Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Cannot disable password for device!

I was playing around with my Storm on the weekend and decided to apply a password to the device. Now I cannot disable it and I hate having it as I am contantly being asked for it. When I go to "Options", and then "Password" there is no opportunity to disable the password function. The enable/disable button at top of the Password page is soft greyed with a teeny tiny red lock beside it and I cannot click on the button. The only thing I can do is change the password. Any suggestions??!!
New Contributor

Re: Cannot disable password for device!

I solved my own problem. I did a handset wipe and that got rid of the password enable. However, when I did a back up to later restore the handset I was careful to select only what I really wanted backed up (address book, calendar, etc.). If oyu do a complete back up you will get the password enabled once you restore again.  
New Contributor

Hi,

I have done the same thing but I can not fix my password problem. I did set a device password but I cannot change it or even remove it. I have a storm blackberry.

Can someone help me with my problem.

Thanks,

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry storm 9530

go to> options>password click on the disabled or enabled button. you will then have to enter the password you entered the first time and then the password should be gone...atleast thats how i did mine, hope this helps

I'm having a similar problem. I have set a device password, enabled it, and now I want to disable it. I am using the disable/enable setting, but it doesn't seem to take effect. It continues to prompt for a password every time the screen locks, even though I've disabled it.

What I hoped for initially is that I could have a password to lock the phone when I manually choose "lock" from the application menu, but that there would not be a password prompt when the screen locks either automatically or via the external button (top left). If I can't have it both ways, fine, but I want to set it back to disabled so I am not trying to enter a password every time the phone rings!

New Contributor

I was having a similar problem.  Under options>Password the enable/disable button was greyed out and had a red lock symbol next to it.  I took it to a Verizon store and they found that under the Options>Security Options>General Settings that content protection was enabled.
New Contributor

The solution is an easy one, and no unit reset would be required

First go to options/memory then look at the "Encryption Mode" to ensure that it is set to "None" 

Then save this change.  Next go to Options/Password and the password option should no longer have the Password "enable/disable" button grayed out (the little red padlock on the left of the password "enable/disable button will also be gone.)

Then select the password disable option and save the change. 

I hope this helps.

When you see that this works for you, I'd appreciate some kudos

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

I did a complete reset of the phone to factory settings, but even then, the PAssword is enabled. How do I disable it? I tried all the options mentioned above but its of no use. Please help me. Encryption mode is set to NONE. But,  the disable option is greyed out with a red lock next to it. How do I change it?

New Contributor

Thanks your suggestion worked to reset my password. Thanks for your great help.

Hey Guys,

This basically means that a previous IT Policy could have been on the device. Could be from a previous owner, a previous BES you were never removed from properly. To do this kind of removal, you must have a device with an OS 4.5 or higher and BB Desktop Manager 4.7 or higher to do this.

Connect your BB to the computer,

Depending on the OS (using XP here) Click on start - Run and type in "CMD"

If you have installed BB Desktop Manager to the default area through installation, you want to type in "cd.."

Type in "cd.." again.

Now, type in "cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader"

Now enter the command "loader.exe /resettofactory" with the space in between.

Confirm this by typing in the device password (hopefully one last time), and it will be wiped a final time and all info will be lost.

DO NOT back up / restore the infomation because the old IT policy will be added back onto the device.

Good luck guys!