Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
davidt
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Storm - problems with Emails

Hi

It's my first time in this forum.

I received a new BB storm today and I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE, despite reading loads of helpful comments in this forum, to set up a personal email account or get emails on my BB from my existing email account.

When I use the Wizard the only option I get is to set up an email using the Enterprise Server.

Even when I followed someone's helpful comments on this site and go to the Host Routing Table section and Regsiter - nothing happens and no message arrives (I have done this over a dozen times today !).

Please help !

David

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Re: Blackberry Storm - problems with Emails

Do you have 1XEV displayed on your phone?

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidt

I assume you mean on the home screen ?  No I don't

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante

Correct on the home screen.....what is displayed there as far as signal strength.... (home screen) and who is your carrier?  EV means your on the data network....can you make a phone call?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidt

Signal strength is 3G and full bars.  I can make calls and send SMS.  I am with Vodafone. I can even pick up wireless signals. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante

First try a reboot.....pull out the batt with the phone on, wait 15 sec reinsert and wait the 5 mins to reboot.  Your signal strength is good.  The go to Options>Advanced options>Host Routing tables>(i know you did this already)>menu key> register now.....you have to get a reply....entries in this screen to continue.  Do you have a browser icon or email setup icon (I'm assuming no).  Please advixe.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidt

Ok, thanks.  Have followed your instructions and registered and now awaiting message.

Yes, I have a browser icon (I can use the internet) and in the Setup menu but no email setup icon.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante

Sometimes the host routing tables can take some time to populate.  Look in your "setup" folder....you should be seeing an :email settings" icon to start you email setup.  Let us know .....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidt

Thanks.

OK, perhaps I ought to wait until the morning (it's 2150 here) and see if I have a response - what do you think ?

Am I right in expecting a response from the registration - a message perhaps ?

When I go into the Setup folder I have 3 icons - setup wizard, setup bluetooth and setup vodafone.  If I go into Setup Wizard I get a list of options and one is email setup.  When I click on this I get the following message:

"I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" and the box is checked.  I do not get any other options.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
deano_185

[ Edited ]

Hi David, breathe a sigh of relief as you're about to have your issue resolved.

(I actually just reg'd to these boards in order to reply just to this thread - I normally just troll but I know first hand how frustrating this issue is and felt I had to speak out).

All you need to do is give vodafone a quick buzz. When i first got my storm, when anyone gets one through Vodafone, there are a few things missing (application centre is prob hidden, email steup icon is hidden) to mention a few. All you need to do is call vodafone and telll them you just brought a BB storm and need to activate the internet service on your account (quote your mobile no). the Internet service/BIS is not activated as default with vodafone, you have to call them and have them activate it. this process take 120 seconds over the phone, at which point you will restart your phone and a few icons will be pushed to your handset - including the "email setup" icon. At this point when you go to create an email account, you will have an option for a personal email account instead of just the BES option. you will also then be able to setup email accounts on your handset via a web portal on a PC.

as of right now you do not have a BIS account and therefor cannot use personal email until you set this up.

Please use plain text.