Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
Suradj
My Device: Blackberry 9550

Browser problem on my BB9550

Hi there,

I bought an unlocked BB9550 online, but when I used it I saw a verizon wireless logo.

Now I've activated internet on the simcard that's in the phone, but whenever I open the

browser the EDGE changes in to egde....and I can't open any page....

Can I pleasssse get some help, I would really appreciate it....

Suradj

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Browser problem on my BB9550

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Suradj wrote:

when I used it I saw a verizon wireless logo.

Every BB will always, during boot up, display the "splash" logo of it's original carrier, no matter what carrier you are using it on. You cannot change that, but it also does not affect the functionality on other carriers (as long as the BB is indeed properly unlocked, of course).

Suradj wrote:

Now I've activated internet on the simcard that's in the phone, but whenever I open the

browser the EDGE changes in to egde....and I can't open any page....

Firstly, are you able to use your voice-level services (calls, voicemail, SMS) OK? That's the first level of functionality that must exist before data services can work.

Honestly, the biggest problem you are going to have is that Telesur does not, as far as I can tell, natively support that model BB. Each BB requires Service Books in order for data services to function. The carriers deliver the SB's to the BB's on their network. But, normally, the carriers will only deliver the SB's to the specific model numbers that they directly support...and I do not see the 9550 on the Telesur list. So, you really need to talk to them to see if they can offer you an alternate method by which to get the necessary Service Books onto your BB.

Don't be surprised if they say no...each carrier owns their network and therefore gets to decide what devices they will allow to function on it. They have every right to refuse to allow your BB to function on their network.

There are processes that you can attempt to extract the SB's from a functional BB on the Telesur network, and import those to your BB and perhaps allow it to work. The process is, well, challenging at best. I recommend you first talk to Telesur and see if you can convince someone there to help you out.

Good luck and let us know!

PS -- I'm rather surprised that you ever get EDGE at all!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Suradj

Hi, thnks for the response.

first of all, the all other functions are working fine...(make/receive calls, sms, organizer etc.)

Even the messenger, IM, work well, and in that case i see EDGDE...

but just when i open the browser, the EDGE ( in capital letter) changes immediately

into edge( lower case)...and when i close the browser, then again i see EDGE...

i hope i've informed you a little bit more...

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is very very strange. While I cannot ever be certain at an internet distance, what I fear is that your BB somehow has Service Books from it's original carrier (VZW) that are allowing MOST services to function on Telesur. But, for whatever reason, the Browser app is not able to function, probably because that Service Book is somehow different for Telesur, and the SB your BB has is not accurate for Telesur. But, again, there is no way for me to be certain at an internet distance.

It is also possible that your services are actually being provided by VZW rather than Telesur, albeit transitioning over the Telesur network over to the VZW services. This happens sometimes, when a BB is moved from one carrier to another...the services remain active on the prior carrier for some period of time. But, once that prior carrier realizes that they are providing services to a device without being paid, they eventually turn them off, leaving the user with no services at all. But, again, at an internet distance, it's impossible to know for sure.

I am curious, though...does the browser work at all on WiFi?

I still recommend that you go talk to Telesur and see if they have a BB expert who can, with hands on, determine what is going on and hopefully find you a remedy. I am reluctant to give you any further steps to attempt as I am concerned that those steps may actually break the services that are presently functioning, and I don't want that to happen.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Suradj

Thanks for your interest...

Well this will be even stranger:: If i activate internet through the simcard, then i can't open the browser (as

i told you before), but when i go to Downloads>>Help>>(and then type in) www.google.com, then the browser works fine.

(Extra info: The sim card, on which internet is activated, works fine on other Blackberry)

These days, I'm accesing the internet only through WiFi,because then the browser works well.

I've been to Telesur with this phone, they told me that they can't help me with this phone, because

it's not in their 'list', and they do not have professionals that could work on this specific phone (BB9550).

So I hope if I've given you a little bit more insights...

Suradj

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Suradj wrote:

Well this will be even stranger:: If i activate internet through the simcard, then i can't open the browser (as

i told you before), but when i go to Downloads>>Help>>(and then type in) www.google.com, then the browser works fine.

That is indeed strange. Very strange. Unfortunately, it does not abate my concerns from above.

Suradj wrote:

These days, I'm accesing the internet only through WiFi,because then the browser works well.

That is good...at least you have some functionality of it.

Suradj wrote:

I've been to Telesur with this phone, they told me that they can't help me with this phone, because

it's not in their 'list', and they do not have professionals that could work on this specific phone (BB9550).

Sadly, that only heightens my concerns...if we do anything that causes your services to cease functioning, then Telesur will not be able to help you get it functioning again as they do not support that model (which they have every right to say, btw). 

As I hinted at before, there are things you could try, but my fear is that they have too high a potential to make things worse rather than better for you, so I am reluctant to recommend anything further. Without hands on to dig very deeply into the device, it's just too risky IMO to recommend to you any of the normal remedy steps as they may well break what is presently working. You are using a device on a network that does not support it...that comes with the risk that things will not work completely. And you are in a less than 100% functional state...but I fear making that even worse for you rather than better, especially at this internet-distance.

You need to choose if you wish to accept all of the risk of trying further remedy steps. But, again, I caution you that I believe there is a high probability that any further steps will make things worse rather than better. So you need to think carefully and make the decision. The "worst case scenario" is that all of the presently functioning services cease to work, and your only remedy then would be to buy a new device that is fully supported by the network you wish to operate it on. That is not a trivial decision to make.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Suradj

Thanks for being helpful and honest....

I've just received an email from the seller (online), that I can return this phone.

Again, i'm very thankful that you took the time to reply...I really appreciate that...

Have a nice day,

suradj

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is an excellent outcome! I am so glad that the seller is willing to work with you. Now you will be able to shop for a device that you like that is also fully supported by the carrier you will operate it on...that is excellent

Enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates