Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
ajmass
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

Blackberry not registering on network

Hi, I recently purchased an unlocked Blackberry Storm 9530 on Amazon to use it on my carrier in Angola's Unitel network. I have purchased a BB plan with my carrier but the phone won't register on the network for BIS. Ive done a security wipe on the device, rebooted the device but nothing happens. Can someone please help me with this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry not registering on network

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ajmass

I've contacted my carrier and they've accepted to enable the device however, when I tried to create an account a pop up message saying: Unable to create account your Blackberry Internet Service is suspended or deactivated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ahhhh...that is very meaningful. It means that for some reason, the PIN of this BB is locked out of receiving BIS services from ANY carrier. It could have been reported as lost or stolen, which would result in this message. But, no one here can do any research on the matter...rather, your carrier would have to be willing to dig deeper for you, including escalating formally to BlackBerry if necessary.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ajmass

[ Edited ]

I wonder why would anyone sell a phone on these conditions!!!! Now I'm gonna have to file a claim on Amazon customer service. Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Note carefully please that I have said nothing with 100% surety...I can only deduce based on what you report here. I cannot say that the device is reported as lost or stolen, only that the message you reported COULD be caused by such a report. But I cannot say if such is the case or not.

In any event, there are hundreds (thousands? millions?) of unscrupulous people out there who sell devices that they have found or stolen, and the buyer is left with a device that they cannot use. Such is the nature of our human society.

But, again, I cannot tell you anything with 100% surety...only your carrier can dig deeper and find out for sure.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.