackberry technical support, and we re-installed the operating system. The problem returned after some use including using the browser. Blackberry threw up their hands, and Verizon is in the process of sending me a new phone. But after reading this post, I cleared the browser cache, and the backup works again.
Please use plain text.
mikewells

FYI everybody who thinks they found a solution to the constantly (and I mean constant) failing backups.  Sure you will find it works after you found that "fix" but eventually the failing back-ups will come back and sooner than you think.

The problem lies in your browser cache.  That's the short answer.  I don't know why but whenever a failure happens during backups all I need to do to rectify the situation is to clear my browser cache and Bob's your Uncle.  Just go to Backup/Restore in your DTM and click advance.  Go to your browser cache and click "clear".   Go back to the last page and back up. 

RIM needs to find a fix for this ASAP.  It's a problem for late gen Blackberrys - not exclusive to the Storm (GSM or CDMA)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
billvo

Yep, works every time. Just go to the browser, BlackBerry key and select Options, click Cache Operations, then clear History, Content Cache, Pushed Content and Cookie Cache. I don't know which one--or combinations of them -- that causes the backup problem. All I know is I clear all these, and I've never had a Backup problem since then.
Please use plain text.