Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Case Turns Off Phone

it's a stupid design from a vendor who did not even try to put a real turned on device.

The magnet at the back of the case is the culprit. Either you remove it, or you buy another case.

Style should never come before functionnality. Here, a simple scratch of button would have proven more useful than a dual-magnet closing system.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

There's no need for that.

It's true the case design is not ideal.  Had they moved the back magnet a quarter inch, this thread would not exist.  In addition to being a problem with the hibernation, the existing strap location must also be nudged up to get the USB cable in to the hole.  I'll say it again ... it's not ideal and probably was not tested.

Nonetheless, the real culprit here from an engineering design/usability perspective is Blackberry.  It makes no sense to sell a combination unit and "pouch" that does not serve it's intended purpose of protecting the unit during a frequent, high risk scenario ... namely, when it's being used!

Again, is there a script or hidden setting to turn off the unit's back "proximity switch?"

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

PREVENT case from turning off phone ...

Ah ha

Go to Options and then Password.  Near the bottom you will see "Lock Handheld upon Holstering"... Set this to "No".  Your phone will not automatically lock when proximate to the magnet.  You will of course have to lock it yourself.

I think that having this under "Password" is a little bit bizarre but there it is.

New Contributor

Re: PREVENT case from turning off phone ...

Thanks Geoffreyf, but it's "hibernating" that is the problem ... not "locking."  I stumbled across that particular setting yesterday and thought it was the answer as well.  That setting is however already set to No and I'm still having the problem.

In addition to this forum, I've also asked Verizon and the vendor.  If we somehow resolve it elsewhere, I'll post the solution here.

Thanks again everyone for their help!

Guru I

Tigerz wrote:

Nonetheless, the real culprit here from an engineering design/usability perspective is Blackberry.  It makes no sense to sell a combination unit and "pouch" that does not serve it's intended purpose of protecting the unit during a frequent, high risk scenario ... namely, when it's being used!

The case you bought is not listed in RIM's official BlackBerry accessories. You bought it on your own.

the official list is here :
http://www.shopblackberry.com/_blackberryaccessories/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?page=category&category=BlackBerr...

I have the 9.99USD skin, it's certainly not as protective as your case, but I trust it if I ever make my device fall.

If you want to use another case from another vendor, you'd better read reviews of cases.

Tigerz wrote:

is there a script or hidden setting to turn off the unit's back "proximity switch?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&view=by_date_ascend...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

The alternative here is to simply (and carefully) open up the back of the case and remove the magnet (how you do this will be up to you - whether you open the side stitching or simply cut along one side of the magnet and then reseal the cut).  That's really the only solution I see here if you want to keep using this case (and I looked around extensively for you). 

I completely understand what you're trying to do (simply prevent the back magnet from turning off your device's backlight so that when you open the front of the case, you can start using your phone right away.  The front magnet isn't an issue whatsoever (as that can go right ahead and put the phone in sleep mode when you close the case).  It's just that this was a design flaw on a no name case (let me guess, it was purchased from eBay or something similar, correct?).  Accordingly, you will need to make the adjustments to the case yourself.  The good news though is that with a little patience, you should be able to do this with relatively little effort.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I found a case that has no magnets. For the way I use the phone I found the magnets to be an inconvenience. If you take the case to a shoe-maker you can pay him a few dollars to remove the magnet that is effecting the phone. The phone will go to standby anyways if you set it up in the screen and keyboard options.  If I remember correctly, I set my phone to extinguish the display after 90 seconds.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

This is a very nice looking case. I like the idea of it. It looks like it will offer good transparent protection. 

Can you tell me where you bought it?  If I can buy it, I will get the magnets removed and have Velcros put on to it.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

These are all good suggestions.  The internet vendor I bought the case from has not been responsive.  I have already filed a complaint.  Until that's resolved, I'm uncomfortable cutting the case open or suggesting the vendor to others.

In addition to the vendor, Verizon has been pretty unhelpful.  Between my wife and I, we've talked to a number of their tech support people.  If it's not in their If/Then troubleshooting guide, they struggle.

Another option I've toyed with is some type of EMF shield.  I took mag theory years ago, but we were more interested in calculating field intensities ... I don't recall us doing anything practical like shielding against an unwelcome field.  I've tried a number of materials unsuccessfully.  Whatever we come up with has to be thin ...

I've also looked at other cases.  There's one that folds over from the top (rather than the side).  

All the ideas have been good and much appreciated.  Again, I'll let everyone know how it's finally resolved.

Guru I

Tigerz wrote:

These are all good suggestions.  The internet vendor I bought the case from has not been responsive.  I have already filed a complaint.

Depending on the country where you live, you have a right to cancel the transaction. In France we have 7 Business Days to do so, without having to give an explanation.

Tigerz wrote:

Until that's resolved, I'm uncomfortable cutting the case open or suggesting the vendor to others.

Of course you can't suggest the vendor, but you can at least give it's name or URL so that people can stay away from him for now.

Tigerz wrote:

In addition to the vendor, Verizon has been pretty unhelpful.  Between my wife and I, we've talked to a number of their tech support people.  If it's not in their If/Then troubleshooting guide, they struggle.

I don't blame them, that's the way their job works. We forum contributors could not give any answer before seeing the picture, so I guess it's the same for the vZ hotline. Besides, we all have a Storm on this board, that is absolutely not the case of the people answering the hotline.

Tigerz wrote:

Another option I've toyed with is some type of EMF shield.  I took mag theory years ago, but we were more interested in calculating field intensities ... I don't recall us doing anything practical like shielding against an unwelcome field.  I've tried a number of materials unsuccessfully.  Whatever we come up with has to be thin ...

Even a Faraday cage would not be enough, due to very short distance. Really, it's easier to remove the knits of the case and move or remove the magnet. Once you are sure there is no agreement possible with the marketer.

Tigerz wrote:

I've also looked at other cases.

Don't by the Otterbox case for Storm, there have been some issues with the way it distorts your voice. There is a discussion about it (last message is dated last sunday). A new version of the case will be released as far as I understood things.