Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Maps

JLR200 wrote:

I appreciate all the assistance, but all I really want is to get BB Maps working - and for many other reasons, I don't want google maps - so apologies if I stirred up a hornets nest!!

Read the first post above again, you've been told what is required for BB Maps.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

dfd473 wrote:
GOOGLE MAPS DOESNT USE INTERNAL GPS>> on ANY storm.. Google maps issue.. there have been many heated disussions about this on other fourms.. Sorry if i come accross rude on this matter just wan't to keep the information correct..  Google blamed it on RIM.. but many other NAV programs work with storm internal GPS just fine..

Sorry, you are just wrong about that. GPS is "driving" my GoogleMaps, working on MY 9530 Storm using ATT service. It is not using cell tower triangulation. Believe me, I do know the difference on this matter. 

Each use of GoogleMaps gets me within 3-10 meters of my location, and states as much when I ask it to update my location. I am not getting the broad light blue circle of the cell tower broadcast area, but the pinpoint precise location.

For example, see the screenshots below. I located myself via GoogleMaps in the rear of my office (Screenshot #1)

Then, I walked about the front door and across the street and located myself again. Screenshot #2.

No, it doesn't work on Verizon since they have locked down GPS to BBMaps and Verizon Navigator subscription.

It does however, work on the Storm on other networks. For instance, again, I have the same GPS-enabled Google Maps use on my wife's 9500 Voda Storm.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry, in all of the exchanges I obviously overlooked to say I had already tried pushing service books and I tried it again after you advised - it makes no difference, the application is still not there.

The service books arrive OK.

Best

James

O2 obviously does not support BBMaps on the Storm, then.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

interesting - i guess its possible o2 don't support google maps either which is why i get the blue circle?

J

New Contributor

Okay - just to say I am just sitting down over here in the UK with my knife and fork ready to serve myself a very large portion of Humble Pie.

I just reloaded google maps and sure enough I just got the blue circle and a pretty innacurrate location. Every time I started google maps it prompted me that it was going to acquire information from the radio network that could reveal my location to others and gave me the option to allow or deny - if I deny, it just shuts down, if I allow I get the blue circle - BUT!!!!

Fishing around in options>gps I found a couple of buttons

The first says GPS Data Source and this is fixed as Device GPS

The second says GPS Services and by default is set to Location Off

As long as I leave it like that the blue circle remains but if I switch it to Location On after a few seconds the blue circle dissapears and the the location spot jumps to my exact location.

So I think I have a solution now and will probably unload BBMaps from my device.

Thanks again

James

New Contributor

By the way - if I knew how to post a screen shot I could happily post one with Location and and one with location off.

Best

James

JLR200 wrote:

By the way - if I knew how to post a screen shot I could happily post one with Location and and one with location off.

Best

James

No need to do so... THAT is the correct setting. I could have asked that question earlier--but we were dealing with getting BBMaps to show, anyway, not the other.

So... there are at least THREE storms we know of now for which GoogleMaps does work, lol.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: 8100

Contributor

I am on the Verizon Network and I agree - with the INITIAL install of google maps a few months/weeks ago the app sucked.

There was recently a post that Google Maps had an updated version at which time I browsed to google maps mobile and installed that updated version.  NOW, google maps works GREAT!  It's far more feature rich than BBmaps and just as accurate!

If you are on the verizon network and your google maps suck then I recommend browsing back out to the google maps mobile website (just google "google maps mobile") and downloaded the latest version.