Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

mimesis18
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

Contributor
johnrobbfl

I'm running a new MacBook Pro with Parallels and have had "mostly" no problem syncing the Storm on the Windows side.  I say mostly because I was only able to sync my Outlook.  To sync media I had to do that on the Mac side.  It was pretty easy, although I had to search here to find out to go into Advanced Options and set the Miscro-SD to auto-mount (or something similar to that).  It showed up as 2 drives on my Mac desktop and I just copied the files over - it was very simple and no need for any 3rd party software. 

I have not been able to update the software on the phone from the Windows side - but i don't know if I can blame that on Parallels or not.

Regular Contributor
PC-ASSIST
My Device: Storm - 9530

So far, I am not at all satisfied with this phone.

I have the same problem updating it. FATAL ERROR. To the account definitely. If this is not fixed in another 29 days, back it goes for a refund.

(I am leaving Sprint at a huge cost due to their inability to provide signal in my area since about two months ago.)

I have gone through, in order since May '07: an open-box Treo 700 WX, one new Mogul, 8 refurbs that were just dried out and put back into the channel through the service group, one new Treo 800W that could not handle voice commands (necessary in California-Palm said they knew about the problem but were not planning on fixing it...), and back to a new Mogul. If the service here was not so bad (one bar on a good day...I guess they lost some towers...), I would stay with Sprint.

I figured that Verizon would be more up to snuff with a signal out here and I am correct...but this phone is just a beta release. I cannot explain the many bugs, the inability to navigate through text fields and screens, the images saved for wallpaper do not even show up correctly...blah, blah, blah...

The worst: it takes an average of SEVEN presses on the screen to get the snooze button to work, or in fact, any other button. There are sensitivity settings, but I cannot figure out which direction is better: higher or lower.

I think I am gonna go back to my Palm M515 and use a plain phone. Or a day runner. I have never seen so many companies putting out so much garbage (HTC/PALM/RIM) just to rush to market.

As a MAC user, I'll chime in and voice my displeasure at how MAC-unfriendly the BB Storm is. :smileysad: I can't sync any of my data and I can't even utilize this software upgrade to make the OS run faster on my phone. I seriously considered getting the iPhone but went with the Storm because I was able to get it for $100 with my current carrier (Verizon). If I had to pay more for this phone, I would've never gotten it. It's way too laggy and unresponsive. I sure hope that RIM decides to launch a software update that is PC AND MAC friendly.

By the way, for those MAC users who just want to be able to transfer media (music/photos), you can buy a USB multi-media card reader, to transfer your data from your MAC onto the media card and listen to music or view your photos. I got a reader at Target for $15. It sure beats downloading other syncing softwares for $40 or more.

New Contributor
drose00

Guys,

Try this. I have a 9530 and Macbook. I use a SD card reader for media (No syncing required). I use google apps found at m.google.com to download google sync onto my Storm, which syncs with my google calendar and contacts. I also have iCal set up to sync with my google cal, i can put an appt into my berry or onto my mac and it will sync automatically OTA. You can upload your address book to google also and sync with your berry at the same time as you sync the calendars. Google is awesome, makes apps for everything for free, and allows us verizon/apple/rim users to survive with only a little hiccup. try it and let me know what you think. also ive heard pulling the battery out for a few minutes and restarting helps with lagginess, deleting VZ nav and visual vmail also helps.

Regular Contributor
ricshome

I have Vista 64 and had no problem with the update. It went very smoothly and didn't take much time.
New Contributor
drose00

what was the update? new firmware version up from 4.7.0.65?
Regular Contributor
sanjivp99
My Device: Verizon BB Strm 9530

I just got my Storm on this Sat (Nov 22) and I tried your web update oping it will fix some of the things like the accelerometer issues, need for multiple clicks on snooze, etc., but I have now started to get Java exceprions periodically!!  One of the exceptions I was able to jot down -- "Uncaught exceptoin: java.lang.illegal state exception".  This happened while I was just in the optoins menu looking at some items.  Second time it happened while I was on the blue tooth headset (Motorola HS850) and I could not jot it down - but it said some "rim.bl....: exception.

HELP.  Should I so antoher update??  This was not there on Sat & Sun.  I did the udpate from your web link on Sun night.

Thx,

..sp

..sp
Thanks for clicking on KUDOS if this solved your problem!
New Contributor
donkeyblue

Can someone please tell me the latest Storm OS version, and also when the latest version will be released.
This phone is is SSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.
I hated to leave Sprint in the middle of my contract and have to pay an early termination fee for this!!
thanks
Contributor
saratoga808

I just went to Verizon, they checked and I have the latest update. Bottom line, its SLOW and needs a LOT more work! Its like dile- up on a cell phone!