Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Storm - Will Not Turn On (Red Light)

Hello everyone,

I recently dug my Blackberry Storm out of its box and tried to use it again. Unfortunately, it will not turn on.

I can plug it into my computer (Mac) and the Red Light comes on. It will stay on until I open Blackberry Desktop Manager at which point the phone begins a restart cycle. Every now and then it will stop on a battery symbol with a slash through it (there is no battery in the phone), but the second I try to connect to it through the Blackberry Software it restarts again.

I have tried the JML Coder or whatever its called program and every time it tries to connect to the phone, the phone restarts.

This is all I know:

Carrier: Verizon

Phone: Blackberry Storm (Circa 2008)

Computer: Mac

Program: Blackberry Desktop Software 2.4.0 (Build 17)

My phone is out of warranty and ever since it started giving me trouble in 2009 I switched to Android. I have never had a problem with Android, so I forgot to ever go back and see what was wrong with my Blackberry. Hopefully someone can help me out. I can't really 'take it to verizon' because their solution nowadays is just swap it out for a working one, but since this is out of contract./warranty, they'll simply tell me to toss it. I live in Los Angeles, perhaps someone knows someone that actually FIXES Blackberry phones. I know that is a novel idea.

Thanks, hope someone can help!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry Storm - Will Not Turn On (Red Light)

Hello,

Actually, I think that the battery is severely depleted...without a minimum charge, nothing will work.

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Hello sdgardne. Thank you for your help.

I went through both solutions you provided. I bought a new battery and now the phone actually turns on and comes to a screen that says "Reload Software: 507" with a circle and a slash around a window with shapes in it.

I tried to repair using the mac blackberry desktop software, but the fun just resets while the program downloads the files, making it impossible to install.

Any idea how I can fix this so it no longer says "Reload Software: 507" ??

Thank you!

Hall of Famer II

In your situation, a 507 is actually a good thing...507 means that the BB has no OS installed to it, but at least it now powers up.

I do not know how to recover from it via MAC...all of the tricks I know of apply to PC. You can perhaps find MAC-specific help in our MAC-specific forum:

• supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-Mac/bd-p/blackberryformac

From all I've heard, none of the tricks to recover from this exist for MAC, so if you can gain access to a Windows PC, you can perform the following process, which takes away that "automatic" OS search/download that is failing on your MAC, and replaces it with what you control:

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thank you very much sdgardne. You single handedly brought my Blackberry Storm back from the dead.
Hall of Famer II

Excellent! I am glad it worked, and you are most welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates