Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

MUHAMMAD690915
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Can not delete pictures.

CANNOT DELETE PIC SAYS MEDIA" THE SELECTED FILE IS READ ONLY.ARE U SURE U WANT TO DELETE.' WHEN I PRESS YES  IT DOESNT DELETE   HELP

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

MUHAMMAD690915 wrote:

i AM UNABLE TO DELETE A PICTURE THAT I RECEIVED ON BBM AND SAVED IT TO PICTURES..WHEN ATTEMPTING TO DELETE FROM PICTURES IT SAYS "UNABLE TO DISPLAY FILE/MEDIA CARD/BLACKBERRY/PICTURES/IMG0018420101005-4535-JPG...PLEASE HELP

does it work better if you use the "File Explorer" application ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
pitbull1957
My Device: blackberry curve 8520

cannot believe that so many people have had the same problem as i have had recently, the way i got rid of them was to take the battery out for a few secs then put it back thanks to the person who suggested doing that on one of the boards here hope it works for you

Please use plain text.
pikehammer
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Telus

Hey removing the battery worked perfectly  Thanks pitbull1957.  I know this is way after your post but thanks anyway.  I also got back some photos that were mysteriously not saved.  Weird

Please use plain text.
zuri125

I actually seem to have the exact opposite problem. heres basically what happened:

I ran out of space on my memory card so I went to transfer some photos. I have always noticed that the Storm saves two versions of the same photo on the phone (there are literally two files with the same file name in the folders). In the past, I have transfered only one of these duplicates onto my computer, and I have had no problems.

So to cut my memory by half, I decided to delete the duplicates from my memory card. Now, the remaining files are said to be corrupted, and cannot be opened. There are 25 pictures I was never able to transfer to my computer; however, I have the properties for these pictures (file name, file size, date and time), just no actual picture. And now I don't seem to have a memory card folder when looking at my picture gallery.

So two questions are, do the remaining files contain any information on the photos themselves or just on their properties, and is there a way to undo everything i did?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

@zuri125

did you solve your picture problem ? If you did, how did you do that ?

if you haven't yet, I suggest you to read the content of the media card with a PC, and browse for the hidden & system files, and remove all the files named BBThumbs.dat . There should be one in each folder that contains a media file.

this will destroy the cache file.

Then with your device, when entering the media player, the BlackBerry will re-index all your media files and repopulate the cache automatically.

for all remaining images, you have them. For all others, it was just a ghost remain from the cache.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
scooter5519

I have a similar problem. However when I open 4 certain pictures, Delete isn't even a listed option....  Has anyone seen this?  I tried removing the battery like someone suggested, removed SD card too.  Can someone help?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

scooter5519 wrote:

I have a similar problem. However when I open 4 certain pictures, Delete isn't even a listed option....  Has anyone seen this?  I tried removing the battery like someone suggested, removed SD card too.  Can someone help?

yes, The image you cannot delete is already deleted. But its thumbnail remains. You just have to do the BBThumbs.dat trick.

Please use plain text.
justdiego
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone IT

hello everybody..

I'm having the same problem.. I tried to do "the trick" as u suggested BUT... when I look for those files.. nothing comes up! I tried to look into the camera folder, nothing.. then again in the pictures folder.. nothing!

I decided to delete all the pics I had stored (except from those taken wiv my camera and kept in the "camera" folder)..

I also tried to pull off the battery.. NOTHING.

Those 7 files are always in the "picture library" folder on my bb.. So I looked up in the properties where those files are stored in.. it says device! not "media card".. could this be the reason why I can't find the bbthumbs.dat in the media card?

HELP! this thing is driving me crazy haha seriously.. I even thought about restoring everything.. but I decided not to as i'm new with all this stuff (i'm an ex iPhone owner).. so I did not know how to save properly all my contacts and stuff!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

justdiego wrote:

hello everybody..

I'm having the same problem.. I tried to do "the trick" as u suggested BUT... when I look for those files.. nothing comes up! I tried to look into the camera folder, nothing.. then again in the pictures folder.. nothing!

what files are you talking about ? media files, or BBThumbs.dat files ?

justdiego wrote:

I even thought about restoring everything.. but I decided not to as i'm new with all this stuff (i'm an ex iPhone owner).. so I did not know how to save properly all my contacts and stuff!

restoring won't change anything. but if you want to do a backup, you can do that easily with the Desktop Software with a PC.
You can also install BlackBerry Protect that will store your contacts list on RIM's servers. http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Please use plain text.