Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

I'm laughing, too, because what else is there to do but cry?  Throw my Storm through a window??  Honestly, I never thought owning a "smart phone" would be as time-consuming and irritating as maintaining and updating a PC.  Maybe one of my problems is that early on (while researching devices), I was hooked into constantly reading the posts on the Crackberry forum (someone generously called it an "enthusiasts" forum)... and you'd think people spent 24/7 trying to squeeze one more extra millisecond of performance out of their devices!!  Maybe I'll stay away from those posts.

That said, I'm curious about this .75 OS update....and why this doesn't seem to be addressed here at all.  I think another cause for frustration is the "trifecta" of trying to take advice from (a) RIM, (b) Verizon, and (c) the user community.  For a relative smart-phone newbie, trying to sift through what I can/should do or not is tough.  With my PC's, I'm a constant tinkerer (patches, updates, beta versions, etc.), but I really REALLLLY do not want to go that route with my Blackberry!  One of RIM's taglines on their webpages says "More time for life".  Very ironic...when you spend most of your life tweaking your Blackberry!!  Getting 2 Storms (one for my wife, one for me) as a mutual anniversary present was truly a terrible idea.  "So...what did you guys do for your anniversary??"  Took our Blackberries to bed and pushed buttons and got frustrated all night long.  So you see...THIS is why I'm laughing!!

New Contributor

Well I'm probably slow but if you check on the About section in your BB Storm, it will say V4.7.0.65(Platform 4.0.0.82)....seems weird. I'll do the update when I get home...the only thing that bugs me is the fact that my phone rings when the person has already hung up.....and the accelerometer.
New Contributor

I did the update from the BB desktop update.  No change.  It only updates some software especially the BB Desktop. I did uninstall and reinstall Nav and Visual voice (not sure what that was about).  I used a windows Vista notebook.  All went OK. This is my first BB.  I don't know if this will help or not.
New Contributor

Marsh511, I can appreciate what your experience has been. I, too, purchase 2 phones for myself and wife (different occasion -- 2 years with a trouble free E815 Motorola terminated). I received our phones the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and was ready to return them on the Friday after.

I, too, was amazed that BB released a smartphone not ready for prime-time. I had heard so many complimentary things about BB phones. Like you, I too am a tinkere. Was PC/Windows since '86, now Mac Pro since Feb 08. Missing Sync is overrated and overpriced and mediocre in performance. Regret the purchase.

My experience in setting up BBS was not pleasant, but I must say, I'm there now. Email, Bluetooth works with 3 different handshakes HS850, Mac Pro, Acura MDX.

My experience running Fusion inside Leopard was basically a clear runway. Win 2000 Pro detected BBS and I set up a passkey effortlessly. DM installed installed itself without incident and updated itself as easily. Then update our BBSs.

Oddly, the only problems with email result with Verizon.net Central when my wife and I email each other. They don't go through, thank you Verizon. This was confirmed by Verizon Wireless, which I learned is separate from Verizon.net. But our gmail accounts and hotmail accounts go through without incident and emails from the rest of the world as well. Just when it involves Verizon to Verizon. Go figure. Service has been as others describe: Friendly, courteous, seemingly sincere to make it right.

Agree with everyone with the feeling that the BBS was released prematurely and the absence of Mac software versions is an arrogance reminiscent of so many other corporations who are short sighted and slow to appreciate who is out there keeping them in business.

I admire your reaction. Sometimes, it's better to find the irony, humor, the sheer idiocy of the experience. Is this the best BB can do?

Richard 

New Contributor

No this is not the best that BB can do...but there is no perfect phone out there. The only thing that one can do is purchase a phone and hope that it fits their needs. The Storm will not fit everyones needs and wants, but it sure as hell is a good phone compared to all the other phones that I have owned. The only other phone that I cannot complain about in the hardware department is the LG Voyager. The Dare, the Motorola phones, Samsung all have given me major problems(resetting itself without question and erasing major components of the base hardware). So far the Storm has done everything that I have wanted to. Like I said earlier, the only complaints I have are the fact that switching from regular view to panoramic would lag, and the phone being slow to ring when a call would come in. Just did the update and phone works great for me.

But like I said earlier, everyone will have some complain about the phone because there is not a company out there that can make a phone that will every single persons needs and wants.

Look at the Samsung Omnia and the HTC Touch Pro. They cannot perform mutiple applications without the phone starting to lag or freezing up completely. Yes they are very nice phones. Do they have some applications that I wish the Storm had....yes....but would I switch? No. I'm content with the Storm. Yes you have to update it but its for a common good.

-Ed

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530

AcuraTL_driver wrote:

Look at the Samsung Omnia and the HTC Touch Pro. They cannot perform mutiple applications without the phone starting to lag or freezing up completely. Yes they are very nice phones. Do they have some applications that I wish the Storm had....yes....but would I switch? No. I'm content with the Storm. Yes you have to update it but its for a common good.

-Ed

I have the TP and it worked, right out of the box, no waiting a week for updates. While I love the concepts behind the Storm, and it is still here waiting for me to make a decision, any phone that requires 40 hours of training and waiting for update after update wihtout any solution on the horizon leaves me frustrated at best.

And my TP might have a bit of lag but at least I can voice dial, type a message, and take a decent pic.

Sorry, I just think that dumping on the TP if you have never used one might be ludicrous.

Who said I don't own one or haven't used one. I'm speaking about the HTC TP because of the fact that I have had people say that the Storm works somewhat better the TP. I'm not trying to rag on the TP. And I'm just giving facts from what I have seen in my own eyes, that's all. But.....most BB, I thought, needed updates.....and for me that would be a good thing as that would keep the phone updated instead of letting the phone run on the same software even after some other phone comes out with better base software. IDK. Its too early to tell, but don't get me wrong, I'm not straight hating on the HTC man, its a very VERY nice phone. And a person that buys a phone for the camera.....to me that's just stupid. If you want a real camera go get a dSLR camera.

[ Edited ]

I just thought I would put in my 2 cents.

First of all I don't know what the big issue is with syncing the storm to a Mac. I Downloaded the drivers and Pocket Mac from BB for free, plugged my phone into the back of my Imac (not into the keyboard) and I can sync my contacts, notes, Calendars. I can even sync songs and playlists from Itunes and Photos from Iphoto.

I would also like to be able to do the updates through my Mac but that is the only thing that I can't do for now.

On to the phone, I agree that it is slow at times but it has only crashed once for me. As long I don't run every program on the thing at the same time it works great at Navigating through GPS, Music, great at messaging and the web seems quick and simple. I even figured out how to stream my favorite radio station by downloading the link as a playlist into my music folder.

And the phone, remember that feature, the one with the voice coming out of the little speaker thing. That works better than any phone I have ever used. Clear voice, unbelievable noise cancellation (my loud-ass Jeep sounds like a quiet room on the other end)

I don't know what happened. Did I get the same phone as all of you? I have read nothing be terrible reviews of this thing but I am pretty impressed with what this phone can do and I am sure it will get better with an Update of the OS. I guess all you Mac users will have to take another trip to the good old Verizon store to get the Update when it comes out I hope it's worth the gas.

Message Edited by daveherbertson on 12-01-2008 10:26 PM
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I can agree with many of you, at times I feel as tho I am spending more time updating my phone's firmware or searching for answers to my many problems.  But one thing I did today and am VERY impressed with is updating my Storm to the "leaked" .75 firmware upgrade.  WoW!  It sure imporved everything that I had hoped for.  All the apps run much faster and smoother, when I turn the phone it now works in less than a second instead of minutes!  If you are having problems I would suggest you Google the .75 update and give it a try.  It worked wonders for me.
Contributor

I received my phone today at around 1:00 PM and its now 10:02 PM and I'm not having fun to say the least bit. I was a bit perturbed at the light shining through the gaps around the screen but figured I could live with it, just seems a little cheap. A coworker's T-Mobile G1 Phone looks solid and durable, no gaps, but I hate T-Mobile and really want to like this Storm. I am having nothing but problems after installing the Blackberry Desktop, downloads and syncs are extremely cumbersome and really really slow, that I have no choice but to disconnect in the middle of stuck syncing, or downloads. Went out to dinner to get my mind of the frustration of having to wait since Fri. 21 Nov to 1 Dec to find out that my phone is doing all the bad and nasty things every reviewer has been pointing out. It has frozen on me at least 5 times, the accelerometer is slow and locks up, sometimes doesn't even react at all. RIM did a horrible job, and Verizon/Vodafone stood behind product that really is half-baked. I sent off a nasty letter to Verizon Wireless because this is absolutely unacceptable, the out of the box experience should not be like this, it was never like this for any of my other phones including my Treo Smartphone which is another piece of junk, but at least it worked right out of the box.

Now I am stuck, my Blackberry Desktop won't sync properly, Windows keeps jacking it up demanding that I run the app as administrator (even I'm even lucky to get the phone to show connected), otherwise it doesn't want to sync any of my itunes with Rhapsody. So much for no hiccups in the Rhapsody-VCast software too, it doesn't want to play nice. I have to say dinner was quite embarassing showing off my new toy and all it did was lock up on me in front of guests. I think that is the worst PR RIM and Verizon could ever have, it proves they will stand behind selling half-baked goods at any cost. BTW the update feature in Blackberry Desktop is not working. I really want to like the Storm, but man I am so pissed off right now, because it just shouldn't run like this and RIM and Verizon seem to be oblivious to the issue.