Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Searching

Re: Cannot activate CDMA Storm on other than Verizon in US

Hi,

I am using a unlocked Verizon 9550.

When I insert a CDMA SIM the network selection it self is not happening in India.

GSM SIM card is accepted.

I have observation - when I insert the CDMA SIM card, it is showing some default phone number.

I feel that some where we need to just change setting ti refresh the new Network settings.

Any pointers

Regards,

CT

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Searching

Hi,

Another observation - the CDMA part seems to be ESN based activation and not SIM based for CDMA.

So does that mean of I get the ESN activated it will work???????

Pls comment gurus!!!

Regards,

CT

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I would suggest that you need to confirm that your CDMA SIM card is on the same bandwidth as what the 9550 Storm will accept.

I.e., yours and verizons could be different.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I did get it working with Sprint.  The issues were not with Verizon having to unlock anything, all of their phones are unlocked to start with.  The technical issues to get it to connect were easy.  The political issue of getting the ESN added to Sprint was the first major challenge.  I eventually got Sprint to agree to this and activate it.  When they went to activate it, they had to notify BB to move the PIN from Verizon to Sprint and shortly thereafter they recieved a cease and decist letter from BB Legal.  That brought everything crashing down.  Very sad that we cannot have a choice of carrier here in the US.  I believe the FCC is pushing hard for this and once they get it, it will be a real wake-up for the carriers and their service.  I have not had it on Verizon for almost two years, recently upgradded to the 9550.  Let me tell you, Verizon's coverage is poor and their 3g when available slow compared to Sprint.  Have you noticed in the Verizon comercials when the guy asks "can you hear me know", you never hear a response......

Sadly stuck on Verizon :-(

The carriers do have the right to determine what devices they allow on their networks.

You want the goverment to force that on private business too?

Not me, too much goverment interference already. Enough is enough.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Sorry, from now on you can only use a Panasonic TV with your Cable TV supplier.  To use a Sony TV you have to switch to DirectTV.  You see where this goes...

EdNewman wrote:

You see where this goes...

no where.
later.

Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

EdNewman wrote:

Sorry, from now on you can only use a Panasonic TV with your Cable TV supplier.  To use a Sony TV you have to switch to DirectTV.  You see where this goes...

Television services are one-way...receive only; telephone services are two-way...send and receive. Television services are transmitted over public airwaves, available to anyone with the equipment capable of receiving; telephone services traverse a private network, available only to those who contract for those services. The analogy does not adequately match.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ten years ago, yes, today, and tomorrow, the TV is becoming more of an interactive hub of home entertainment.  Regardless, the issue here is not technology, it is contracts and choice.  The CDMA Storm can run find on Sprint and ironically, it was not Sprint that put a squash on it. They were allowing it, it was RIM that killed it.  I am not sure if this was initiated by RIM or by VZW and will probably never no.  The simple concept it that there should not be unreasonable restrictions as to which carrier you use.  Let me twist this some more.  Both VZW and Sprint offer the Curve on their networks.  Why do I need to buy a new technically identical phone when choosing to change networks?  I think as new phones become more technically advanced (read as expen$ive) this issue will come more to the forefront.

Ed

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Simple...it's a matter of contract law. When you sign up with a service provider, they agree to provide certain services for the consideration that you provide to them. Under the terms of that contract, they are free to restrict anything that they want as long a both parties agree to it. In terms of this situation, each carrier further (as per their contract with RIM) holds front line support responsibility for all BBs that they sell and operate on their network...they, quite wisely, shy away from supporting devices in which they have not been involved directly in the procurement and operation path. Otherwise, they open themselves up to a truly unknowable cost structure in order to provide support for those unknown devices. Further, even if the device is technically identical to one that they might sell, they would not have been involved in it's entire lifecycle...and therefore may incur a liability beyond their ability to control should they provide support for it. In all of this, reasonableness does not come into play -- contract law is the controlling factor.

That said, one could probably argue that, given the precedent of allowing these devices to operate on their network, that they have established a practice of doing so; if that is in contradiction to a clause of the contract, it may be arguable that the practice overrides the contract. However, I'm pretty sure that they've placed language in their contracts to allow them this latitude yet still allow them to, at their sole discretion, begin to strictly enforce that clause of the contract even if they knowingly did otherwise in the past. But, again, it all remains a function of contract law.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates