11-25-2008 07:43 PM
Folks - it is very easy to complain and be negative, but reality is that this is a great product and it came out a bit too early. The screen resolution & watching the video is just great. RIM is well known to be responsive and they will fix a lot of this soon. I have experiecnced very litle issues so far and I have been using it for 3 days. There a few things I did to make this an exciting experience - some of the hints I found on this forum.
1. Updated my BB using the Desktop Manager and made sure I have the latest version that you can see on the Options/About screen - Version 184.108.40.206 (Platform 220.127.116.11).
2. Then used the Keyrate and Tap settings as mentioned on one of the forum (Kayrate=Normal, Tap=400, Hover=100 and Swipe=3). This was the BEST suggestion as it significantly improved speed and usability.
3. Removed some apps by going to Options/Advanced - things like Voice mail, AIM, Facebook, etc. that I do not need and bingo it became faster!!
THE GOOD STUFF:
1. I just went on a long drive and the VZ Navigator GPS works perfect and to the dot! This ofcourse requires the $10/mo subscription, but it is great. The regular Google Maps is not that accurate and is slow.
2. The camea and video has been great for me so far. No issues. Pictures are sharp.
3. The synchronization to Outlook 2007 was flawless - all contacts and calendar events synced up great! The desktop manager has been good to me. The Media Manager (Roxio) also has been great and I can drag the pics and music I need from my desktop and transfer to the BB in a zip.
4. THe emials and SMS have worked perfectly for me.
1. Not too impressed with the tactile feedback. It does lead to errors a lot. I am sure RIM will enhance this soon. WHAT I WOULD LOVE RIM TO DO IS TO ADD A SLIDE-OUT PHYSICAL KBD. THat will make this Storm a real STORM!!
2. Lack of multiple alarms is a big bummer.
3. Ability to control the lenght of the ring tones is another bummer.
4. BIGGEST negative is that RIM missed the STAND-BY mode so the screen does not come on every time you touch it accidentally and hence drain the battery.
5. Another thing I would like is the ability to LOCK individual apps instead of the entire device. For example, ability to lock the access to Contacts, Options, Email folders, etc. would have been nice. Even my old Motorola V710 flip phone had this feature!
6. Another big pain is the flaw in the accelerometer since it does not turn when needed. I also noticed that when you read emails with the charging connector on TOP and click on a YouTube video link in the email the video plays upside-down!! So, you have to FLIP to watch video. This appears to be a bug I think. Anyone else seen this??
7. and a few more ... but this is a good start for RIM to think of.
Thanks for reading!!
11-26-2008 05:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is the official bug thread but to make it easier for RIM to find these issues I'm reposting my earlier thread here.
The bug was first brought up by the user Jldavis and I confirmed it on my phone.
Landscape mode, composing a text;
I have this problem on my blackberry too. It seems to happen when you have the finger over the D first without depressing but long enough for the O with a x(?) above it to pop up,then highlighting the letter O right after without depressing. I've found that if you push the blackberry button twice you can get out of it but lose the message you were composing. However if you hit the end button first, then the blackberry button, the whole phone crashes to the point where only a battery pull resolves it.
11-26-2008 08:57 PM - edited 11-26-2008 08:59 PM
I have read a lot of posts on this particular thread that mention the phone resetting a number of times during the day. A number of people also seem to be wondering how they can further troubleshoot the issue with either Verizon and/or RIM.
Verizon has dedicate BlackBerry technical support staff who troubleshoot these kind of issues everyday and can escalate to RIM if required.
When dealing with multiple resets its best to collect as much detail as possible in order to define and narrow down the issue. This can include:
- What apps are running in the background or are most frequently used when the reset occurs?
- Is the issue easily reproducable?
- Are similar actions being done with an app when the reset occurs?
- Does the device freeze, reset, or stall?
Additional logging can be enabled and collected after a reset to provide technical support with a possible reason why the resets occur.
11-27-2008 09:12 PM - edited 11-27-2008 09:12 PM
The most important bug that I'm experiencing is that email is no longer going to my BB. It seemed to be fine on Wednesday and this morning some emails came through and some didn't By this evening, I am getting zero emails to my BB. I have Outlook via Road Runner.
12-12-2008 12:38 PM
My BB resets at LEAST 15 times a day. I have heard of many others have also had this problem. I was told the update (released last Friday?) was supposed to address this. It has not.
I resets when I try to use it when it is in standby mode (screen black due to time out). just resets. no error message, nothing. I push ANY button and nothing happens, several seconds later the rede light in the upper right hand corner turns on and I see the timer in the center of the screen.
I love the phone, but this is so annoying if it is not fixed ASAP I will have to send it back before I throw it at a wall.
This is not only bad for business because I want to return it... but it is a sexy phone and everyone wants to see it. The first thing 20 people that I have shown it to have seen is the BB storm do is reset and me swear.
PLEASE, any help is welcome.
12-12-2008 12:42 PM
Officially, I'm not sure where BB is on the OS version. I think .75 is out right now. If you haven't upgraded from .65 to .75, I highly recommend doing so.
I got a hold of .76, which was available, of all places, under Bell Mobility, which doesn't even sell the Storm yet that I know of. Since installing this OS, my phone has been nearly flawless.
I don't know if it was RIM or verizon that rushed the phone to market with .65, but that was a mistake. Keep the faith though, that just about every issue eberyone is experiencing is resolvable with software updates.
Loving my phone now!
12-12-2008 04:22 PM