Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
ulmi1988

Battery discharges over night? (Alarmclock?)

Hey Everyone,
Every night I set up the alarm clock on my BB Strom.
Sometimes I leave it on, sometimes I switch it off.

For the 3 time the Storms battery was completely flat on the next morning. 
This morning (after I slept for 5h) the alarm did not went off and I just looked a white screen saying:

App Error
-Reset-

If you press this button you initiate a soft reset and after ages of rebooting the phone tells you: Battery very low.

How is that possible that a sucks in 50% of battery in less than 5h even though it was switched off?

Firmware: 4.7.0.78 
Alarmsound: BBGrooves_ something bla bla
Battery at least: 55%
All applications where closed as far as possible (z.B. Youtube)
Very good 3G/2G connection over night

Thank you very much
Ulmi

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rredfox

Re: Battery discharges over night? (Alarmclock?)

This is not unexpected.

If you're going to leave the phone on overnight, it probably ought to be connected to a charger (this gets it fully charged also).  If you're using it as a bedside clock, the backlight is on (dimly, but on), so it will discharge the battery.

If this has helped, please click on the "Kudos" button... Thanks! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ulmi1988

For that answer you should loose a kudos...
If they design a function to save battery life it is not the idea to connect it to a charger, is it?
Apart from that, the phone was switched off completely therefore no energy consumption at all!
But thanks for trying. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rredfox

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the alarm clock can't work if the Storm is off.

You can turn the radio off and save battery, but in the "bedside mode" (the way many use the alarm clock) the backlight stays on.  It isn't meant as a 'battery saver' it's a convenience designed to provide something akin to a travel clock.

When I use this mode, I do it with the charger plugged in and get a freshly charged battery every morning when the alarm wakes me up.

Perhaps I mis-understood your questions... 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lancent

All applications where closed as far as possible (z.B. Youtube)
Very good 3G/2G connection over night

This does NOT sound like the phone was turned off.   If you had very good 3G/2G connection, it doesn't even sound like you were in bedside mode.  

Your phone was ON and by having  the bedside clock on you're actually increasing the power consumption.  As rredfox tried to point out, this is probably the time you should be recharging the phone. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rredfox

Thanks for backing me up Lancent!

That is what I was trying to say, but guess I didn't make it clear. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
metturr

[ Edited ]

Since the day I got the Storm, I used to plug the charger during night (so that I have a fully charged battery for the next day) and turn on my alarm...it was fine. But, yesterday I checked this message and gave it a try buy not pluggin in the Charger.....Ooops...App Error..Reset...No alarm...but strangely, after the reset, the battery was the same as it was last nite....it didn;t even drain off completely.....Any one with similar issue?

Message Edited by metturr on 01-05-2009 07:50 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kidboy

You guys don't worry about overcharging the battery??
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
metturr

Does that really affect? I used to do the same thing on my prev Moto RAZR...I had a good battery than  my frnds'.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Jamieinnh

It's not possible with this type of battery I don't believe.

I charge mine every night whether is needs it or not.   My Storm use to barely get through 8 hours of use, now I can go about 20 hours of use before a charge is needed.  

Charging the battery every night is just like brushing my teeth..  It has to be done!   :smileyhappy:

Jamie

********************************************************************************************************
In order to help the next person with the same problem, please mark the post that solved your problem if was solved.

If I or another user have successfully helped you with an issue, please click "kudos" in their post to thank them.
Please use plain text.