Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bricked Storm 9530, Attempted Wipe and Complete Reinstall of OS

Hi all,

I was recently using my storm when all of a sudden the screen went black. I tapped on the berries button hoping it would restart. I noticed in the upper right corner the red LED was blinking three times then paused then repeated. I went to crackberry.com to find out how to reinstall the OS since this is what they said would need to be done. I got to the step where the Loader is waiting for my blackberry to respond but it times out since my black berry does not respont. Any suggestions?

A rolling stone gathers no moss... but leaves a trail of busted stuff.
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bricked Storm 9530, Attempted Wipe and Complete Reinstall of OS

You need to wipe the device first with JL_Cmder, then load the OS.

You will need to use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

So I tried this and got to the part where the screen is red and asks you to type in blackberry to confirm the wipe unfortunately when I do, it just goes right back to the menu page.
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

So, is the device currently already wiped, before you tried this?

Then you don't need to wipe it again.

Tip: Make sure you Blackberry > USB is plugged direct to a rear port of the PC, not a USB hub.

Then run the loader fiile located at: c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I don't know if it wiped correctly because it didn't do anything when I ran the program and typed in "black berry". As for which port I am using, I am using the USB port connected to my laptop not a hub.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hey nubs, when running JL_CMDER, you actually want to type in "blackberry" (no space or quotation marks).  That's the problem there.

Now then, you may actually need to go a step further.  Here's a KB article that provides a few more steps on how to force detect the BlackBerry device: KB10144  I'm including the steps below (go through the Loader.exe file instead of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager if you like - this actually seems to work better for most Storm users):

BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5.0 and later

1. Remove the battery from the back of the BlackBerry smartphone.
  2. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
  3. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click Application Loader.
  4. Click Start under the Update Software heading
  5. The Device Password dialog will display. If the BlackBerry smartphone has a password enabled, enter the password. If the BlackBerry smartphone does not have a password, leave this field empty.
  6. Click OK.
  7. If prompted with a list of Available Updates, choose the latest software version by selecting the corresponding check box and then click Next.
  8. Click the Settings button under the Device backup and restore options.
  9. Make sure that the Back up device data automatically during the installation process check box is not selected.
  10. Make sure that the Delete all application data and Erase all currently installed applications check boxes are both selected.
  11. Click OK on the Settings dialog.
  12. Insert the battery into the back of the BlackBerry smartphone.
  13. In the Application Loader wizard, click Next to proceed with the loading process.
  14. When the process is complete, the Application Loader wizard will display the following message: The loading operation was successful.
  15. Insert the memory card, if applicable.
  16. Close the Application Loader wizard.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I did all of that and I provided two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-lfQMTOkcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztyQLllJN4I

One is a video of what I did. The other is a video of the symptom of my Storm. PUHHHLEASE HELP!!!!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

This was a great way to show what's going on, thanks a lot for the videos!  And here's the problem... your PIN isn't even showing up... it comes up as an unknown PIN, meaning that there may even be a problem with the ROM on the phone.  Looks to me like a very serious issue, and likely a hardware issue relating to the memory on the phone.

Just to double-check, did you tried doing the force reload by pulling the battery out and only reinserting the battery when instructed?  I'm just checking more for interest's sake, although I'm pretty sure it won't matter anyhow.

If so, I think it's safe to say you have a very dead Storm.  Looks to me like it's a Verizon Storm, correct?  If so, take it into Verizon and explain what happened and everything you tried.  They may be able to get it back up and running, but chances are that they're going to end up replacing it under the manufacturer's warranty.

If they do end up fixing it, I'd really love to know how as this really seems to me like a serious issue and it likely is beyond bricked.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!