Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
DravenX
My Device: Not Specified

Can Not View Recorded Vids

I just got my Storm 9530.  I've had a 8130, 8830 and now the 9530.  I still have all 3 but the wife uses the 8130.  Well I was looking and trying the features of the Storm and I recorded a quick video about 2 mins long.  When I tried view the video it the error stats, "The media being played is of an unsupported format."  I go into properties and the file type is .3gp.rem.  The size is showing 0KB.  I am curious as to why a vid that is recorded straight from the phone can't not be played by the phone?  Do I have to take off the .rem on my computer just to play it?

I find this really pathetic and it shows that RIM released the Storm too soon.  Is there a way to fix this?  I would assume the next offical OS release should fix this problem.  At least it better.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DravenX

Re: Can Not View Recorded Vids

Anyone at all?  This is my 2nd attempt to get a response and so far nothing.  No one on this planet can help?
Please use plain text.
CLD
New Contributor
CLD
My Device: Blackberry 9530(Storm)

[ Edited ]

DravenX wrote:

I just got my Storm 9530.  I've had a 8130, 8830 and now the 9530.  I still have all 3 but the wife uses the 8130.  Well I was looking and trying the features of the Storm and I recorded a quick video about 2 mins long.  When I tried view the video it the error stats, "The media being played is of an unsupported format."  I go into properties and the file type is .3gp.rem.  The size is showing 0KB.  I am curious as to why a vid that is recorded straight from the phone can't not be played by the phone?  Do I have to take off the .rem on my computer just to play it?

I find this really pathetic and it shows that RIM released the Storm too soon.  Is there a way to fix this?  I would assume the next offical OS release should fix this problem.  At least it better.

The file extension "*.3gp.rem" is not a problem. This just means that the format recorded can only be played on Blackberry phones. I think it's something wrong with the latest OS update. I updated the OS, and it stopped working also. The older OSes would work on it. Removing the ".rem" won't solve the problem. I checked the data inside my videos, but it's already encoded into it. so you must have a converter or something likewise. I'm still looking for something like that.
Message Edited by CLD on 03-11-2009 12:37 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DravenX

I just got the Storm so my OS is currently 4.5.0.75 but I am going to try a beta to see if it helps any because it does not work straight out of the box.  So my first impression is not good.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
djrupey
My Device: Storm 9500

I received my 9500 Storm early December. I updated to .76 a little while later. So I have the latest official OS. After three months, the video camera does not work reliably. I was at the O2 arena in London last week to see Tina Turner. I recorded various videos, only 2/3 of which appeared to save, and only 1/3 will actually play. I am not best pleased.

Youtube won't work reliably either. Some videos play, others don't.

I love my Storm, but really this is shockingly bad support from RIM. Where is the latest official update? Why are RIM not moving heaven and earth to fix these obvious flaws, and fix them FAST? If they are fixing them -and something must be happening judging by the endless steam of OS betas I read about -why are Verizon/Vodafone not releasing them?

I do hope the CEO of RIM reads these posts, or has an army of flunkeys cherry-picking all the most important points, because much as I like my Storm in many ways, at the Tina concert I was ready to throw my Storm at the stage. That would have done wonders for Storm sales. I can see it now on the Breakfast News   "Irate Blackberry Storm user throws phone at stage, fatally injures rock icon..."

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aldapes

I had the same problem too. There is an earlier thread where someone explained what he does to have it saved and viewed. What i do is i start the video then to end the video i press the BB key. It brings up a menu. Then press the view tab video tab and that stops the video and saves it in your video file. Hope it works for you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djrupey
My Device: Storm 9500

Thanks for that tip, it seems to work, so fingers crossed......
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aldapes

Glad to help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crazysnaps

Finally found this thread and it seems to work fine so thanks a lot.
Please use plain text.
I_hate_my_bb
My Device: BB Storm 9500
My Carrier: vodafone

Well here I am ... and to say that I am on this site means that I like many others are far less than satisfied with the purchase of a BlackBerry cell fone ... I have been locked into this fone for the past 18 months now and I can honestly say that it has been one of THE most displeasurable experiences in my product owning life time ... I myself am a Product designer and from the very first experiences of the Storm 9500 I have been left appalled at the pathetic excuse of a design ... Not just for the screen which allows sand and other pocket debri to enter the fone through the gap running around its outer edge ... but also for the hangs and confused screen data that are a pesistant occurance ... The truth is ... I now know my PUK key number better than i do my own fone number! Useful when the fone needs rebooting as many time a week as this one does ...

Whether it is surfing the net or simply trying to use the functions of the fone ... the BB Storm fails in pretty much all tasks you ask of it ... I do not think that I have ever become as vocal to all those people I know and even to those I do not know ... as to the reasons I would NEVER buy another BB and why i highly recommend that they do not either ... Two friends did not however heed my warnings ... mainly due to the fact that Apple had only allowed the iPHONE to be sold through a single carrier and thus ... like me ... had to opt for the poor choice .... by my oh my did I never realize what a poor choice it would turn out to be ... and to be stuck in such a long contract too ... has just increased the anger and frustration month on month day on top of day ...

I know in many cases I shall be preaching to those who will not listen here and so of course I shall not expect anything back from the words which i tap out here ... luckily though I have a google/yahoo number one ranked website to moan about this in and so I guess I can get some satsifaction knowing that all the many folks I know will read up on a moment in life with a BB in my pocket ... The ultimate joke is why it is that finally after all these months I have now found myself writing on these BB pages today ... As many of you will no doubt be aware ... Spain won the world cup on Sunday just gone ... and ... living in Spain as i do ... it was a major celebration here not to be missed! ... I am not sure how you all celebrate such wins in other countries but here this was something historic ... We have never won the world cup before and so it was of major importance that we should win and especially after such bad gamesmanship from the Netherlands team ... After the match ... my family and I drove into the city and joined the mass of cars honking their horns and waving the Spanish flag precariously from the roofs ... windows and trunks of their cars! ... We managed to park up and wandered for about two hours amongst the revellers ... all the while I was recrording the history of the evening on my BlackBerry 9500 ... All the signs looked good ... the minutes were passing by in the top right corner and the people were all posing for the camera as I wandered through the lanes ... it was only when after much walking that we found ourselves back at the car ... I pressed stop and all seemed well ... nothing was written to suggest an error ... and this was good as I had had previously such messages appear and in fact it had frozen the fone completely a couple of weeks earlier when i was trying to record the first award my 8 year old sobrina had ever won in her school ... So I went home happy from the soccer celebrations ... if a little tired ... having won the world cup and satisfied I had managed to record the event on my BB ... Or so I thought!

On waking I was eager to get the video running and onto one of my websites ... I had also promised a boy I would send to him the video I took of him climbing ... monkey style ... up to the top of a 50m flag pole ... He wrote down his email address for me as the massive crowd continued to cheer his achievement of holding the Spanish flag! ... So of course it was with much horror that when I searched the videos on my fone I could not find it! ... I have to agree with the person on an earlier thread who told of their experience at the Tina Turner concert ... that I too have had similar urges ... but then maybe that is a good way for BB to stay in business ... if we ALL were to smash our fones against walls etc in absolute frustration at the string of inherent faults they possess then obviously BB will not have to fix them ... unless of course BB are kind enough to have a clause in the warranty ... ALLOWING us to vent our frustrations during our 18 month prison sentence with the same fone ... If ever there was an incentive to earn a lot of money it is surely to be able to smash a fone and go buy another brand ... instead of being held captive in a locked in contract for twice as long as it takes to grow a baby in the womb!

Soon I shall be free ... and then I shall be finding my way to owning an iPHONE ... I have heard that they are not so brilliant if you drop them ... which i have to admit is something good about the BB ... but i do wonder if the reason that the BBs survive the falls is because shock damage protection was built into the design as the designers knew that they had to withstand impact with walls ... stages and drops from tall flag poles ... I think I shall make a youtube video of me using the BB Storm ... thus proving it was operational at the time [sort of] and then proceed to smash it to smitherenes for the viewing masses [no idea how to spell that but i wont need to know in a video] there is nothing better than viral venting ... the viewers will all get the messsage :smileyvery-happy: ... I wonder if BlackBerry ever will!? Of course not ... I am not the first to write here ... and i KNOW i will DEFINATELY NOT be the LAST!

Please use plain text.