Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Administrator (Retired)
Beholder

BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

[ Edited ]

To ensure your BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone is delivering the power and performance it takes to drive your communications and multimedia desires, visit the BlackBerry Storm update page often for ongoing, innovative software developments designed to enhance the functionality and navigation of your device.

Step 1
Click the "Check for Updates" button.

Step 2
When prompted, select "Run" to install the drivers.

Step 3
When prompted, select "Run" to start the update process.

Please note: Until the update is complete, you will not be able to use your BlackBerry smartphone. Should you unplug or cancel the update process before completion, your smartphone may be unusable and you may need to restart the update process to regain use of your device.

Using this software and any updates or upgrades as provided by Research In Motion Limited or any of its affiliates ["RIM"] is subject to the BlackBerry Software License Agreement ["BBSLA"], unless otherwise stated. The BBSLA is available at http://www.blackberry.com/legal.

Message Edited by Beholder on 11-17-2008 03:55 PM

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
izzybb

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

Does this mean that anyone (ie consumers) can download updates/upgrades 'over-the-air' on the Blackberry Storm (verizon) ?  Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
Beholder

The upgrade requires a few items...

Here are the requirements to use the web based software upgrades (Please note that this method of software updates is not completed "Over the Air" and does require the device be connected to a computer meeting the below minimum specifications)

• BlackBerry smartphone (i.e. BlackBerry® Storm™ 9500 Series)
  • Computer must be running Windows® 2000 or later
  • Computer must have an available USB port
  • Computer must be running Windows® Internet Explorer® 6 or 7

Note: BlackBerry smartphones that are associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or with BlackBerry® Professional Software cannot perform web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades.

Reference:   KB16071 - Web-based BlackBerry Device Software Upgrades

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Please use plain text.
apiphobia

Will this update make the accelerometer faster?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JKaytheISH

What's the ETA on the next update cause these 9530s are the laggiest... crappiest things ever.

I'm going to return it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LAWMAN1234

An error has occured while connecting to the service, check your internet connection.  I can tell you my internet connection is working fine, and when i hit upgrade it goes through for about 20 seconds then I get the above message.  I left ATT today to join verizon and buy the storm.  My first impressions are not so good.  I am trying to get used to the tactile response push screen and so far I do not much care for it.  Landscape mode blows and you cant see the keys and I have small fingers.  The OS is slow and lags and the phone jams a lot.  It is beyond me how they can release this product in this condition.  I was excited now I am really disappointed.  I takes way to long to make a phone call, scrolling etc.  I have to say the IPHONE I had was much more intuitive and a better product.  RIM better release updates and upgrades to fix this OS.  None the less can someone explain why it wont let my phone update bsed on the above error I am recieveing.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JKaytheISH

i love the swift replies
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fezzar

All fine if you use a PC - What about the millions that only use a mac !!  no way of updating and repairing the numerous bugs in my storm as I only have Safari or Firefox ?  How am I going to do that......
Please use plain text.
mimesis18

Chiming in on the lack of Mac support. Tried installing Blackberry Desktop with Parallels 2.0 to no avail.  The Mac program on the blackberry site (PocketMac) is equally useless.  Anyone getting any luck getting these 2 great devices to communicate well?

David

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fezzar

Yup, pocketmac is totally useless.  Staggered that bb released the storm without thinking about mac users -

How on earth do RIM expect to compete with the iphone !   Really bad planning RIM.

Anyway, to sync, the only way forward is Mark/Space - Yup, it costs about $35 but it works well.

http://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html 

Please use plain text.