Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
Kerry2112
My Device: PlayBook 64GB

Benefits of reloading device software (or, how I got rid of the blank screen problem)

Hi. Just thought I would share something that happened to me this past weekend. I have owned my Storm 9530 since July 2010 and have been, on the whole, quite happy with it. Over time, I had noticed my available memory gradually going down. It happened so slowly that I really didn't notice it as an issue - I put it down to my apps (I don't have a lot, but tend to install them to try them and then often uninstall them.) I use QuickPull to do a battery pull every morning at 6am and have never had problems with freezing, etc.

However, over the past couple of weeks, I have seen my available memory go down to only 10-12mb and, when I added up all my apps, it didn't seem to account for the memory used. This seemed a bit mysterious but, again, I had no problems using the device.

Then, yesterday, my screen started to not recover from being off when holstered. It would stay blank (though the buttons were lit) when taken out of the holster. Battery pulls and deleting some apps did not help and it was very difficult to get the screen back on. I would have to turn the device off (using the hang-up button) and back on again to get it to recover.

I decided to try reloading the device software, so I did a backup and used the desktop software to reload the OS. Wow. When it finished and I reloaded the apps I have deleted to try to fix the blank screen problem earlier, I had 29mb free, up from 10-12mb earlier. And the blank screen problem was cured.

Lesson learned: when available memory seems unaccountably low, an OS reload is a good solution. It's a bit of a drag, as you have to go through some of the same set-up issues as when you first got the device (but you DON'T have to re-set-up your email!), but the pay-off is well worth it.

Happy bb'ing, all!