Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Administrator (Retired)
Beholder
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones do not 'wake up' from display dimming after upgrading to BlackBerry Device Software version 5.0

[ Edited ]

Overview

When the display of a BlackBerry Storm Series smartphone dims it will stay dimmed even when the SurePress™ keyboard is used to try and 'wake' it.

For more information see knowledge base article

BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones do not 'wake up' from display dimming after upgrading to Bl...

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Terrah75
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones do not 'wake up' from display dimming after upgrading t

[ Edited ]

I tried this and every other suggestion that I could find to try to fix this and it still won't wake unless I do a battery pull and reboot.  The other thing that's happening now is that I have a new message indicator that just keeps counting each time I get a message even though I have read and deleted it already.

I did a wipe and downgraded back to the previous version and the not waking up problem went away, however not the message indicator problem. I also tried sending service books and register now in the host routing tables, but the message indicator problem is still there.

I would really like to be able to use 5.0 because it's so much faster and not laggy at all. This is the 3rd Storm that I have gotten since I got the phone in December 2008 due to issues with the phone.  It's getting irritating!!!

Any ideas or thoughts?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentm

Re: BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones do not 'wake up' from display dimming after upgrading t

Yes, this needs to be fixed!!!!  It only makes my BB good for about 2 minutes before the screen goes dim and ceases to be a feature-rich phone.  I also have to pull the batttery and messages marked as read are now unread (again).

I can't believe 5.0 was pushed out by VZW given this issue.  It's extremely frustrating to deal with and makes the phone worthless after it dims.  The fix in the kb article doens't work.  Battery pull is the only way to get a screen again.  The only real fix is to revert back to 4.7.

-Brent

Please use plain text.
chamuda

I also tried the "work around" offered with no success.  I ended up having to do a wipe and downgrade to the previous version as well.  This is INCREDIBLY frustrating.  I also cannot understand why VZW did the push given this serious problem.  This upgrade makes the phone completely inoperable after a minute, when the screen dims.  There's no reason a pull should have to be done every 2 minutes.  Absurd!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentm

Yes, this is completely unacceptable.  I did a wipe of my device prior to loading 5 and now I'm unable to revert back to 4.7.

This is just a joke.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an iPhone today.  I've resisted and held out (and hoped) long enough.  And then Verizon/Blackberry pull this little stunt.  Luckily, my contract with Verizon is up so this shouldn't be a problem.

RIM, if you're listening, take some notes.  Don't release software that makes a phone unusable.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Terrah75

I just spend almost 3 1/2 hours between Verizon & RIM Tech Support.  Basically, what RIM finally said was that if the work around is not working then I'd have to rollback and wait for a fix.  After having me reload the software again (even after I told them I had done it 3 times each different way) they hung up with me without even waiting to see if it was fixed or not.  They did give me a case number though so that I could call back if I was still having problems.  I called back and got a different tech support person, a woman this time, she was very nice and much more helpful than the first guy, but she said that it's a known problem but there's is no ETA on when the fix would be available.  Basically that I was SOL. Either I could revert back to the 4.7 software that worked or do a battery pull everytime I needed to use my phone.

So, I called back to Verizon and told the tech support guy that I had been on the phone with RIM support for over an hour trying to resolve the issue and they said there was no fix at this time.  So Verizon rep said because I pay for the insurance even though my warranty is over he can order me a replacement phone shipped with v 5.0.0.328 pre-loaded on the phone.  I will have it in 3-4 days.

So your best bet is to call Verizon if you pay for the insurance, if not you will have to wait till there's a fix.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentm

I guess that's one way to get the upgrade.  I loaded it three different ways (actually 5 tries in all), and all exhibit the same symptom as described.  I tried with loader.exe /nojvm, web, and desktop manager.  I even loaded up bbscreenstream and loaded various apps to see if I could get the screen to refresh/reinitialize.  No luck. 

I manage several of these phones at work connected to our BES and my users have been anxiously awaiting this update.  I will tell them about the experience and will not be attempting this update until it's fixed. 

Cool that you're getting a new phone with the new OS.  I guess if I had another day to burn on this, I could go that route too.  I might give my VZW business support rep a call tomorrow and see if I can bypass some of the troubleshooting formalities and get this phone replaced.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)

brentm wrote:

I can't believe 5.0 was pushed out by VZW given this issue.

Not singling you out, but your's is the first post in this thread to make this point. 

I just wanted to point out that just a few short weeks ago, OS5.0 was out and about on the internet and people were railing on VZW for *not* qualifying this OS.  The reason that VZW was holding on it was because it supposedly didn't meet their technical standards.  I don't have any specific examples of this proof off-hand, but I do remember reading that about two weeks prior to the update being blessed by VZW. 

My advice would be to Backup via DM, wipe the device, and then install fresh from DM.  I installed via DM the day it was released (last Sunday) and have had zero problems at all, much less the screen dim issue you all are talking about.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentm

Well, I was one of the ones who waited patiently.

Thanks for the tips.  I did all that you mentioned and even used JL Commander to wipe the **bleep** thing and then reloaded.  It's just borked.  I have a few more of these phones on the shelf I may try on Monday.  Or I may call Verizon. 

Regardless, it's a known issue.  Turning the screen on and off seems to be on a lower level within the OS.  Who's to blame?  Ultimately, RIM in my view... they control the majority of the hardware and the software, right?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentm

Just an update on my particular situation.  I stopped by my office and picked up a spare 9530 and the upgrade seems to work fine on it with regards to the screen dim issue.

Mileage may vary on this one!

Please use plain text.